331WOSSNAME -- FEBRUARY 2007 -- PART 1 OF 6

    Feb 25, 2007
      FEBRUARY 2007 (Volume 10, Issue 2)
      Part 1 of 6 Sections
      nominated for a fanzine award.
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: T.F. (`Tiff') Peasey
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Convention Reporter: Empress Hania Trzaskowska
      Puzzle Editor: in hiding
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      Emergency Staff: Jason Parlevliet, Nathan Clissold, Dylan Williams
      Art Director: Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      EDITORIAL

      ====Part 1 - THE AUSDWCON - THE CON COMMITTEE SPEAKS

      1) THE OFFICIAL REPORT - by Danny Molokov

      ====Part 2 - THE AUSDWCON - THE OFFICIAL REPORT CONTINUES

      1) THE OFFICIAL REPORT CONTINUES - by Danny Molokov

      ==== Part 3 - THE AUSDWCON - A PLETHORA OF REPORTS

      2) A SPECIAL VIRTUAL REPORT - by H.P. Lovecraft
      3) THE EMPRESS HANIA'S IMPRESSIONS - by Hania Trzaskowska
      4) SIGNING OF THE OGG BOOBIES - by CMOT Dibbler
      5) ON THE SCENE REPORTS FROM AUSTRALIA - by Paul Blake & Libwolf

      ====Part 4

      6) LOCAL SUPPORTING MEETS - The Non Mel-Meet - by Annie Mac
      7) YOUR DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE
      8) LOCUS REPORTS TERRY ON TWO TOP LISTS

      ==== Part 5

      9) WEIRD ALICE SONG & NEWS
      10) PTERRY NEWSROUND
      11) NON-REPORT OF THE LONDON NON-MEET
      12) IAN RICHARDSON DIES AT 72 by Annie Mac
      13) LATEST DETAILS ON THE NEXT TERRY BOOK

      ==== Part 6
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      14) LETTERS FROM ALL OVER
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      EDITORIAL

      Here it is -- the Special Convention issue you've been waiting for!

      Many thanks to our giant staff in Australia and the US,
      especially the lovely Annie Mac, our Managing Editor; to
      SteVen D'Aprano and Paul Blake, our fearless reporters;
      to the Empress Hania, ruler of Upper and Lower Australia;
      to Jason Parlevliet, our Staff Technomancer; and to our
      special staff from the Underwater Campus of BU, located
      off the coast of Miami, Florida in the US, and, of course,
      to the helpful Elder Gods at Cori Celesti and R'lyeh.

      We are enormously grateful to the AUSDWCON for their
      new concept of "virtual attendance," an idea which may well
      revolutionize all future conventions. Here are the reports on:

      THE FIRST AUSTRALIAN DISCWORLD CONVENTION

      With Complete Official, Non-Official, Fake and Virtual Coverage
      by a Vast Horde of Reporters, including Convention Spokesmen,
      H.P.Lovecraft, the Empress Hania, Local Pratchett Fans, and
      Mr. CMOT Dibbler.
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      Nullus Anxietas: The Australian Discworld Convention
      Melbourne, February 9-11 2007
      Guest of Honour: Terry Pratchett
      Virtual Guests of Honour: Stephen Briggs, Bernard Pearson,
      Colin Smythe, Ian Stewart, Jack Cohen
      http://www.ausdwcon.org
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      1) THE OFFICIAL REPORT
      by Danny Molokov

      Wow, what a weekend it's been. The Convention was awesome, the
      best I've ever been to...but then again, it was also my first Convention :)

      To summarize: WOW.

      To expand a bit: I'll go through what *I* did at the Con, and my comments
      on various bits and pieces, and my perspective is by no means the only one.

      The Nullus Anxietas website is http://www.ausdwcon.org
      The Nullus Anxietas Photo site is
      http://www.flickr.com/groups/nullus_anxietas

      In the beginning, there was the word. And the word was "Hey, you!"

      FRIDAY FEBRUARY 9 -- I arrived at the Carlton Crest hotel at about 10.30am,
      checked in, didn't have my room straight away (it wasn't ready), so sat down
      in
      the lounge and waited. Registration for the Con wasn't until 12, so a little
      time was killed, and then I wandered around seeing where everything was. In
      the end, I did a little bit of help with the setup (stuffing bags) and then
      we
      started lining up for registering. Yep, got the Gala Dinner ticket, got my
      name
      badge (ooh, I'm a panelist) and my showbag full of goodies.

      Off to the Volunteer's Guild - turns out they were looking for extra
      volunteers to act as crowd control/timekeepers on sessions, not
      extra info for people who'd already volunteered. No worries. Already
      had set up what I was helping with, so I didn't take on too many
      extra responsibilities, and spent the time reading through
      the Con booklet laughing at all the many little bits and pieces.

      Went to check if my room was ready - it was! Ok, so move in, unpack
      suitcase, have a little lie down :) Ok, up and at them again... back to the
      Con!

      Future of Discworld - our speculation session. I came in, found a seat,
      and discovered a few people in front of me talking to a bald, bearded
      gentleman with a hat and an English accent, kindly pointing out that
      this session had stipulated "No Terry Pratchetts".Terry then of course
      graciously - with a bit of a pretend huff - excused himself, and we
      started speculating wildly - Will Carrot and Angua have puppies?
      Which character will die? Will we ever see Esk and Simon again?
      Interesting stuff to see what people think could happen.

      Next up I had arranged a private rehearsal of our Pyramids script reading -
      myself and 9 volunteers who I hadn't met in person before. Erm... make
      that 8. Robbie had unfortunately got some medical issue with his vocal
      chords and had called me ahead of time to say he might not, then later
      would not, be able to participate in the crypt reading, as it probably
      wasn't
      good for his health.

      A big thankyou to Nick who stepped into the role of Dios with an hour
      of warning before the rehearsal and did a tremendous job.

      The rehearsal went well, and everyone seemed to be able to get through
      their parts OK,even if Nick stumbled over the repeatedly long utterances
      of "His Greatness Teppicymon XXVIII, Lord of the Heavens, Charioteer
      of the Sun, etc etc..."

      By the time we finished, there was still time for a bit of a wander, and
      it appeared that Terry was 'holding court' in the Mended Drum - well,
      basically, he was sitting there with a large crowd around him, and he
      was talking. Boy, can this man talk! About anything and everything,
      and it's never boring :)

      Next up - Pratchett vs Rowling. Toni was running this session, being
      involved in both fan circles and doing a PhD on something to do with
      the psycholog of fandom, and it was interesting to hear the ravidness
      of both sides of this divide.

      To be honest, I'm a mad Discworld fan, and I've read the Harry
      Potter books, but they are "ok" and not super brilliant... in my
      opinion, of course. In the end, the whole stink about whether
      Terry is jealous of Rowling's success was put to death by the
      man himself - Terry stood up on stage and explained where a
      lot of the furor arose - some shoddy Journalism in the Times
      in an article about Rowling (and how she didn't think she wrote
      fantasy) and Terry's subsequent letter to the editor attacking
      the shoddy journalist and *not* Rowling. After all, they both
      have big piles of money they can swim in.

      At six o'clock, every night, Sam Vimes reads "Where's My Cow?"
      to his son, young Sam. So did we. Kerry read through the story
      and a few random volunteers and myself sat up the front
      providing the voices for the 'human' bits. After doing all the ones
      in the book (Foul Ole Ron, Coffin Henry, CMOT Dibbler, Sergeant
      Detritus, Lord Vetinari, etc.) we kind of went freeform, with the
      four of us up the front quoting a line and the audience guessing
      which character we were - and beyond that, the audience started
      throwing out lines of their own. It worked quite well, and was a
      good bit of fun!

      AND NOW, THE CLEARING OF THE THROAT

      We watched a short video presentation - "Run, Rincewind, Run" -
      by the Snowgum Films team - culminating in Rincewind
      accidentally zapping himself into another world... ours! He finds
      himself in Melbourne, spent a while running around some of the great
      Melbourne landmarks, and ends up at the Carlton Crest, and then
      rushes into the auditorium! After screaming loudly, he
      grabbed a glass of water, drank it all, took a deep breath, and then
      screamed again. Then he did the same with a carafe of water.

      Then he discovers a book up the front - The Last Continent.
      He flips through, makes appropriate gasps at all the horror he's been
      put through, then finds the author photograph. Looking at the picture
      and the people in the audience carefully, he eventually finds Terry -
      looks him up and down - and says "You BASTARD".
      And then runs out! Abso-fricking-lutely hilarious. Well done to all
      involved in that presentation.

      Welcome messages from Pat and Terry, huzzah, we've all begun :)

      Our first virtual guest is Stephen Briggs. A few video hiccoughs leaves
      us purely with Stephen's voice and a great lot of info is imparted about
      Stephen's experience with Discworld Theatre, and also all the other
      stuff he's done - the Companion, Diaries, Maps, Audio Books, and
      just about everything else as "Chronicler of Discworld". Great stuff.

      Now we're off to Trivia. I walk up to a random table, and ask the man
      there - Michael - if I can join his team, as I don't really know anyone.
      He says sure - turns out it's mostly his family, plus a few friends
      Lisa and Colin. Well I think they're glad I picked them - we won :)

      I apologise to all others there, I just knew the answers to almost
      everything! The only ones we got wrong were: - in which book did
      Vimes last drink alcohol? (Men At Arms, we wrote Feet of Clay.
      We remembered the scene right, but picked the wrong book).
      And what is Undecided Adrian's surname? (He was present
      at the Con, but not near our table, so we didn't know...) I've
      already pledged to run next Con's trivia session, just simply
      because it prevents me from winning :)
      (continued on Part 2)