31WOSSNAME - September 2000

    Oct 14, 2000
      September 2000 (Volume 3 Issue 9)

      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the Klatchian Foreign Legion
      and also its affiliates, including the North American Discworld Society and
      other continental groups. Are you a member? Yes, if you sent in your e-mail
      address. Are there any dues? No. Dues are only required if you want to
      join the Guild of Fans and Disciples and receive the discounts on books and
      other items available through their bulk purchases.

      1. Reports from Our Far-Flung Outposts
      2. How I Discovered Terry Pratchett
      3. From the Mailbag
      4. Auditors
      5. Webmaster Abducted by Aliens
      6. Member Countries

      1) REPORTS FROM THE FAR-FLUNG OUTPOSTS
      OF THE KLATCHIAN FOREIGN LEGION

      BULGARIA:

      Hi, Joe
      here is my answer to the questions you had...
      > Would you like to tell us how Terry Pratchett
      > books are doing in Bulgaria?What languages are the books
      > available in?

      Here is a list of the books I have, with the publishers incl., they all are
      translated in Bulgarian:

      A List of Terry Pratchett's Books

      Discworld Books

      Eric, Vuzev Publishing House, 1992
      The Colour of Magic, Vuzev, 1992
      The Light Fantastic, Vuzev, 1993
      Sourcery, Corgi Books, 1993
      Equal Rites, Vuzev, 1994
      Mort, Vuzev, 1995
      Small Gods , Vuzev, 1996
      Soul Music, Vuzev, 1997
      Guards, Guards, Vuzev, 1998
      Men at Arms, Vuzev, 1998
      Interesting Times, Vuzev, 1999
      Hogfather, Vuzev, 1999
      The Last Continent, Vuzev, 2000
      Feet of Clay, Vuzev, 2000

      Other Books

      The Carpet People, Prozorets, A.R.T., 1992
      Truckers, Prozorets, A.R.T, 1992
      Diggers, Prozorets, A.R.T, 1992
      Wings, Prozorets, A.R.T, 1992
      Johnny and the Bomb, Prozorets, 1996
      Johnny and the Dead, Prozorets, 1997
      Good Omens, Prozorets, 2000

      >Are there any local clubs?Any activities like meetings or
      conventions?
      Sorry, but I don't know about something like that... :-((
      We, (read people in Bulgaria) are very busy thinking 'bout the daily
      survival...
      Very Ankh Morporck similar..reality
      But I promise to bring the idea to more people...

      Regards,
      Bozhidar Velikov
      velikov@...

      -----------------------------
      RUSSIA:

      I am from Russia. I was born and I live in Moscow (in capital Russia).
      Here very much love to read (even in the Metro(Underground)).
      I am not an exception. I take a great interest in a fantasy (russian and
      foreign authors).
      Here is almost any author of the world in Russian translation now.
      I have read the story recently. It was the "The Sea and Little Fishes"
      (Russian).
      It is excellent. This story has reminded me books of Jerome Klapka Jerome
      :))))
      I am reading other books from a series of the Discworld now.
      The books about the Diskworld are very popular here.
      They cost not expensive 0.5-1 $ USA. Editions are 10-25 thousand copies.
      But some books is finding difficult now. I hope, that there will be
      additional edition.
      The books have cover art by Josh Kirby.
      Website is in Russian Internet also: http://ploskiymir.virtualave.net
      Unfortunately, it has updating now and will open after 3-4 weeks.
      I hope to find there adherents, when it will open again.
      In Russian Internet-library are complete texts of many books also....

      Please ask me,if you have any questions.
      Forgive me for my English :)
      I hope, You understand me :)

      Bay the way, DISK-WORLD is PLOSKIY-MIR (Russian)
      ;)

      Best regards,

      Elena A.Stepanova
      Moscow, Russia
      www.alenkas.boom.ru/photo
      mailto:elena_a_s@...

      ------------------
      2) HOW I DISCOVERED TERRY PRATCHETT

      That's an interesting story, actually. I used to live in Fredericksburg,
      VA, known only for its civil war battles and millions of antique stores. A
      friend named Toby Sharpe recommended to me a book about the apocalypse,
      called Good Omens, in April of this year. I had never heard of Terry
      Pratchett, but Neil Gaiman was familiar because of his Sandman comics.

      I was going on a trip to San Fransico, California by bus and needed books to
      read. So I bought a Neil Gaiman book called Stardust which my older brother
      Eric told me had been a comic also. When I got to San Francisco, I stayed
      at a youth hostel called the Green Tortoise (aptly named). I stayed in a
      room with a bloke from Manchester who was touring the world and spending a
      week in San Francisco. We got to talking about our travels (this was my
      second trip to SF in less than a month by bus), shared a bottle of
      Jagermeister, and swapped stories about books and movies. I told him about
      Good Omens and that I bought another Gaiman book. He looked at me and asked
      if I had ever heard of Terry Pratchett. Only through Good Omens, I said.
      Then he went on to describe the premise behind the Discworld novels and
      characters, that if I was interested in satirical fantasy to go with this
      prominent British author. It was a great night, looking down on the streets
      of San Francisco, bustling with activity.

      So I bought The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic the next day. And
      I've been reading and buying every Discworld book since. It was prophetic
      to be in The Green Tortoise hostel and have Terry Pratchett recommended.
      Plus, San Francisco and its crowded streets seem eerily reminiscent of
      Ankh-Morpork now. The Discworld books are incredibly written. Pratchett's
      gift for language is very convincing. The plethora of characters and their
      detailed developments give each book its own life. It's hard to get certain
      Discworld books in Texas, like Reaper Man, Wyrd Sisters, Eric, and Guards!
      Guards! for instance. But now I'm a devoted fan and will try until I have
      read all of them. I'm almost there. I don't think that I could name a
      favorite but Small Gods and The Fifth Elephant are right up there.

      -- Josh Turnquist, Austin, TX

      -----------------------------
      HOW I DISCOVERED TERRY PRATCHETT

      I am a witch.

      Well, at least I think I am. I was one of those neo-pagan “merry meet and
      merry part” sort of women who buy New Age-y books on wicca and make herbal
      teas and have a calendar of moon phases and call their cats “familiars.” I
      have always thought it would be neat to have some sort of influence on the
      forces that be, and I’ve bought occult jewelry to help with that. But like
      Granny Weatherwax, I don’t particularly like other neo-pagans or witches, and
      I’d gotten fed up with how many of them made up histories, bloodlines and
      “rules” for witching.

      And then in an ad for a sci-fi/fantasy bookclub I saw the cover of Wyrd
      Sisters. “Huh,” I thought, “a fantasy novel about witches… and for once,
      it looks humorous.” I snagged it, and was thrilled to read about witches who
      weren’t necessarily nice or at-one-with-the-universe, and who had their own
      problems dealing with the world and each other. They didn’t just make me
      laugh, they made sense, the way the best humor does. Before I was even
      halfway done with Wyrd Sisters, I’d gone out an purchased four more Discworld
      novels, because I knew I was on to something good- something REALLY good.

      The Discworld novels improved my view of witchcraft as practiced here. I’d
      been feeling that I should come up with a more “witchy” name along the lines
      of “Ravyn Moonbeame” or “Lyonheartte Willowwommann”, but realized that my
      own boring name was just fine. So was the kitchen knife I’d been ashamed of
      wielding as an athame, and I finally figured out I looked crappy in silver
      jewelry and other “traditional” pagan garb. As Terry writes in Carpe
      Jugulum, “Any fool could be a witch with a runic knife, but it took skill to
      be one with an apple-corer.”

      Terry teaches things in the best way possible: with humor, and with
      philosophies that seemed more like gentle reminders of the common sense we
      already possess. The more I read of Discworld, the less respect for
      authorities I have, and the more I respect my knowledge of who I am.
      Rincewind is a wizard, despite the fact that magic uses him rather than the
      other way around. Casanunda is the World’s Greatest Lover, despite being a
      dwarf. Carrot Ironfoundersson is a dwarf, despite being human. And Corporal
      Nobbs is a Guardsman, despite being… um, whatever he is.

      And thanks to this type of thinking, despite the fact that it’s silly, I am a
      witch.

      -- Michele Mantynen, USA

      ------------------------

      3) FROM THE MAILBAG:

      (MINNEAPOLIS, MN, USA)
      Dear Joe,

      You requested information on local bookstores that specialize in Fantasy
      that carry old/used copies of books in the most recent issue of WOSSNAME.

      Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA is lucky to have 2 such stores (1 of them with
      2 locations even!) that I've had quite a bit of good luck finding hard to
      find Fantasy and SF of almost any sort.

      Dreamhaven Books (2 locations)
      http://www.dreamhavenbooks.com/
      I tend to have more luck finding Pratchett at this store (especially the
      Lake St location) but both of them are quite a resource for anyone who is
      into SF&F, Comics, and some other small press markets. The new Pratchett is
      amazingly complete (Domestic and UK) and they get used and old volumes in
      fairly often (but they get bought almost as quickly).Mail order is
      available (you can get the phone# and etc from the web site).

      Uncle Hugo's
      They don't have an official website that I can remember but this link at
      CitySearch.com should give you the necessary info.
      http://twincities.citysearch.com/E/V/MINMN/0003/30/10/
      They are actually one of the oldest SF&F bookstores in the world and have a
      thoroughly astounding stock of books at all times. Generally, if you can't
      get it any where else you can either get it here or they can tell you where
      to find it. They also do Mail Order.

      I can't wait to see the list of stores you come up with in the next
      Wossname (or whenever you finish compiling...).

      BTW - I just got back from WorldCon (The World Science Fiction Convention)
      in Chicago (ChiCon) this last weekend and I'm surprised that I hadn't heard
      from you guys that Terry was going to be there. Unfortunately I didn't get
      a chance to see any of his panels but I heard they were very good as usual.
      I do believe that they are available on audio cassette for a relatively
      small amount for anyone interested. More info can probably be found
      somewhere on the Chicon website at http://www.chicon.org

      Thanks

      Nathan Stohlmann
      nstohlma@...

      -------
      (FROM NORWAY:)

      To say that my local bookstore is specializing in fantasy is rubbish, but
      they seemed to have stocks of allthe old Discworld ones last time I popped
      in. So for Norwegian readers: Melvaer, Torgalmenningen, Bergen, carries
      the English versions in their shop at the middle of the square, left hand
      side as viewed from the Blue Rock, local landmark. Norwegian titles may
      pssibly be found same, or in other shop at far end, right hand side of same
      square. Rectangle, actually. Take a look, anyway.
      Pål.
      or
      Paul Henriksen, if your alphabet is inadequately developed for the sound å.

      -----------------------------
      4) AUDITORS

      Dear Editor:

      In the novels that have featured the Auditors, whenever any of
      them showed any signs of personality they vanished, to be
      immediately replaced by another. My question is: were the
      Auditors who suffered a terminal case of Death at the end of
      Hogfather replaced by new auditors, or did the fact that they
      were alive when they died (yes, I know that sounds odd, but
      it's true) mean that they were *not* replaced?
      -- David Hopkins, Australia

      Dear David,
      Well, it's been a few months since I read Hogfather, and I'm not a home
      so I don't have my copy with me, but as I recall...

      As you so rightly pointed out, the Auditors faced certain nonexistence
      if they contracted individuality. In essence, they were a manifestation
      of the non-individual nature of the universe. Did that make sense? As I
      understood them, they were the hands of the omnipresent force in the
      universe that reduces all personality and belief down to cold, hard
      science.

      As far as my understanding goes, the reason they were made weak an able
      to be defeated in Hogfather was because they began to take the hunt for
      the Hogfather personally. They weren't immediately destroyed, because
      they still managed to avoid indivuality; but by turning their appointed
      mission into a vendetta, they gained a sufficient quotient of
      individual-like characteristics to weaken themselves and cloud their
      judgements. As a result, they found themselves trapped in the shapes
      they had made for themselves - hunting hounds. As a result, they were
      hunted down by Susan and destroyed. Were they replaced? I think almost
      surely they were; the personifications may be removed, but the force
      continues on unabated. Essentially, they did what all Auditors
      eventually do - they gained individuality, and then could no longer
      exist.

      The role of the Auditors in this book, and in Reaper Man, raises another
      interesting question for me, however. The Auditors represent the
      overwhelming urge for the universe to rationalise it's existence and put
      down indivuality amongst it's elemental forces (such as Death and the
      Hogfather, who symbolises Life). They seek to turn Death into a mere
      force, rather than the personification that he is. So why, then, do they
      appear as grey-robed figures? Surely by doing so, THEY become
      personified? I find the Auditors such an interesting concept; it is as
      if to exist on the discworld they must constantly court the powers they
      despise, namely the power of individuality. Perhaps the Discworld itself
      is unable to support the existence of forces such as Life and Death
      WITHOUT them being personified. What do the rest of you think? Am I
      making sense?

      Yours sincerely,

      Michael Jones

      --------------------------
      5) WEBMASTER ABDUCTED BY ALIENS

      Perhaps you've noticed that some of our
      websites have not been updated for a while.

      Phil Allison, our WOSSNAME Webmaster,
      has not been heard from for months and is
      assumed to have been kidnapped by Mundanians.

      If anyone would like to be Webmaster, please
      write Joe Schaumburger jschaum111@...

      --------
      6) MEMBER COUNTRIES (as of September 2000)

      ALGERIA MEXICO

      AUSTRALIA THE NETHERLANDS

      BELGIUM NEW ZEALAND

      BERMUDA NORWAY

      BULGARIA POLAND

      CANADA ROMANIA

      CHINA RUSSIA

      CZECH REPUBLIC SCOTLAND

      DENMARK SINGAPORE

      ECUADOR SOUTH AFRICA

      FINLAND SOUTH KOREA

      FRANCE SPAIN

      GERMANY SWEDEN

      ICELAND TURKEY

      IRELAND UNITED KINGDOM

      ISRAEL UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

      ITALY VENEZUELA

      7) KLATCHIAN FOREIGN LEGION RESOURCES

      Each month (well, usually), as well as WOSSNAME going out by e-mail, the
      plain text of the newsletter is embellished with fantastic graphics and put
      up on the Society Web site,

      http://welcome.to/wossname

      As well as the full text of WOSSNAME going out by e-mail, there is also sent
      out a much shorter e-mail announcing that the new version of WOSSNAME is
      available on the Web. So, if you'd prefer to receive this shorter
      notification, rather than the whole text of WOSSNAME, just let us know!

      The announcement list will also be used by other groups in the Klatchian
      Foreign Legion, such as by the Bugarup University Students' Guild for
      announcing BUNS (see above), so you may want to join that list anyway, even
      if you still want to receive the whole text of WOSSNAME by e-mail. To
      subscribe to the announcement list, just go to

      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/kfl-announce

      or send an empty e-mail to

      kfl-announce-subscribe@onelist.com

      Also on the subject of the Legion, the Klatchian Foreign Legion Webring has
      recently started. A Webring, in case you don't know, is a group of Web sites
      that share a common interest or theme, and have links to one another such
      that by following the link, you travel all the way "around the ring",
      visiting each site in turn. In the case of the Legion's Webring, the sites
      are those of groups like the North American Discworld Society, the Guild of
      Fans and Disciples and the Bugarup University Students' Guild, as well as any
      other Web site with an emphasis on regional Pratchett fandom, at anything
      from the local level up to the continental level. To visit the Webring, or
      to add your site to it, just visit

      http://travel.to/klatch

      WOSSNAME is available in all its glory on the World-Wide Web at:

      http://www.wossname.com

      with a more basic text-only version at:

      http://www.onelist.com/messages/WOSSNAME

      Copyright 2000 by North American Discworld Society