484WOSSNAME SPECIAL EDITION -- MARCH 2009

    Mar 9 10:40 PM
      MARCH 2009

      SPECIAL EDITION: MARCH NEWS THAT JUST CAN'T WAIT

      2) EXTRAS! EXTRAS!
      3) PRATCHETT MONTH ON SECOND LIFE
      4) TERRY AND ROB ARE A-TWITTER
      5) THE CURSE OF THE LANCRE PLAY

      Just a few items here, but all of them are either time-dependent or
      too exciting to wait for the regular issue. The title EXTRAS!
      EXTRAS! above is no mistype -- Mob Films is now gearing up for
      Going Postal, and once again fans are most welcome to apply for
      places as extras in the crowd scenes. Also, an amusing bit about an
      ongoing production of Wyrd Sisters in England, a new presence on
      Twitter, and a wonderful-sounding celebration of Sir Pterry and his
      works on Second Life.

      We'll be back in a couple of weeks with more news and all the usual
      WOSSNAME features. Enjoy!

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      2) EXTRAS NEEDED FOR THE TELEFILM OF GOING POSTAL

      Yes, it's Discworld-on-the-screen time again, and Mob Films, makers
      of Hogfather and The Colour of Magic, have a few openings for extras
      to join the crowd scenes. Going Postal will be filming in Hungary,
      starting in about seven weeks' time. So if you happen to be
      wondering about an exciting place to take a holiday, this could be
      just the thing for you!

      Note: this offer is open to anyone anywhere on Roundworld, not just
      European fans. Below are details from Mob Films and from Pterry and
      Rob, reprinted from the PJSM Prints news page at www.pjsmprints.com

      A letter from Mob Films' Rod Brown:

      Dear Rob & Terry,

      I want to give you and the Discworld fans, many who have written to
      me, an update as to our filming plans for Going Postal.

      We are planning to commence filming in Budapest at the beginning of
      May 2009. The shoot will last 9 weeks, which will take us into July.

      The day-to-day filming schedule will be issued much nearer the
      shoot, probably in mid April. This will follow the recces and
      planning in Budapest that is currently taking place.

      When the schedule is issued, I will advise you of the days we are
      planning to shoot crowd scenes.

      I should stress that we will have plenty of Hungarian extras to
      complete scenes on these crowd days however, if a limited number of
      invited fans are interested to make their own way to Hungary and
      accommodate themselves in Budapest, we would be very pleased to
      welcome them on set. The current plan is to have one central
      Budapest pick up point, and at an allocated time we would pick them
      up and transport them to the set.

      There are a few notes of caution, which people should bear in mind
      if contemplating the trip:

      We have to reserve the right not to film the crowd scenes on the
      days which are scheduled. To explain: most of the crowd scenes are
      filmed outdoors and if the weather is bad, we may not film in the
      open on that selected day and we would have to cancel the crowd
      scenes to film other scenes inside a studio (weather cover scenes).
      However, we would still pick up the fans that have made the effort
      to travel and bring them to set for a tour and meet with the
      producers, which will probably last about an hour or so, but we
      would have to reschedule the scenes to another day.

      Once we announce the day when people are welcome to join us in
      Budapest, please do not just turn up on spec as access to the set
      will be by invitation only. There will only be a limited number of
      allocated coach seats and the studios are in the countryside well
      outside of Budapest.

      The other issue that I should point out at this time is that we are
      not in a position to guarantee "Premiere screening tickets" to
      anyone at present, whether you have joined us on set or not.

      As to what you will receive from us in the form of recompense;
      everybody who does don a costume and is involved in the filming will
      receive the same fee as a Hungarian extra, which is about £25UKP.

      Sorry to throw out some negatives here, but I want people to fully
      realise what we can offer to you in Budapest if you are planning to
      travel.

      We really do appreciate people's support of our filming,
      especially on set, where the fans who made the trips to Horsley
      Towers and Pinewood, were a fantastic addition to the atmosphere of
      the movie.

      I will supply more information right here as we get nearer to
      filming.

      Thanks and all best wishes.

      Rod Brown - Producer
      The Mob Film Company

      IN BRIEF, THE IMPORTANT BITS FROM TERRY

      To be invited to the set of Going Postal, this is what you have to
      do:

      Firstly, wait for the announcement here on www.pjsmprints.com/news
      confirming applications are open.

      Applications will only be accepted by email to a specific address
      that we will give you once applications go live. Please do not
      contact Mob Films or PJSM Prints directly.

      If you have already been an extra, then we know who you are and
      then, as old hands, you don't have to send us a photo. If it's
      your first time then a photograph should be included in your
      application. You do not have to be in costume, but we do need to
      see what you look like ("This is a picture of me at my sister's
      wedding and that's me in the third row" really does not cut it.)

      Please note that this is open to fandom at large, not only UK fans,
      but we really must reiterate that access onto set is strictly by
      INVITATION ONLY.

      We will announce dates, progress and updates on this page
      (www.pjsmprints.com/news) as regularly as necessary.

      As we have said, ever since this was first mooted, we will welcome
      invited fans to the set of Going Postal, but we cannot possibly pay
      for their travel or accommodation or ancillary expenses. We expect
      that there will be a high take up on this, since indeed it is not
      just open to UK fans, and so ALL applications will go into the
      proverbial hat. We will make the draw one week after the date the
      fan day has been announced on this page and let successful
      applicants know as soon as possible. In other words, there will be
      a one week window in which to apply.

      A FINAL NOTE FROM TERRY & ROB

      Fans who have taken part with Mob Films before know that they do
      this sort of thing out of an inexplicable fondness for fandom.
      They're doing it because fans would like to be there, not because
      they are actually necessary for the making of the film. It's a
      gift, in other words, and it's unfortunate that there's no
      possible way of selecting everybody, but the lucky ones who do
      actually make it onto the screen will be paid the local going rate
      for, lets face it, something that they really, really want to do in
      any case. Grumble by all means about the shortage of numbers, but
      this is filmmaking. You could try and get a better deal from George
      Lucas. We don't think you will, because Rob has tried fifteen
      times already :)

      IN BRIEF, THE VERY IMPORTANT BITS TO REMEMBER

      DO be patient.
      DO NOT CONTACT Mob Films directly. They're very busy planning a
      movie.
      DO NOT CONTACT US regarding applications until applications are
      open.
      DO NOT CONTACT US regarding travel.
      DO NOT CONTACT US regarding accommodations.
      DO NOT CONTACT US regarding places to eat.
      DO NOT CONTACT US for the location of the studio.

      FINALLY, if you are successful in your application it is for YOU
      ONLY. It does not include your boyfriend, girlfriend, partner,
      wife, husband, mum, dad, sister, brother, children, nan, grandad,
      niece, nephew, aunt, uncle, neighbour or your special friend. Or
      your cat *

      (signed) Terry Pratchett

      * Sgt Braille has asked if he can bring his cat and will now not be
      joining us in Hungary. Let that be a warning to all of you.

      [Thanks again to www.pjsmprints.com for these updates! -- Ed.]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) GET A (SECOND) LIFE - IT'S PTERRY MONTH!

      In Dublin's fair city -- the virtual Dublin in Second Life, that is
      -- it's March: The Month of The Flying Fruitbat! In which O'Caseys
      Bar celebrates ALL things Terry Pratchett, in their own words:

      After JK Rowling he is the best selling English author-- and is much
      much funnier! We are all massive fans down here in O'Caseys bar and
      we have decided to celebrate this mans awesome talent by holding a
      month long orgy of Pratchett indulgence! And to do this we need YOUR
      help-- you the fans of Terry Pratchett! You see we believe the best
      content comes from the users of Second Life-- from fans themselves.
      For two reasons-- one 'cos its more passionate. And two-- 'cos its
      free!!!! (obviously) Come be part of the fun!

      One-- Turn up and enjoy our stonkingly funny Pratchett events!
      Two-- TAKE PART in our stonkingly funny events.
      And what events are they? Well, there are two types of events...

      *My Favorite Pratchett Chapter!!! This is the main kind of event-
      you pick ONE chapter of Terry Pratchett from ANY of the Discworld
      books- and we listen to it. Either YOU read it aloud or you ask one
      of O'Caseys staff to read it aloud (we be good at this) and everyone
      turns up and just giggles...

      *The Unseen University Lectures! Simply-- wherein you, being a total
      fan, get up and talk about some aspect of the Discworld for about an
      hour. Or so. And make it interesting...

      Oh we said there were three ways you could get involved-- way number
      3? Tell other Pratchett fans about this!

      For more information and details on the Pterry-madness, go to:

      http://community.livejournal.com/second_lifers/937665.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) PTERRY AND ROB ARE ALL A-TWITTER!

      Yes, Team Pratchett now is Twittering to the world. Among other gems
      of short-message information is the observation that although the
      recent UK blizzard's deep snows have cleared, Pterry's email
      "mountain" is still high enough to have snow on its upper reaches:

      http://twitter.com/terryandrob

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) THE CURSE OF THE SCOTTISH, UM, LANCRE PLAY?

      David Walker, who plays Duke Felmet in the Sefton Theatre Company's
      current production of Wyrd Sisters, broke a literal leg not long
      before the play opened but decided to carry on regardless.

      "I'm normally the complete opposite of superstitious. If someone
      says to me, 'Don't say the name Macbeth', I'm the type who would
      scream it seven times. But funnily enough I hadn't said it this
      time, and it got me! ...You're not supposed to say 'good luck' to an
      actor because it's bad luck, so you say 'break a leg'. Well I've
      already done that for the whole cast!"

      And Walker has incorporated his walking stick into his
      interpretation of the Duke. Good on him!

      Wyrd Sisters finishes its run on 14th March, so there's still time
      to see witches, wyrds and the crocked (and crooked) Duke at the
      Southport Arts Centre Studio, 7.45pm nightly, with a matinee on
      Saturday, March 14. Tickets are £7 or £5.50 concessions. To book,
      call the box office on 01704 540011.

      Read the rest of the article here:

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1p6n

      The company certainly have put their hearts into this production --
      read about it here:

      http://tinyurl.com/dceqyg