259WOSSNAME -- OCTOBER 2005 -- PART 1 OF 3

    Oct 31, 2005
      OCTOBER 2005 (Volume 8, Issue 10)
      Part 1 of 3 Sections
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: Anna M. Conina
      Convention News Editor: Anna M.Conina
      Creative Co-Conspirator: Valeria Lynne
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake,
      Rentawitch
      Book Reviews: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Puzzle Editor: volunteer needed
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      EDITORIAL

      1) MYSTERIOUS GALAXY SIGNING
      2) FIRST DISCWORLD BEER FESTIVAL

      ====PART 2
      3) YOUR NEW DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 3

      4) NOT YOUR DISCWORLD PUZZLE
      5) LOST PRATCHETT QUOTE RESURFACES
      6) TROLL MODELS
      7) GOING POSTAL PREMIERES IN AUSTRALIA
      8) MASKERADE IN CHELMSFORD
      9) LORDS AND LADIES IN FEBRUARY
      10) WHERE'S MY COW SECRET REVEALED

      EDITORIAL

      Hi guys,

      Another fun weekend in Florida. Collapsing with pneumonia
      on Friday, October 21st, I fell over in the street on my way
      to my doctor and was picked up and delivered to the doctor
      by a friendly truckdriver. The doctor took one look at me, and
      had me admitted to the local hospital immediately.

      So far, so good. Then, while I am recovering in the hospital,
      Hurricane Wilma hits here and by the time I am discharged
      (either I was better or the hospital was losing its electricity)
      good old Wilma trashed the area really bad. Several
      million people lost all their electricity, parts of their homes,
      and their food supply.

      Still recovering from Hurricane Katrina last month, which took
      my garden shed and one of my fences, I now faced the loss
      of my other large tree which finished off the fences on the
      other two sides, and the wind also tore off most of the
      shingles on my roof. (I'm not even mentioning the total
      destruction of my porch screens, etc.)

      Meanwhile, my son, his wife, and her sister who were
      living a few miles north of here had a total loss of power
      and had to move in with me, along with 3 cats and a
      rabbit. My two dogs were very saintly about this, but
      everyone else got very nervous at times.

      I made a stab about getting out WOSSNAME, but when
      all the associated problems started to turn up (no lights,
      refrigeration, traffic lights, access to TV, stores (including
      supermarkets), gasoline and in some places even phones
      and water, I just put everything aside and concentrated
      on surviving.

      Now, 9 days later, things are considerably better (although
      many have been told they won't get power back till Nov. 22)
      so I thought I'd make a last ditch effort to get WOSSNAME
      out.

      Please excuse any errors and/or omissions you may notice.
      It's just not our month.

      -- Joe, bedraggled but still trying

      1) MYSTERIOUS GALAXY SIGNING
      A Special Report by Anna M. Conina

      It was standing room only at Terry's September 24th pre-signing talk at
      San Diego's Mysterious Galaxy bookstore, where approximately 200 people
      turned up to test the limits of the local fire codes. Long before
      Terry's arrival, the audience snapped up the 50 available copies of
      _Where's My Cow?_, part of a very limited preliminary shipment.

      Wearing a Google T-shirt and lacking his trademark black Author Hat,
      Terry opened his talk by discussing his visit to Google's headquarters
      and the impressive employee cafeteria buffet (see
      http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/97/open_google.html); just imagine
      the havoc, he mused, if sci-fi/fantasy conventioneers were turned loose
      to graze!

      Crediting his editor, Jennifer Brehl, with responsibility for much of
      the recent success of the Discworld series in the United States, Terry
      announced that _Thud!_ had just reached #4 on the New York Times
      hardcover fiction bestseller list - the first of his books ever to
      crack the top ten. After a bit of _Thud!_ discussion, the talk quickly
      turned to two of his upcoming novels.

      _Wintersmith_ , the third in a projected four-book trilogy, will
      feature Nanny Ogg teaching the facts of life(!) to Tiffany Aching, a
      truly terrifying thought. Tiffany has heard Nanny referred to as a
      woman of easy virtue who is no better than she should be; with
      faultless logic, she initially concludes that this must mean Nanny is a
      very moral person indeed, since virtue comes easily for her, and she is
      precisely as good as she ought to be! _Unseen Academicals_, meanwhile,
      will mark a return to the lighter style of the earlier books,
      chronicling the introduction of soccer/football to the Discworld. One
      of the biggest laughs of the afternoon greeted Terry's discussion of the
      unique abilities the Librarian would bring to a team.

      The concluding question-and-answer session included a hilarious
      discussion of the historical inspiration for the cavalcade of
      cross-dressing in _Monstrous Regiment_, as well as several of the usual
      name-pronunciation inquiries - plus one *unusual* one. Our thanks go
      to the guy who asked Terry, with reference to _Where's My Cow?_, to
      demonstrate precisely what sound a hippo makes. Terry's HURRRGHHH!
      would have done Detritus proud.

      On a side note: I have now heard people ask Terry: How do you pronounce
      Angua? no less than six times. It seems like a website listing the
      fifty trickiest-to-pronounce Discworld personal and geographic names,
      featuring small .wav files for each word, would be a worthwhile project.
      Is anyone out there feeling ambitious?

      After all the audience questions, Terry had a request for us, or at
      least for any attendees who would be returning to Mysterious Galaxy for
      Neil Gaiman's subsequent signing. Be sure you all tell Neil that Terry
      says hi, he encouraged everyone, an evil gleam in his eye. He loves
      that.

      Finally, my friends at the signing were very amused when, while
      addressing the crowd, Terry introduced me as his Designated Stalker.
      Several audience members (including one WOSSNAME reader!) approached me
      afterward to chat and bask in the reflected glory of my
      celebrity-stalker-hood. I have come to accept the fact that I am never,
      ever going to live down that title.

      Methinks I will make some sort of official badge to wear at the
      Discworld Convention. : )

      2) FIRST DISCWORLD BEER FESTIVAL

      Tickets are now available for the first Discworld Beer Festival, to be held
      on the weekend of December 3rd & 4th to coincide with the Hogswatch event
      organised by Bernard Pearson, The Cunning Artificer.

      Tickets are UKP5.00 each and include entry on both days and a souvenir glass
      featuring the Festival logo. Visit http://www.BursarVixen.com to purchase the
      tickets and glasses.

      The festival will run from 11.00am to 11.00pm on Saturday and from 11.00am to
      10.30pm on Sunday and is being held in Wincanton at The Maddocks Sports
      Pavilion, Wincanton Sports Ground, Moor Lane, Wincanton, Somerset, BA9 9EJ.

      All our Discworld Beers and Ciders will be available - there are seven in
      the range. We will also feature a variety of Real Ale selected from local
      breweries and hope to launch two new Discworld beers - a Discworld Stout and
      a Discworld Porter. The beers will be available in cask and bottle
      conditioned formats.

      On the Sunday morning, Terry Pratchett will be in attendance as the
      Discworld version of football gets its first public outing where teams from
      the Ankh-Morpork & District Flatalist Society take on the Ankh-Morpork &
      Wincanton Cabbage Growers Association.

      The game is freestyle football; the rules (such as they are) are created by
      Fantailer and there are no edged weapons allowed. If you are going to be
      there and want to play, let us know! Discworld football kit or costume is to
      be worn.

      The Beer Festival is organised in association with the Heart of Wessex CAMRA
      branch and we thank them for their help in organising the local beers.

      More Information coming to http://www.BursarVixen.com shortly, and be sure
      to visit http://www.cunningartificer.co.uk for accommodation details and
      information about other activities in the town. You can also call
      0709 226 4571 for further information on the Beer Festival itself.

      -- Paul Kruzycki
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo