472WOSSNAME -- DECEMBER 2008 SPECIAL EDITION

    Dec 30, 2008
      SPECIAL EDITION, DECEMBER 2008 (Volume 11, Issue 12a)

      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the worldwide
      American Discworld Society and other continental groups.

      A very special announcement:

      ARISE, SIR PTERRY!!!

      WOSSNAME is hugely delighted to report that Terry Pratchett will
      receive a knighthood in the New Year's honours list.

      Due to the vagaries of the British honours system, Pterry will be a
      Knight Bachelor, which differs a bit from receiving a knighthood in
      the Order of the British Empire, of which he's already an Officer
      (OBE).

      We join with Pratchett fans around the world in extending our
      heartfelt congratulations. Woot woot woot!

      Some twenty-and-a-bit months ago:

      "I think that making me a knight would be extremely silly, and would
      therefore embrace the idea in true Chestertonian fashion by taking
      it seriously. I would buy a suit of armour (and stand vigil over it,
      but since praying in a chapel is not my scene, maybe the Humanists
      would let me sit in their lobby and read Darwin. Maidens, dragons...
      oh, the possibilities are endless."

      -- Terry Pratchett on the possibility of being knighted, in a
      conversation started by the one and only Bruce Richardson on
      Alt.Fan.Pratchett (13th April 2007)

      ...and now:

      "There are times when phrases such as 'totally astonished' just
      don't do the job. I am of course delighted and honoured and,
      needless to say, flabbergasted."

      -- Terry Pratchett on the reality of being knighted (30th December
      2008)

      Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

      The BBC:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7805468.stm

      The Press Association:
      http://tinyurl.com/8fwqrk

      The Independent:
      http://tinyurl.com/9algy7

      Google:
      http://tinyurl.com/6wvo8r

      (this last link is likely to contain numerous other links as the
      page is updated)

      So raise your glasses to Sir Pterry! For he's a jolly good fellow,
      and so say all of us...

      And a happy new year to one and all!

      --Annie Mac, Editor