403WOSSNAME - DECEMBER 2007 -- SPECIAL BULLETIN

    Dec 16, 2007
      1) A LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

      To all WOSSNAME readers and assorted KFL members, I bring you
      greetings and sad tidings.

      It's just possible that some of you -- assuming that you've been up
      a mountain, in a coma, or spending the recent weeks dead for tax
      reasons -- haven't heard the distressing announcement about Pterry's
      state of health. If so, or if you only heard it at several removes,
      here is the news in the Master's own words:

      AN EMBUGGERANCE

      Folks,

      I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while, but
      because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my
      publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news. I
      have been diagnosed with a very rare form of early onset
      Alzheimer's, which lay behind this year's phantom "stroke".

      We are taking it fairly philosophically down here and possibly with
      a mild optimism. For now work is continuing on the completion of
      Nation and the basic notes are already being laid down for Unseen
      Academicals. All other things being equal, I expect to meet most
      current and, as far as possible, future commitments but will discuss
      things with the various organisers. Frankly, I would prefer it if
      people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at
      least a few more books yet :o)

      Terry Pratchett

      PS I would just like to draw attention to everyone reading the
      above that this should be interpreted as 'I am not dead'. I will, of
      course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else. For
      me, this maybe further off than you think - it's too soon to tell. I
      know it's a very human thing to say "Is there anything I can do",
      but in this case I would only entertain offers from very high-end
      experts in brain chemistry.

      ------------------

      AN UPDATE

      Folks,

      My good friend Sandra Kidby of PJSM Prints is allowing me to use her
      website because I am proverbially too busy to run one of my own. We
      have hardly the time even to read the thousands of messages that
      have come in here, let alone reply to them, but thank you all.

      Could I make a small comment, however? Lots of people are sending me
      plot ideas. Please, I have a lot of ideas. There is no shortage of
      ideas and ideas sent to me, even with the very best of intentions,
      are carefully filleted out of the correspondence before they even
      get to me. I know they are sent in an effort to help, and I
      appreciate this, but I advise you not to waste your time.

      I am also getting a lot of requests for interviews. I am not giving
      any because everything I have got to say or that can be said is in
      the bulletin below. There is no point in saying it again, but in a
      different order.

      Can I remind everybody that I still aten't dead, even today.

      Thanks again for all your good wishes.

      Terry Pratchett

      ------------------

      Yes, this bites. Harder than an unenlightened Uberwaldean vampire.
      But please, everyone, remember that it does NOT mean the end of
      Pterry or the end of his writing! There has been an enormous amount
      of traffic in the various online Pratchett communities, and a number
      of well-meaning fans are posting "get well soon!" messages;
      unfortunately, in the current era, early onset Alzheimer's is not a
      condition from which one can get well. But it *is* a capricious and
      generally unpredictable illness, which means that some sufferers can
      continue hale and hearty, with their mental faculties effectively
      undiminished, for years and years.

      That's *years and years*.

      So please join me in wishing Terry Pratchett a rousing chorus of
      "get not-worse soon!"

      My own take on it is that the man deserves a well-earned rest,
      should he wish to take one. He has already given us dozens of
      peerless novels, not to mention stories and essays and unadulterated
      cats. He has already earned the undying admiration of many millions
      of readers around the world. He has seen his tales become stage
      plays, animated films, audiobooks and now, telefilms. He has created
      characters -- a world -- a mythos -- that will last for generations.
      He has been honoured with awards, salutes from on high, and letters
      from the Queen. If Pterry chose to relax and enjoy an early
      retirement, I certainly wouldn't presume to complain.

      Again, please join me in wishing Terry Pratchett all the best of
      good health and long life, and -- here and now, in 2007 -- a very
      happy Hogswatch, warmed by the love and admiration of fans around
      the world. And if any of you know of any genuine Igors who might
      have slipped through the rubber sheet of interdimensional realities,
      do contact his publishers with all due haste. So say all of us!

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      Note: both of the above announcements can be found in their original
      form at:

      http://www.paulkidby.com/news/index.html

      2) HOGFATHER 2007 CHRISTMAS BROADCAST

      A note for our European readers, in case the December issue of
      WOSSNAME is delayed:

      Sky 1 and HD (channels 106 and 175) will be showing Hogfather on
      Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at 8.00pm.

      Wouldn't it be lovely if this becomes a yearly tradition!

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo