530WOSSNAME -- October 2009 -- Part 3 of 4

  • granny_tude
    Oct 26, 2009
      WOSSNAME -- OCTOBER 2009 -- PART 3 OF 4 (continued)

      ====Part 3 -- PLAYS NEWS, GAMES NEWS, ODD SODS, WEIRD ALICE

      15) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      16) ACTION REPLAY: A COLLEGIATE CASTING-OUT
      17) A BREW FIT FOR A...TURTLE
      18) ...AND A HEDGEHOG WHO *COULD* BE...UM...
      19) GOING POSTAL TELEFILM: NOT JUST FOR DISCWORLD FANS
      20) A BLOG REVIEW OF UNSEEN ACADEMICALS
      21) READERS' LETTERS
      22) AN AMATEUR REVIEWER WORTH MENTIONING
      23) ABP BITS

      15) IMAGES OF THE MONTH: UNSEEN ACADEMICALS -- NO ROOM ON THE PITCH

      Sadly for some of us, the upcoming world premiere of Stephen Briggs'
      adaptation of Unseen Academicals is now completely sold out for the
      entirety of its first run. However, as a consolation prize, there
      are some excellent iconographs of the cast on the Studio Theatre
      webbe site:

      http://www.studiotheatreclub.com/CurrentPlans.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) ACTION REPLAY: A COLLEGIATE CASTING-OUT

      For those of you who might not have read this exclusive short story,
      written by Pterry as a one-off for The Times (the Roundworld one!)
      and appearing originally in their Sunday educational supplement,
      those nice people at L-space offer a link to A Collegiate Casting-
      Out of Devilish Devices, an amusing vignette of life at Unseen
      University that also provides some early backstory for Unseen
      Academicals:

      "'Well put, that man!' said Ridcully. 'Ignorance is the key! That's
      how the Dean got where he is today!'"

      http://tinyurl.com/yuxrql

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) A BREW FIT FOR A TURTLE

      When Birmingham City University student Paul Kruzycki went to a talk
      given by Terry Pratchett in 1995, it changed his life. First he
      decided to organise the first Discworld convention:

      "The event was a big success, drawing 1,000 fans and Pratchett
      himself. Kruzycki, now 38, organised more events but 'took his eye
      off the financial ball' and costs rocketed beyond the budget."

      And then, in 2002, he founded Bursar Vixen Enterprises, a company
      brewing Discworld-themed beers under licence from Pterry himself.
      Since then fortunes have changed, but the Bursar Vixen Enterprises
      produce, now renamed Ales by Mail, went from strength to strength
      and even included, yes, Pratchett-approved sausages...

      http://tinyurl.com/yllutms

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) A HEDGEHOG WHO *COULD* BE...UM...

      What do you call a hedgehog with no spines? "Spud", apparently. Here
      be an article about a rescued hedgehog with a mysterious disability.
      It's heartbreaking, but it's also heartwarming, because the kindly
      volunteers at Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital in Aylesbury,
      Buckinghamshire, England have given the wee beastie a good and
      comfortable life that includes daily baths and moisturising.

      "When he was brought in he seemed pretty cheesed off with life, but
      now he's a normal hedgehog in everything but appearance. I don't
      think he realises he hasn't got any spines."

      All together now: Daww!

      http://tinyurl.com/cjoppy

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) GOING POSTAL TELEFILM: NOT JUST FOR DISCWORLD FANS

      "For Going Postal Sky are looking to have a show that can reach
      beyond the Terry Pratchett fans and appeal to a broader audience.
      However, [producer Sue] De Beauvoir is looking to strike as good a
      balance between pleasing the fans and bringing in a new audience,
      and having a template to work with is a huge help with this. 'It's
      not starting something from scratch.' De Beauvoir said. When asked
      about adapting the book De Beauvoir revealed that she is a big fan
      of the novels central story, but she also appreciates the fact that
      it is very British. 'Terry is very much a defender of the ordinary
      man and British society, saving the Post Office, and to me this book
      has got all the things Terry feels very strongly about'..."

      http://scifipulse.net/?p=12570

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      20) A BLOG REVIEW OF UNSEEN ACADEMICALS

      A longish, thoughtful and decidedly un-culchie review on the Irish
      site culch.ie:

      "Alzheimer's is such a hideous, bastard of a disease... and to see
      the author of the books that I love – and I really mean LOVE --
      stricken, handicapped and just unable to type out the characters and
      the words that would bring me another joyous escape into the
      Discworld was awful. Awful. So I didn't really look out for when
      the new book would be out. It would happen when it would happen. God
      help him, he had enough to be worrying about and besides, I delved
      right back into the Discworld, starting this time with Small Gods
      and working my way on. But -- and here it is, pre-finished as all as
      I am -- Unseen Academicals is superb. I don't just mean it's a
      good Discworld novel or a great read or a nice compromise
      considering the circumstances, I mean it's fantastic and funny and
      brilliant and interesting and informative and is well on its way to
      being my favourite of the entire series... I'm flying through the
      book not because it's any more simple than the others, but because
      the story is so well told, the characters so rounded and believable,
      the setting so rich and despite it being about football, it really
      is just a great Ankh-Morpork story.... Terry Pratchett never lost
      it. Fine, his PCA might be preventing him from doing it as quickly,
      but the quality, the eye, the genius is still there..."

      http://tinyurl.com/ygl34bc

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      21) WOSSNAME READERS' LETTERS

      Reader Tamar offers some thoughts on some of the topics in last
      month's "ABP BITS" section (27.1 A QUESTION ABOUT WIZARDS'
      UNIFORMS... and 27.2 ...AND ANOTHER ABOUT WIZARDS', UM, RECREATIONAL
      ACTIVITIES):

      I think Sourcery is also the first time Rincewind _has_ a hat.
      In TCOM, Rincewind is grilled by the tree woman and claims
      his hat blew away, but it's clear that he didn't have one.
      His medallion is never mentioned again in the series.

      I believe it is in Sourcery, again, where a specific wizard
      is described as wearing _blue_, but it has no significance;
      it's just his personal choice.

      Witches can have offspring and there's no problem.

      The seven boys who were the Sourcerer's older brothers were
      each as powerful at birth as the most powerful adult wizard
      in the world. What happened to them?

      Infants aren't known for good sense, and when an infant
      wants something, they want it now. So In My Opinion they
      probably died very young.

      I think the power will out, one way or another. Perdita X Nitt,
      for instance.

      =Tamar, former ABPer

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      22) AN AMATEUR REVIEWER WORTH MENTIONING

      Dark Knight rides' introductory Terry Pratchett page:

      "Terry Pratchett is one of the funniest authors on the shelves
      today. He takes a very skewed look at the fantasy genre, as well as
      Shakespeare and politics and casts it through a kaleidoscope of
      chaos. With a dry and cynical sense of humor, he takes on current
      events and twists them to make you see both the humor and the
      tragedy..."

      http://hubpages.com/hub/Terry-Pratchett-reviews

      DKr's individual reviews of Discworld novels:

      http://hubpages.com/hub/Small-Gods
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Eric-A-Discworld-take-on-Faust
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Witches-Abroad
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Men-At-Arms
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Mort
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Reaper-Man
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Moving-Pictures
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Wyrd-Sisters-1988
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Sourcery
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Guards-Guards
      http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Light-Fantastic
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Lords-and-Ladies
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Equal-Rites
      http://hubpages.com/hub/PyramidsDiscworld
      http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Colour-of-Magic

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      23) ABP BITS

      23.1 THE MASTER STILL HAS HIS MARBLES

      Sorry it's too late for most people, but I have just come across an
      interview with the Great Man in the above journal.
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/6231337/SIr-Terry-Pratchett
      -interview.html

      -- Anthony

      I was quite floored by this:
      'However, I do get a lot of weird Christians with a little red glint
      on their spectacles and spittle at the corner of their mouths who
      say things like, "The Commandment says, Thou Shalt Not Kill." And I
      always say, "Well, that's rather strange given how bloodthirsty
      Jehovah was." Personally, I think the Commandment should read, Thou
      Shalt Commit No Murder, which is rather different.' That's actually
      exactly what it says. In Hebrew, "Thou shalt not kill" would be "Lo
      Taharog". The commandment instead says "Lo Tirtzach", which indeed
      means "Thou shalt not murder".

      As for the interview, I was quite heartened by it, in fact. He
      obviously still has all his intellectual faculties, which is not
      only good news for us but for him as well. I've never met the man
      in person, but he seems to positively revel in ideas and words, so
      the fact that he's fully capable of both is a good thing.

      -- Daniel

      23.2 ...AND ATE'NT DEAD YET

      I just finished UA and thought it was well up to SirPt's usual
      standard: highly re-readable.

      But he brought in so many earlier characters--only the witches
      are absent, really--that it made me nervous lest it's a signal
      that he plans to quit writing, or quit writing about the DW.
      Admittedly many of chars brought back are in bit parts and in the
      case of Oats offscreen altogether. But it's still worrying.

      Is SirPt already working on another, does anyone know? Am I
      being silly for worrying? Anyone have any Views?

      -- A. (Grateful-but-Nervous) Reader

      He's presently working on I Shall Wear Midnight, which I believe
      is a Tiffany Aching book. And he speaks very highly of the
      dictating software he's using.

      -- Ottert

      It sometimes reads like a grand finale, with everyone on stage,
      doesn't it? Still, Mr. Pratchett^W^W Sir Terry has already made
      public references to at least three more Discworld novels:

      - I Shall Wear Midnight (Tiffany Aching)
      - Raising Taxes (Moist von Lipwig)
      - Scouting for Trolls

      AIUI, I Shall Wear Midnight is already pretty far along; as for the
      others, we'll have to see.

      -- Michael

      Speaking for myself, I hope he never stops writing. When and if
      he does, the world will have lost a treasure.

      -- A. Reader

      23.3 THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE DISCLY

      My favorite Discworld book is, bar none, Night Watch. I also love
      Small Gods, which I've noticed has got a lot of puppy-kicks in
      discussion about Unseen Academicals.

      With Night Watch, my love is primarily because the book is a
      character study of Sam Vimes. We see Vimes at his most strained and
      stressed- even more so than Thud!. We see Vimes, a man whose life
      has been built on a career where the job description is continually
      trying and failing to prevent disaster, put in the ultimate
      trying-and-failing-to-prevent-disaster situation. We see him tested
      almost to breaking point on multiple occasions, giving him multiple
      opportunities to show his true quality. It's a journey of the soul
      which, although it has its moments, is not a particularly funny book.

      With Small Gods, I love the book because of its spot-on
      demonstration of almost every form of human nature. It's a book about
      insights- insight into how people really work, how religions rise and
      fall, how belief succumbs to blind ritual. It's also a classic "buddy"
      story, except that one of the buddies happens to be a god, and the two
      characters involved are played off one another excellently.

      What are my least favorite books of the series? Easy: bronze, The
      Last Continent; runner-up, Soul Music; winner, Moving Pictures.
      All three books suffer from the same problems: too many jumbled
      viewpoints with no clear running thread; weak plot; and, above all,
      too much emphasis on finding things to satire within the target topic,
      and not enough emphasis on either character or plot.

      I re-read Last Continent occasionally. Soul Music, rarely. I keep
      a copy of Moving Pictures only for reference purposes. Reaper Man,
      which suffers from many of the same structural problems as Soul
      Music and Moving Pictures, is saved by strong characters
      (especially "Bill Door") and two serviceable plots.

      -- Redneck

      Your likes and dislikes are the exact opposite of mine and for,
      pretty much, the same reasons. The books you dislike and reasons
      that you dislike them are the very reason that I like them. That
      said, as the majority of the DW series fall into the type/s that
      you dislike, I wonder why you continued to read them? Why read a
      whole series of books that you do not like? I really am interested
      by the way.

      -- Trev

      If you did not get all four parts, write: interact@...