269WOSSNAME -- JANUARY 2006 -- PART 1 OF 3

    Jan 28, 2006
      JANUARY 2006 (Volume 9, Issue 1)
      Part 1 of 3 Sections
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: Anna M. Conina
      Convention News Editor: Anna M.Conina
      Creative Co-Conspirator: Valeria Lynne
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake
      Book Reviews: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Puzzle Editor: volunteer needed
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      1) RETURN OF MOIST VON LIPWIG
      2) RAIMI TACKLES THE WEE FREE MEN
      3) BBC TO AIR SMALL GODS

      ====Part 2

      4) YOUR NEW DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 3

      5) LETTERS FROM ALL OVER

      1) RETURN OF MOIST VON LIPWIG
      by Anna M. Conina

      According to an official announcement on Paul Kidby's website
      (http://www.paulkidby.com/news/index.html), the next Discworld novel
      after the release of WINTERSMITH will be MAKING MONEY, not
      UNSEEN ACADEMICALS. The new novel, which Terry has already
      begun writing, promises "the triumphant return of Moist von Lipwig."

      In an e-mail to WOSSNAME, Terry explains: "It's like this: ideas
      sort of roll around in my head like snowballs on a slope.
      MAKING MONEY and UNSEEN ACADEMICALSs were two such.
      And then MM starred to roll a bit faster, and got bigger, and everything
      I heard or read or saw seemed to be handing me plot points...so what
      the hell, it's the next one. Moist Von Lipwig stars, which means
      it will incline towards fun.

      "The confusion, if such it be, is that people insist on knowing when I
      myself don't know, so all I can do is make a guess. But MM is final.
      I'm working on it already."

      As for WINTERSMITH, Jennifer Brehl, Terry's editor at HarperCollins
      reports: "WINTERSMITH (the new Tiffany Aching novel). Ms. for that
      should be in in another week or so; won’t have page proofs for some while .
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      2) RAIMI TACKLES THE WEE FREE MEN

      Best-selling author Terry Pratchett's novel THE WEE FREE MEN
      is set to be turned into a film by Sam Raimi, after he finishes work on
      SPIDER-MAN 3 (due to begin shooting THIS MONTH for a 2007 release).

      The story is one in Pratchett's Discworld series, and follows nine year-old
      Tiffany Aching, a young girl with a talent for witchcraft, who finds
      adventure
      when the evil Queen of the Fairies kidnaps her small, sticky brother.
      She is assisted in this by the wee free men of the Clan Nac MacFeegle, a
      group of vaguely Scottish, boozy, kilt-wearing, thieving, fighting blue
      six-inch
      "pictsies".

      The novel is part of the British author's Disc World series, whose
      volumes are big sellers around the world. Project came together
      after Pettler read the book and persuaded Gerardis and Vicinanza,
      who controlled the rights for the author, to come aboard. Raimi and
      Donen sparked to their pitch.

      Pettler most recently co-penned "Tim Burton's Corpse Bride"
      and co-wrote for Sony the Robert Zemeckis-directed CGI pic
      "Monster House." She's writing "9," a CGI fantasy for Focus
      Features that Burton is producing and Shane Acker is directing,
      and is rewriting "Nick Tungsten, Nightmare Hunter" for director Doug
      Liman at Paramount and Nickelodeon. Pettler is also set to adapt
      Roald Dahl novel "The Twits" for Disney and Vanguard

      Columbia exec Sam Dickerman will supervise.

      Terry admits that "happy discussions" have been taking place. As he
      says, in his past experience, "planned movies do not happen," but he'll
      be very happy when he's proved wrong.

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      3) BBC TO AIR SMALL GODS

      BBC Radio 4 will broadcasts its adaptation of SMALL GODS
      at 23.00-23.30 on 28th February, 7th, 14th and 21st March.
      It has been dramatised by Robin Brooks, directed by Gordon House
      and produced by Claire Grove.

      -- Colin Smythe
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      -----