362WOSSNAME -- JULY 2007 -- part 2 of 7

    Jul 24, 2007
      WOSSNAME -- JULY 2007 -- PART 2 OF 7 (continued)

      ====Part 2 - MORE NEWS AND THE SUCH

      5) DISCWORLD JAMBOREE UPDATE
      6) A WORLD GONE MADDE!
      7) JOSH KIRBY EXHIBITION UPDATE
      8) FORTHCOMING DISCWORLD BOOKS TO ORDER
      9) PARTY WEAR FOR THE FASHIONABLE ASSASSIN
      10) HOT POTATOES
      11) SIMON'S HOROSCOPE PROOF REVISITED
      12) GOOD OMENS: MAKING SCENTS

      5) DISCWORLD JAMBOREE UPDATE: THE PRESENCE OF THE MASTER

      Pterry will be attending the Discworld Jamboree between 3-5 August
      2007 in Wincanton, Somerset. A number of signing sessions have been
      arranged during the event. Details can be found in the the Members
      Area of the Discworld Jamboree website:

      http://www.discworldjamboree.com/

      Updated information will also be posted on notice boards during the
      Jamboree.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      6) JAMBOREE UPDATE 2: A WORLD GONE MADDE! WITH 1,000 FERRETS!

      (Well, possibly not quite that many - as fearless Fi notes in her
      lead-up to the Wincanton Jamboree)

      The Discworld Jamboree Wincanton Somerset 3rd-5th August 2007
      by Fi, Roving Jamboree Reporter

      The world is a funny old place you know, but it seems there is no
      place funnier and quite frankly, downright weirder at times to be
      than slap bang in the centre of Discworld fandom. Maybe I should
      explain.

      I bumped into an old school chum recently. It was a chance meeting;
      I hadn't seen her for a while and we went for coffee and a catch-up.
      She's had another baby, her and hubby are off to France with the
      kids this summer and they've redecorated, blah blah blah. Then she
      focused attention on me. 'What have you been up to lately?'

      It was at this point that I panicked a bit; you see my raison d'etre
      at that specific moment in time was to find somebody prepared to
      stuff a couple of ferrets down their trousers in a humorous fashion.
      So I told her and then watched the changing expressions on her face
      as she tried desperately to think of a sensible reply; you could
      almost see the mental cogs trying to change gear. I put her out of
      her misery in the end and explained.

      The Cunning Artificer in Wincanton in Somerset is hosting the first
      ever Discworld Jamboree, Scouting for Trolls. We have Hodgesaargh!
      the buzzard making its first appearance with Wessex Birds of Prey
      Rescue, Knights of Honour re-enactors, a Gangshow, and Magic show
      and of course ale. Knees will be bared, knees that probably haven't
      seen the light of day in years, the first-aiders will be on hand
      with smelling salts for the faint-hearted and rumour has it that
      Stephen Briggs is wearing a kilt. Gods help the people in the front
      row when he gets up on stage to host The Maskerade.

      Anyway that's enough from me. I shall say thankee and close with the
      advice to buy the July edition of SFX, the advice was from a man
      that knows.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      7) JOSH KIRBY ONLINE

      As part of its current exhibition of Josh Kirby's artwork (see last
      month's article), the Walker Art Gallery now offers series of web
      pages charting the progression of Kirby's career. Discworld readers
      already familiar with his love-em-or-hate-em cover art might be
      surprised to learn that he was already well-known for his work as a
      science fiction and fantasy artist. Another interesting fact is that
      it was at Terry Pratchett's own request that Kirby painted the cover
      art for 26 Discworld novels over a period of fifteen years:
      'Kirby's highly original, inventive paintings for Terry Pratchett's
      novels are synonymous with the author's work, capturing the frenetic
      pace of life in the Discworld. Pratchett has said: 'I only invented
      the Discworld. Josh created it.' Reflecting on his enjoyment
      illustrating them, Kirby described the books as "Bruegel in literary
      form."'

      Sources:
      http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/walker/exhibitions/joshkirby/
      http://pratchettnews.vox.com/library/post/terry-pratchett-news-
      update-for-july-4-2007.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      8) NEW DISCWORLD BOOKS: GET YER PRE-ORDERS IN NOW!

      For those who don't already know, the next Discworld novel is set
      for release in the UK (according to amazon.co.uk) on 24th September
      and in the USA (according to amazon.com) on 1st October. Here be
      blurb:

      "It's an offer you can't refuse. Who would not to wish to be the
      man in charge of Ankh-Morpork's Royal Mint and the bank next door?
      It's a job for life. But, as former con-man Moist von Lipwig is
      learning, the life is not necessarily for long. The Chief Cashier is
      almost certainly a vampire. There's something nameless in the cellar
      (and the cellar itself is pretty nameless), it turns out that the
      Royal Mint runs at a loss. A 300-year-old wizard is after his
      girlfriend, he's about to be exposed as a fraud, but the Assassins
      Guild might get him first. In fact lot of people want him dead. And
      every day he has to take the Chairman for walkies. Everywhere he
      looks he's making enemies. What he should be doing is...Making
      Money!"

      Editions in both countries (including the audio versions) are
      available for pre-order on Amazon. Go on, you know you want to:

      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Making-Money-Terry-Pratchett/dp/0385611013/
      ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b/202-1214455-8223843

      or http://tinyurl.com/33b7jv

      Also coming soon: Feegles! Illustrated! Blue!

      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Illustrated-Wee-Free-Men/dp/0385612540/ref=
      pd_sbs_b_1/026-4632618-9766849

      or http://tinyurl.com/36sv42

      Source: http://pratchettnews.vox.com/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      9) WATCH THAT PARTY DRESS, IT'S A KILLER

      From the website of non-fiction author Gail Bell, a little something
      to warm the cockles of Lord Downey's icy heart:

      "When the paste is dried and polished, the cloth dazzles like an
      emerald. Fully rigged for dancing in matching gown, headdress, fan
      and shoes, the young lady is carrying enough arsenic on board to
      kill everyone in the room."

      Bell explains: "In the Sydney Sun-Herald Books Extra section, 15th
      April 2007, best-selling British author Terry Pratchett named my
      first book The Poison Principle as one of 'five books that changed
      me'. He singles out the story of the lady in the arsenic-laced
      ballgown for special attention.

      http://gail-bell.com/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) FOR ADULTS AND WIZZARDS ONLY: HOT HOT POTATOES!

      If only Rincewind had a Roundworld internet connection...

      http://www.potatofetish.com/

      (Yes, I know, this is a family newsletter. On the other hand, while
      there might be such a thing as spud pornography -- no, I really do
      NOT want to know if there is! -- the only people for whom this site
      won't be work-safe are potato farmers and grocers who spend far too
      much time in the company of vegetable beds...)

      The things one finds on the anternet, eh?

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) A NOTE FOR SIMON'S JUNE HOROSCOPE MATH-THAUM-ATICAL PROOF

      The mathematically minded among you may have noticed that the guest
      horoscope for Lesser Umbrage included a number of symbols for the
      calculation of the month's star advice. It's been brought to my
      attention that Yahoogroups emails may not have rendered these
      symbols correctly -- so if you wish to see what Simon said, in plain
      text, go to: http://tinyurl.com/3yswqx

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) SMELLS LIKE PTERRY SPIRIT

      Good Omens: you loved the book, now wear the scents! Black Phoenix
      Alchemy Lab is offering the Good Omens Collection -- perfumes based
      on and created to suggest the qualities of characters, locations,
      and concepts in this exquisite Terry Pratchett-Neil Gaiman novel.
      All made with the official blessing of the authors, of course!

      Perfume oil blends are $25.00 per 5ml amber apothecary glass vial
      and include Agnes Nutter (gunpowder, charred wood, smoke, and rusty
      nails), Aziraphale (ethereal musk, blonde woods, and dusty Bible
      accord), Crowley (infernal musk, red patchouli, lilac cologne,
      mahogany, lemon rind, oakmoss, leather, and vanilla husk), Shadwell
      (roll-ups, mildewed raincoat, sweet tea, and condensed milk), and
      War (red ginger, black spices, patchouli, honeysuckle, and three
      blood-soaked red musks)

      The Good Omens Collection is a non-profit venture, with all proceeds
      split between the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund and the Orangutan
      Foundation UK.

      To order: http://blackphoenixalchemylab.com/goodomens.html

      If you did not get all seven parts, write: interact@...