248WOSSNAME -- AUGUST 2005 -- PART 1 OF 4

    Sep 1, 2005
      AUGUST 2005 (Volume 8, Issue 8)
      Part 1 of 4 Sections
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: Anna M. Conina
      Convention News Editor: Anna M.Conina
      Creative Co-Conspirator: Valeria Lynne
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake
      Book Reviews: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Puzzle Editor: volunteer needed
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      1) THUD -- FIRST REVIEW
      2) "GOING POSTAL" NOMINATED FOR
      QUILLS AWARD
      3) AFPA MEET TO AVOID SEA OF GEEKERY
      4) FREE T-SHIRT DRAW FOR
      AUSTRALIAN DW CONVENTION

      ====Part 2
      5) FINAL REVISED U.S. PRATCHETT SIGNING SKED
      6) MORE ON CLARECRAFT CLOSING
      7) ANNIE'S QUIZ
      8) BATTLE THAT NEVER WAS

      ====Part 3
      9) DARWIN REVISITED
      10) MONSTROUS REGIMENT
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      LETTERS FROM ALL OVER
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      11) MORE ROWLING HOWLS
      12) DUKE OF SOMEWHERE
      13) DID YOU SAY HNIFLNIFLWHIFLBAFLSNIFLTAFL?

      ====Part 4
      14) YOUR NEW DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE
      15) YOUR DISCWORLD PUZZLE

      1) THUD -- FIRST REVIEW
      by Drusilla D'Afanguin

      THUD! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

      First off, let me just say in short that, for me, reading THUD! was
      rather like watching all three of the Lord of the Rings films in one
      go, and yes, I absolutely adore the Lord of the Rings films. THUD! is
      a big book, a *huge* book. It's as big as a very big thing. It's
      sweeping and it's dramatic and it's full of Disc-spanning
      implications, and it manages to be all these things against the
      background of a Worlde Gone Madde without even having to rely on the
      presence of 1,000 elephants. It has rocketed to the unrateable top
      five or so of my favourite-ever Discworld novels, and hello, that
      puts it in some stiff company. So with no further ado...

      SOME THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THUD!

      * It contains politics. A lot of politics. Some very surprising
      politics. Not all of the politics is conducted by politicians.

      * It contains sociology, racism, mad mullahs and a six-foot-tall
      pole dancer.

      * It's rocks. That is not a typo. "It rocks!" has already been
      established.

      * It includes "Where's My Cow?" in its entirety. And this turns out
      to be a very important book within a book.

      * It reveals secrets about the true metaphysical Vimesness of Vimes,
      about what she-werewolves do at That Time of the Month, about why
      Ankh-Morpork has such a large dwarf population...and why Sto Plains
      cabbage farmers have no love for wizards.

      Pterry has come a very long way indeed from the satirical fantasy-
      world he first created in The Colour of Magic, but we already knew
      that. Over the course of the second half - so far - of the Discworld
      series, he's tickled various DW societies, starting of course with
      the all-influential Big Wahoonie itself, through centuries of
      analogous Roundworld social history in the space of less than three
      Disc decades (this we now know, based on events in Night Watch). What
      was once a purely mediaeval, technology-poor society has now seen and
      embraced the coming of newspapers, a modern-ish Post Office,
      iconography, public medicine, the Dis-Organiser, futures trading,
      contraceptives, and the biggest change-facilitator of all: the
      Clacks. A-M denizens, sorry, residents no longer view novelty and
      change as enemies...and therein lies the rub in THUD! In The Fifth
      Elephant, we met the deep-down dwarfs with their distrust of all
      change and all non-dwarfish influences; in THUD!, we see dwarf
      factionalism coming at last to a head, and doing so in Vimes' and
      Vetinari's city - and everyone knows all too well, any happening that
      disturbs the robust but finely-balanced disharmony of *their* town is
      not a happy happening.

      Events open as the yearly observance of Koom Valley Day nears.
      There's a new kid - or at least a person of diminutive stature - in
      town; he's come with a Message, and it's the sort of Message that is
      splitting the Ankh-Morpork dwarf community into divisions as deep as
      a subterranean seam of gold, gold, gold. Meanwhile, the troll
      community is also undergoing some shall we say growing pains (hmm, if
      carbon-based life forms evolve, do silicaceous ones erode? - remember
      that trolls do see time as going backwards...), and dwarf-troll
      social relations, never very social in the best of times, are
      deteriorating fast. Vimes also has to cope with being forced to take
      on a new recruit in the Watch, the sort of recruit that gives him
      sleepless, um, even more sleepless nights. But his true worst
      nightmare these days is worse yet - the fear that he might not get
      home by six o'clock *every night*...

      I see THUD! as the book in which Ankh-Morpork moves all the way into
      the Roundworld "Enlightenment" period and into the beginnings of a
      true Industrial Age. Pterry has decided to introduce certain
      potentially world-shattering instruments of change (sorry, can't give
      *too* much away here!) with implications that go beyond Discworld
      itself, and I can see how A-M society, and by inference the societies
      of other nations on the Disc, may change dramatically in future
      books in the series. Some who read THUD! might even question whether
      he's gone too far into the realm of science fiction, but I think it's
      a wonderful thing.

      Another high point of the book for me is the way we see Vimes
      developing into a true superhero - flawed, idiosyncratic, but in his
      own way a far greater champion and role model even than Carrot - and
      how he learns to reconcile marriage and fatherhood and, well,
      politics with police work and protecting his beloved city. More than
      ever, Vimes is becoming a "man of the polis".

      In my never-humble opinion, THUD! is not only one of the very best of
      the Discworld novels, but also one of the most socially relevant, and
      deepest. And that's not a pune. Well, all right, it's a pune, but
      it's also not a...aah, just read it! Or else Mr Shine will give you a
      good talking-to.

      2) "GOING POSTAL" NOMINATED FOR QUILLS AWARD

      by Anna M. Conina

      GOING POSTAL has been nominated for the prestigious
      "Quills Award" in the sf/fantasy/horror category (one of
      just five nominees). Here's a link to the Quills Award web site:
      http://www.quillsliteracy.org/quillawards.html

      As you can see, the vote is popular. Readers can vote online
      (at the Quills site) or at any Borders stores. Votes must
      be cast between August 15 and September 15.

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      3) AFPA MEET TO AVOID SEA OF GEEKERY

      Tony Evershed reports from London:

      Following the (admittedly rather qualified, given the flooding and food
      trouble) success at the Green Man last year, I think it's time to launch
      another London-based September Meet. Given the qualification above, I've
      had a look around for venues that might just be meet-friendly and I came
      up with...

      Where:
      The Lamb, in Holborn - they're StreetMapped at http://tinyurl.com/8gnb8
      and are at the address:
      94 Lamb's Conduit Street
      London
      WC1N 3LZ

      They're a Young's pub, so there are at least some ales on. I omitted to
      check for ciders and other drinkables, but I am told that they should at
      least be able to cope with more than one or two people who want to order
      dinners.

      When:
      Saturday 17th September 2005, from 18:00-ish until kicking out time or
      people need to get trains and suchlike.

      Why:
      Just because. Last year's worked nicely enough despite everything, and as
      some guy in a hat said "anything done once is a tradition..." :-)

      Who:
      Anyone, so if you have friends who might be interested do convince them
      to come along - as with last year I'll try to drag people from Exeter, so
      one hopes the sea of geekery won't be too deep...

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      4) FREE T-SHIRT DRAW FOR AUSTRALIAN DW CONVENTION

      Pat Allan reports on The Australian Discworld Convention,
      being held in Melbourne in 2007:

      Anyone who signs up for a membership by the end of September goes
      into the draw for the very first print of a wonderful Discworld- inspired
      painting by local artist Sarah Kinder, along with a t-shirt.

      The t-shirts can also be purchased from both BursarVixen Enterprises
      (http://www.bursarvixen.com) and the convention website (http://
      www.ausdwcon.org). Visit the site for updates and more information on
      the competition.
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo