496WOSSNAME -- MAY 2009 -- PART 1 OF 5

    May 28, 2009
      MAY 2009 (Volume 12, Issue 5)
      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      time)

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      1) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
      2) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      3) A KNIGHT AND HIS SWORD
      4) "NATION AT THE NATIONAL" CINEMA TOUR
      5) OYCSMtM WRITERS INTERVIEWED
      6) TRUCKERS: AN UPDATE
      7) A LETTER TO THE TIMES
      8) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      9) GUARDIAN FICTION PRIZE: CALLING YOUNG REVIEWERS
      10) NATION NOMINATED FOR SIDEWISE AWARD
      11) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS AND REVIEWS
      12) IAN STEWART HONOURED

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS, REVIEWS AND STUFF

      13) GOING POSTAL: ALMOST READY TO START DELIVERY
      14) NATION NOMINATED FOR AUDIO AWARD
      15) THE COLOUR OF MAGIC: TOP OF THE POPS
      16) PTERRY AT THE DARWIN FESTIVAL
      17) A BLOGGER'S REVIEW: NATION
      18) THE GLORIOUS 25TH, A GOOD TIME FOR BOOKCROSSING
      19) MORE NEW DISCWORLD MINIATURES FROM MICRO ART
      20) MARVELLOUS DISCWORLD DOLLS
      21) TECHNOMANCY BRINGS DISCWORLD TO YOUR PHONE
      22) IMAGES OF THE MONTH: UNSEEN UNIVERSITY BALL
      23) GOING POSTAL NOMINATED FOR FRENCH FANTASY PRIZE
      24) NATION A FINALIST IN LOCUS AWARDS
      25) CONVENTION NEWS
      26) THE *OTHER* PRATCHETT NEWS
      27) TOLKIEN'S MIS-TAKE ON FANTASY AND POPULAR CULTURE
      28) ROUNDWORLD'S PROBLEM-SOLVING LIBRARIANS

      ====Part 3 -- ODDS AND SODS AND WEIRD ALICE

      29) EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT GOLEMS
      30) A.B.P. BITS
      31) WEIRD ALICE PRESENTS

      ====Part 4 -- YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      32) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 5 -- HOROSCOPE, LATE BREAKING NEWS, AND CLOSE

      33) HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED
      34) LATE BREAKING NEWS

      1) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

      "Okay, that's it. We've just reached the end of Unseen Academicals.
      THE END. Now all we've got to do is go back and do all the back-
      filling."

      -- Pterry, at 8:09am, 19th May, as posted on his Twitter account

      "Work on I Shall Wear Midnight will, in theory, begin immediately,
      but will probably be held up by the necessity to tidy up the office
      so we can at least find the kitchen. And the floor."

      -- Pterry again, of course, from his update at PJSM Prints

      It's a quiet month on the Pterry front, which is to say there's only
      -- only! -- another round of honours and nominations, more
      preparations for upcoming conventions, filming about to start on
      Going Postal, a renewed possibility of a Truckers film, and an ever-
      increasing number of Pratchett and Discworld references out there in
      the "ordinary" world...and of course, the news that Unseen
      Academicals is finally (pretty much) finished. Here's hoping this
      means that our good Sir will get a few moments to rest from his
      rounds of duties before starting the next book! On with the
      festivities...

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) A KNIGHT AND HIS SWORD

      It's been a long, long time -- possibly forever -- since a knight of
      the British Isles made his own sword, but that's not dampened Sir
      Pterry's enthusiasm for the project. Quite the opposite, in fact.
      Read about his recent experiences of kiln-building, ore-gathering
      and smelting here:

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/news/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) "NATION AT THE NATIONAL" TO TOUR THE CLICKS!

      We already rejoiced at the news that the National Theatre is going
      to perform Nation during their 2009 season. Now, more good news for
      Pratchett fans in the provinces: Nation has been added to the list
      of the season's plays that will be filmed live and then shown in
      selected cinemas in the UK and abroad:

      "NT Live's pilot season will be launched on 25 June, when Phedre,
      which stars Helen Mirren, Dominic Cooper and Margaret Tyzack,
      becomes the first of the National Theatre's shows to be broadcast
      in high definition to over 60 UK and 170 worldwide cinemas. It is
      followed on 1 October by the Clare Higgins-led production of All's
      Well That Ends Well. Mark Ravenhill's adaptation of Terry
      Pratchett's Nation, the National Theatre's new family drama for
      2009, and Alan Bennett's new play The Habit Of Art, which will star
      Michael Gambon, Alex Jennings and Frances De La Tour, will both be
      screened in early 2010."

      http://tinyurl.com/pcskkv

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) ONLY YOU CAN SAVE MANKIND: INTERVIEW WITH THE *OTHER* WRITERS

      "If sci-fi and songs are your thing, you'll want to hear the new
      album featuring songs from Only You Can Save Mankind... 10 per cent
      of the profits will be donated to the Alzheimer's Research Trust,
      where Terry Pratchett is patron. A full production of the musical
      will tour the UK in 2010, to be followed by a West End transfer --
      but what took them so long to move from festival fringe to star-
      studded studio? Carrie Dunn met the composer and the lyricist to
      find out..."

      Here be an interview in Broadway World with Leighton James House and
      Shaun McKenna, who wrote the music and lyrics for Only You Can Save
      Mankind, the Musical: "Though Only You Can Save Mankind is bright
      and energetic and jolly, it's not fluffy. It's got a bit of
      substance to it..."

      http://tinyurl.com/pvaoxa

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      6) TRUCKERS: MAYBE IT'S A BOYLE FILM AFTER ALL

      "However, this was before Boyle's film Slumdog Millionaire won 8
      Academy Awards at this year's Oscars, including Best Picture, Best
      Director and Best Screenplay. Now Truckers, the first in Pratchett's
      Bromeliad trilogy, is not only back on but, according to The
      Hollywood Reporter, Slumdog scribe Simon Beaufoy has also signed on
      as scriptwriter..."

      http://tinyurl.com/qajmmy

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      7) A LETTER FROM SIR PTERRY TO THE TIMES

      Sir, I am very definitely a high-rate taxpayer, although in self-
      defence, I must admit I have become so simply by writing a lot of
      fairly harmless books over a very long time rather than by, for
      example, ripping the heart out of the financial system through
      unbridled greed.

      So I am, therefore, somewhat peeved to find that, now, slightly more
      than every other word I write will be written for the Chancellor of
      the Exchequer, who will undoubtedly waste the money on computers
      that don't work and other people's duck shelters.

      I have been enormously buoyed up, though, by hearing from
      journalists and other pundits that "the rich won't end up paying
      the 50 per cent income tax because their smart accountants will find
      a way around it". When I put this to my own accountant, a senior
      member of a reputable London firm, he laughed and said: "Unless
      you want to go and live abroad for a very long time, or associate
      with some extremely unsavoury people, or invest in risky tax
      schemes, then for someone like you there is really nothing that can
      be done."

      I assume he knows his stuff and the tax authorities know theirs, so
      why is this bland assertion repeated so regularly?

      Sir Terry Pratchett
      Salisbury, Wilts

      PS. I have no intention whatsoever of moving to a firm of
      disreputable accountants.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      8) ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

      8.1 From The Med Guru:

      "The government is doing a lot in the field of Dementia and
      Alzheimer's research, but that is not enough, asserts the
      Alzheimer's Research Trust... By 2025, one million people are likely
      to be affected by dementia... Sir Terry Pratchett, Patron,
      Alzheimer's Research Trust, reposing faith in the effort put in by
      the trust, opined, 'I'm left with an overwhelming sense of optimism.
      I'm absolutely certain that Alzheimer's is going to be tamed.'"

      http://tinyurl.com/ouc75m

      8.2 Pratchett hits out at counties without memory clinics (This is
      Gloucestershire):

      "The novelist, who revealed he had been diagnosed with the
      degenerative disease in 2007, has said he is 'disgusted' with
      counties such as Gloucestershire having no memory clinics. His
      comments come after the Government announced plans in February to
      plough money into dementia care across the country..."

      http://tinyurl.com/ompy3t

      8.3 A new diagnostic method for predicting Alzheimer's risk:

      Pterry isn't directly involved in this article, but it's worth a
      reprint, not least because he *is* the recognised "face of
      Alzheimer's advocacy" now and they used a good photo of him to catch
      the reader's eye...

      "Researcher Deborah Barnes of the University of California, San
      Francisco, said having a tool that can predict the risk of
      developing Alzheimer's could help doctors keep an eye on patients
      and help companies develop drugs to treat the early stages of the
      mind-robbing disease... 'This new risk index could be very important
      both for research and for people at risk of developing dementia and
      their families,' Barnes said."

      http://tinyurl.com/p8p55x

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      9) GUARDIAN FICTION PRIZE: CALLING YOUNG REVIEWERS...

      Nation has been nominated on the "longlist" for the Guardian
      Children's Fiction prize, and there's an interesting challenge for
      young reader-reviewers:

      "The winner of the £1,500 prize -- the only children's award in
      which authors are judged by their peers -- will be announced on 8
      October 2009, following the unveiling of the shortlist in September.
      Young critics will also be able to have their say in a competition
      launching this weekend at the Hay festival, which invites those aged
      16 or below to write a review of not more than 200 words of one of
      the longlisted books, and submit it to the Guardian. The 10 best
      reviews will win sets of the longlisted books for their schools and
      themselves, and a book voucher."

      http://tinyurl.com/of5a2w

      To download a Young Critics entry form in PDF format, go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/plkfc7

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) SF AWARD NOMINATION FOR NATION

      The 67th World Science Fiction Convention (Worldcon) takes place
      this August in Montreal, and Terry Pratchett is nominated for Nation
      for the 2009 Sidewise Award for Alternate History, in the Long Form
      category. Six books have been shortlisted for the Sidewise Award,
      which has been presented every year since 1995.

      The contenders for this year's award can be viewed at:

      http://www.uchronia.net/sidewise/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) THE PLAY'S THE THING

      11.1 MONSTROUS REGIMENT IN ICKENHAM

      The Purple Theatre Company will present their production of
      Monstrous Regiment next month, adapted by Stephen Briggs and
      directed by Mel Walker and Tim Williams

      When: Wednesday 17th June - Saturday 20th June 2009
      Venue: The Compass Theatre, Ickenham
      Time: 7:30pm
      Tickets: £11 (opening night all tickets £9; concessions available
      Thursday only, £9)
      Box Office - 01895 673200 (open Mon-Fri 10:30-17:00, Sat
      10:00-13:00)

      For more info and an image of their excellent poster:
      http://www.purpletheatre.org.uk

      (thanks to From Rim to Hub for the heads-up)

      11.2 AS THE VAMPIRES SUCKED, SO DID THE ORCHESTRA...?

      From the Southport Visiter:

      The Derby Players' production of Carpe Jugulum, which ran at
      Ormskirk earlier this month, found it first had to conquer an
      unusual challenge. "Director Kevin Green explained: 'The play calls
      for a bad orchestra and we have been able to persuade Ormskirk
      School to have their orchestra record a suitably bad piece of music
      -- or rather, a good piece of music played badly!'"

      http://tinyurl.com/q5s6hz

      11.3 REVIEW OF WYRD SISTERS IN ARRAN

      From the Arran Banner:

      "'We decided one night to try out the special effects...
      Unfortunately after setting off the first one -- which produced a
      lot of smoke -- we suddenly heard an alarm going off and before we
      knew it the fire crews from Lamlash and Brodick were on the scene.'"

      http://tinyurl.com/o7ja7y

      11.4 DARING TO BE WYRD

      The Twyford & Ruscombe Theatre Group have started preparations for
      their production of Stephen Briggs' adaptation of Wyrd Sisters, to
      be staged later this year in Loddon Hall, Twyford (UK) on 8th-10th
      October. The read-though took place on the 19th of May, with
      director Jocelyn Robinson saying, "The play has lots of cameo parts,
      especially for men, so this is a golden opportunity for anyone who
      has not appeared on stage before," but those of you who wish to join
      the theatrical mayhem might want to check to see if parts are still
      available!

      For more information about the show or to buy tickets, which cost
      £6, call 0845 450 1308 or visit the group's website at:
      www.twyrusdrama.org.uk.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) IAN STEWART GETS A GONG

      Science of Discworld co-author Professor Ian Stewart will be
      presented with the Christopher Zeeman Medal at a ceremony at the
      Science Museum in London on 9 June. Jointly awarded by the London
      Mathematical Society and the Institute of Mathematics and its
      Applications, the Zeeman Medal recognises the contributions of
      academics in promoting mathematics to the public.

      Stewart said, "We need to explain to the public -- who are perfectly
      capable of understanding things if we strip out the jargon -- the
      kind of things we're doing. It's not educating an ignorant public,
      it's engaging with the public and giving them some understanding..."

      http://tinyurl.com/qnw25c