1October/November 1999 WOSSNAME Part I

  • acm@xxxx.xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Nov 29, 1999

      Newsletter of the North American Discworld Society

      October/November 1999 (Volume 2 Issue 7 1/2)

      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the North American
      Discworld Society and of the Klatchian Foreign Legion. Are you a
      member? Yes, if you sent in your e-mail address. Are there any
      dues? No. Dues are only required if you want to join the Guild of
      and Disciples and receive the discounts available through bulk
      purchases.

      1) Editorial

      News:

      2) North American Discworld Society Reaches One Thousand Members!
      3) The Latest from Colin P. Smythe
      4) News from Clarecraft
      5) Recent Releases in the UK
      6) North American Discworld Society T-Shirts Now on Sale!
      7) Bugarup University Newsletter for Students
      8) News from Spain
      9) WYRD SISTERS on DVD

      Features:

      10) Review of THE FIFTH ELEPHANT, by Francis Richardson
      11) How to Start a Terry Pratchett Fan Club, by Becky Swaney
      12) Discworld Mottos

      Departments:

      13) Joke of the Month
      14) [Letters] Watch Badges
      15) [Letters] Where Are You All?
      16) Meetings Calendar

      Business:

      17) Mailing List Information
      18) Klatchian Foreign Legion Resources
      19) Messages from the Editors

      Editor in Chief: Andrew C. Millard
      Staff Writers: Andy Stout, Becky Swaney
      Contributor: Joe Schaumburger

      Copyright 1999 by North American Discworld Society

      1) EDITORIAL

      Yes, this issue of WOSSNAME has an editorial. This doesn't happen
      very often --- so you can breathe a sigh of relief --- but in the
      case of this issue, some explanation is required. Some of you may
      have noticed that there was no WOSSNAME last month, and some of you,
      reading this, will have noticed that this particular issue has a
      rather strange number. So, let me explain...

      October was a rather busy month, and September was too, which didn't
      help. I seemed to have been travelling for half of those two months,
      and while that did allow me to stock up on lots of nice things that
      you'll be seeing as competition prizes over the next few months, it
      meant that I spent the rest of those two months catching up with what
      I'd missed when I was away, and then catching up with what I'd missed
      when I was catching up, and so forth. I'm not going away anywhere
      again until February, though, for which my cats and I are very
      grateful. At the same time, Florida was receiving its usual pounding
      from the elements, meaning that Joe was alternately hiding in the
      cellar and picking up dead trees, and the new school year had just
      started, so our brave band of staff writers became rather busy, since
      they're not just volunteers but are students as well. So, all in
      all, things at the virtual WOSSNAME office ground to a halt, and as a
      result there was no October issue.

      Pratchett fandom kept going, though, with increasingly positive signs
      that the United States is catching up with the rest of the world in
      appreciating Terry's work. (Canada is already there, of course, but
      the place is, after all, populated by Canadians, "Canadian" being a
      native word that means "nicely sensible" or maybe "sensibly nice".)
      So, since the last issue, the North American Discworld Society has
      passed a thousand members and orders are flooding in for our T-
      shirts. THE FIFTH ELEPHANT is now on the shelves of bookshops in all
      civilised (i.e. non-US) countries, and with the simultaneous release
      of NANNY OGG'S COOKBOOK, we can finally find out what CMOT Dibbler
      puts in his sausages. (Or what he'd like us to think he puts in
      them, anyway.) The WYRD SISTERS animation, recently released in the
      US on video, is coming out on DVD, and we're being given a chance to
      suggest what sort of extra features could be put on it along with the
      animation itself. All this (and more, naturally) is discussed in
      this issue.

      So, welcome to issue seven-and-a-half of volume two of WOSSNAME.
      Hopefully this is just a one-off glitch, but everyone needs a break
      from time to time, and it did give us an excuse to avoid having an
      issue eig... er... two cubed. The December issue should go out as
      normal next month, some time around Hogswatch if you're all good
      little boys and girls and creatures, and it most definitely won't be
      the last issue of the century or the millennium, since neither of
      them start until 2001, so there.

      ANDREW "It's really the year 5760 anyway." MILLARD (California)

      2) NORTH AMERICAN DISCWORLD SOCIETY REACHES ONE THOUSAND MEMBERS!

      In this year (or so) of Y6B and Y2K, the Society has also reached a
      new mile-stone, with a thousand members now on the roster and reading
      WOSSNAME! Our ranks within North America are continuing to swell, of
      course, but Pratchett fans from elsewhere in the world are joining
      too, from all the continents and from a large number of different
      countries. We recently had, for instance, our first member from Niue
      Island, Carl Hoog, join us. Carl writes:

      "Niue is a beautiful South Seas island renowned for its friendly
      people, its wonderful climate, unique reef pools, caves, diving and
      fishing.
      "Commonly known as the 'Rock of Polynesia', Niue is located
      2,400 km north-east of New Zealand in a triangle between Tonga, Samoa
      and the Cook Islands. It's about 120 km east of the International
      Dateline... the place to bid farewell to the old year. We're unique.
      The island itself is 260 square kilometers and is one of the largest
      raised coral atolls in the world.
      "The population is around 1,750, making it the smallest self-
      governing state in the world. The government is democratically
      elected. Being New Zealand citizens, the people have strong ties
      with that country."

      Welcome, Carl and all our new members!

      3) THE LATEST FROM COLIN P. SMYTHE

      This information has just been received from Transworld/Corgi, and I
      thought it would be of interest.

      During the four years' existence of BookTrack's weekly bestselling
      chart, over sixty titles have been constantly in the top five
      thousand best-selling titles, and the author with the most titles in
      this listing is Terry Pratchett, with twelve, namely:

      THE COLOUR OF MAGIC
      GUARDS! GUARDS!
      PYRAMIDS
      SOUL MUSIC
      THE LIGHT FANTASTIC
      REAPER MAN
      INTERESTING TIMES
      SOURCERY
      MEN AT ARMS
      EQUAL RITES
      MORT
      WYRD SISTERS

      [Congratulations, Terry, from all of us at WOSSNAME, for this
      achievement! Hopefully this'll make Harper Prism get out the back-
      list even more quickly!]

      Terry's interview on Amazon.co.uk for THE FIFTH ELEPHANT mentioned
      THE LAST HERO, and as I have been asked for some further information
      about it, at least some of the following may be new to you.

      THE LAST HERO will be a large format hardcover book, published by
      Gollancz, rather like DINOTOPIA in that Paul Kidby will be painting
      something like seventy full colour pictures to face Terry's text on
      every double page spread. It will sell at about UKP20. Delivery is
      scheduled for the end of March 2001, for intended publication in the
      autumn of that year.

      Terry has written the following about it:

      "This was conceived as an illustrated story, so I've made sure
      there's lots to illustrate --- including the entire voyage of the
      DW's first successful orbital vehicle, and an ascent of Cori Celesti.
      Paul has already designed the mission patch for the spaceflight...
      "Carrot, Leonard of Quirm and Rincewind all have starring roles,
      as does Cohen the Barbarian and his Horde. And one or two new
      characters, too. I'm not going to give away the plot!
      "Currently there's a 35,000 word working draft, which will get
      tinkered with over the next year as Paul's illustrations are
      finished."

      Not sure whether I've mentioned that Graham Higgins is hard at work
      on GUARDS! GUARDS! THE BIG COMIC, which it is hoped will be published
      this time next year. He's been working with Stephen Briggs on the
      text, which has been based of Stephen's playtext.

      THE TRUTH, the next novel, will I think be finished in late December.
      I gather that its publication date has been pencilled in for
      November 2000.

      COLIN P. SMYTHE (England)

      You can read the Amazon.co.uk interview at

      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/subst/categories/
      science-fiction/nov-1999-terry-pratchett-interview

      We looked for a shorter address, but couldn't find one, so you'll
      need to copy and paste both lines here into your browser in order to
      go to the right page.

      4) NEWS FROM CLARECRAFT

      Yep, the Discworld Collectors' Guild site has just been updated and
      features a new article about The Luggage, a sneak preview of the new
      piece (Death and the Swan), a look at the latest bookend, a new free
      competition and those all important missing dates from Terry's
      signing tour. Please check it all out at:

      http://www.clarecraft.com

      You'll also find a few new pewter miniatures online... We kind of,
      err, forgot to tell anyone about them before!!

      My friends involved with the 2000 Convention need something to keep
      them out of mischief over the next few months... How about giving
      them another completed membership form to process? Next year's
      convention promises to be great fun, so please take a look at the
      following URL and give it some serious thought:

      http://www.demon.lspace.org/fandom/cons/dwcon2k/index.html

      Having now installed the facility for all of our visitors to send
      free e-cards, we are working on some more interesting site additions
      for the coming months... Let us know if you'd like to see something
      specific.

      Those involved with THE DISCWORLD STREET CRYER have been busy
      preparing bits and pieces in time for the first issue, which is due
      out soon... honest! If you haven't signed up for it yet, then please
      do so on our site. You don't get much for free these days :-)

      Oh, and as Hogswatch approaches, remember those poor, unfortunate
      souls who have yet to discover Terry Pratchett. You may find
      something for them at:

      http://www.thecollectorsguild.com

      All the best,

      ELTON MURPHY (England)

      5) RECENT RELEASES IN THE UK

      As you know, one of the services that the North American Discworld
      Society provides to members of the Guild of Fans and Disciples on
      this continent is that of pooling our purchases from the United
      Kingdom in order to pay reasonable shipping and currency conversion
      costs. Here's the latest information, fresh from the Guild, about
      new releases that you may be interested in ordering. To place orders
      or for further information, please contact Joe Schaumburger at

      jschaum111@...

      and let him know what you want.

      title cost

      THE FIFTH ELEPHANT (hardback) USD 30.00

      NANNY OGG'S COOKBOOK USD 25.00

      CARPE JUGULUM (paperback) USD 18.00

      We are currently also looking into the pricing of the new mugs being
      produced by The Blue Cat Pottery, which feature Josh Kirby's artwork
      for WITCHES ABROAD, GUARDS! GUARDS! and REAPER MAN.

      6) NORTH AMERICAN DISCWORLD SOCIETY T-SHIRTS NOW ON SALE!

      Orders are now being taken for North American Discworld Society T-
      shirts, which feature the brilliant artwork of Rhett Ransom Pennell.
      If you previously expressed an interest in buying the T-shirts, you
      should have received an e-mail about it by now, otherwise why not go

      http://discworld.imaginary.com/discworldsociety/t-shirts.html

      and check them out? Orders are already coming in, and we hope to
      have the first batch of T-shirts out by Hogswatch! (We also have
      some other exciting designs in the works, including a special one for
      our Ecksian friends!)

      7) BUGARUP UNIVERSITY NEWSLETTER FOR STUDENTS

      Ho there, all members of the KFL!

      This is the Dean of Bugarup University down here in XXXX just
      advising you that the November edition of BUNS (Bugarup University
      Newsletter for Students) is now available on-line at

      http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/4108/index.html

      Just follow the link to the BUNS.

      NATHAN CLISSOLD (Australia)

      8) NEWS FROM SPAIN

      Manuel Viciano Delibano reports that the Spanish-language section of
      the Klatchian Foreign Legion is going strong, with most of the new
      members from Spain but some from South America as well. He's setting
      up a club structure at eGroups, with the eventual goal of running a
      newsletter. For more information, you can contact Manu at

      mavide@...

      or visit La Concha de Gran A'Tuin at

      http://mural.uv.es/mavide/disco.htm

      9) WYRD SISTERS ON DVD

      Exciting news! Acorn Media, who brought out the WYRD SISTERS
      animation in the United States are currently gearing up to bring it
      out on DVD as well. As is commonly the case with DVD recordings,
      they're planning to include extra feature items on Terry, on the book
      and on Discworld in general, and they want to know what extras the
      readers of WOSSNAME would like to see! Some current possibilities
      are interviews with Terry, story boards from the animations and
      biographies of the characters. So, what would you like to see? Just
      write to us at WOSSNAME-owner@onelist.com and let us know!

      10) REVIEW OF THE FIFTH ELEPHANT

      I am by way of being a Pratchett fanatic: I read and re-read all of
      his books (even DARK SIDE OF THE SUN); I regularly hold Discworld
      parties; I pore over maps and occasionally chat with the man via e-
      mail. So saying, after CARPE JUGULUM I was becoming a little worried
      for the future of the Discworld. Then THE FIFTH ELEPHANT came
      thundering into view. Sir Samuel Vimes is back, and so is the
      Patrician. He sends Vimes on a sensitive diplomatic mission to
      Uberwald, during which Sir Samuel and Lady Sybil are confronted by
      werewolves, vampires, dwarves and assassins and as usual there is as
      much to laugh at between the lines as there is on them. This is
      Pratchett at his absolute best.

      FRANCIS RICHARDSON (Australia)