159WOSSNAME -- OCTOBER 2003 - PART 1 OF 3

    Oct 29, 2003
      Newsletter of the Foreign Legion
      October 2003 (Volume 6, Issue 10)
      your name, country and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Lady Aranluc
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      Limericks Mistress: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Haiku Handmaiden: Kate Oneamus
      Convention News Editor: Susan Fox-Davis
      Webmaster: Paul Wilkins, disk@...
      Copyright by Klatchian Foreign Legion

      1) TERRY IS SICK
      2) NEW FOREIGN REPRINTS
      3) A FORESHADOWING
      4) BIRTHMEET REPORT

      ====Part 2

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      LETTERS FROM OUR READERS
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      5) ASSORTED COMMENTS ABOUT
          MONSTROUS REGIMENT
      6) SOUL MUSIC AND 12 STRING GUITARS
      7) ANSWER DOESN'T DO IT FOR ME
      8) CASTING THE DISCWORLD

      ====Part 3

      10) THEATER NOTES
      11) THIS MONTH'S PUZZLE: JINGO
      12) ERRORS IN LAST MONTH'S PUZZLE
      13) NOT YOUR LONG-AWAITED DISC HOROSCOPE

      1) TERRY IS SICK

      As many fans will have discovered, Terry has had to cancel
      the signings scheduled for this week as a result of a bug he
      picked up in the US on his signing tour there.  Colin Smythe,
      his agent, has had a number of concerned emails from
      anxious people, and asked Terry for something we could
      send out for those fans who had not seen the news.
      Terry wrote:

      "Insofar as there is any 'formal' story it's:

      I arrived back from the US last week with a sore throat, probably picked
      up on the flight between Austin and New York;

      It blossomed to flu-like proportions by Friday, so I got equipped with
      prescription painkillers (which did no good at all) and antibiotics.

      I managed the Basingstoke signing but fell into bed when I got home, and
      was so bad on Sunday that we agreed to write Monday off and start
      touring on Wednesday (Tuesday was off anyway because of Lyn's birthday).
      By Tuesday things were worse, and while I'm pretty game the thought of the
      flight to Edinburgh was just too daunting.  At this point, we agreed to
      cancel the tour for the rest of the week, because it'd be fairer on the
      shops and people to say so right then rather that drag things out.

      And that's it, really.  Mostly the problem was the throat, which was so
      bad that until Wednesday I wasn't really sleeping at night at all.  I
      can't really remember much about Monday and Tuesday at all, although I
      must have had bouts of coherence, usually at 4.30am.  Today, Friday, I
      slept until almost twelve, which was probably the system catching up.

      That's it, really.  No one takes the decision that that lightly.  I've
      done about sixty tours now without hitting a problem like this, at least
      to the extent of canceling anything, but any tour -- especially a big
      one, with changing time zones and sudden changes of temperatures,
      erratic sleeping, irregular meals, shops full of people and a regular
      exposure to the cocktail of germs in the aircraft -- is prone to
      something like this.

      -- Terry Pratchett
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      2) NEW FOREIGN REPRINTS

      Colin Smythe, Terry's agent, reports:

      The Russian publishers Eksmo have acquired a licence
      for JINGO, and licences for  a number of double volumes -
      THE COLOUR OF MAGIC with THE LIGHT FANTASTIC,
      GUARDS! GUARDS! with MEN AT ARMS, and WITCHES
      ABROAD and LORDS AND LADIES. I believe that PYRAMIDS
      with SMALL GODS and MORT with REAPER MAN have
      already appeared, though I haven't yet seen these.

      F.A.Thorpe have just published a large print edition of
      THE TRUTH under their Charnwood imprint - ISBN 0-7089-4963-0

      Tiden Norsk are acquiring Norwegian rights in WITCHES
      ABROAD and SMALL GODS.

      The Polish published Proszynski are going to issue
      SOURCERY and WYRD SISTERS in hardcover format.
      Hitherto the books have only been available in paperback.

      I've just been sent copies of the French (L'Atalante),
      Polish (Proszynski), Czech (Talpress) and Bulgarian
      (Vuzev) editions of THE LAST HERO, so they should
      be available in the relevant countries soon.

      -- Colin Smythe
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      3) A FORESHADOWING

      From page 174 of the Gollancz edition of JINGO:

      "The monstrous regiment of watchmen had lined up on the
      deck."

      4) BIRTHMEET REPORT

      When: 19th October 2003
      Where: Shark Fin Inn, Chinatown, Melbourne, XXXX and various
          other parts!
      Who: Lora, B, Bek, Matt, Paul aka Libwolf, SteVen, and Your
          Humble Narrator; later, Hania Ogg and Big Mad Adrian

      Since several birthdays -- mine, Matt's and Lora's - fall
      within a four-week period more or less, we decided to have a
      repeat of last year's BirthdayMeet at the same venue. The
      participation of Lora and B was nothing short of amazing
      since Lora has rarely been known to eat anything except KFC!
      We all agreed to meet for a 1330 Yum Cha sitting. Well,
      actually, Bek, who knows SteVen well, told some of us that it was 1300
      on the grounds that SteVen might actually be on
      time for a change, with the result that I *did* arrive "on
      time" and had a long lonely wait. Ah well.

      We were led in and seated around a large round table that
      featured an almost-as-large revolving tray. For the non-
      Fourecksians among you, Yum Cha is what is known as Dim
      Sum in more civilised places, and consists of a number
      of functionaries wheeling around carts (or carrying trays)
      of varied Auriental "small foods" - steamed, baked or fried
      dumplings, stir-fried tentacles, deep-fried tentacles, spiced
      tentacles in sauce (oh, all right, *some* of us do like
      tentacles**), sticky rice, chicken feet in sauce (yes, this
      is a real Auriental dish and not one of those sheep's-eyes
      things foisted on non-Aurientals as a joke), stewed bean curd,
      assorted questionable parts of dead animals cleverly disguised
      in exotic sauces, even vegetables...in other words, a vast
      array of tempting choices. But after I mentioned that the serving
      arrangement and the rotating of the tray around the
      table reminded me of the scene between Lord Hong and the vizier
      in Interesting Times, certain members of the party seemed
      suddenly reluctant to try anything, though the politeness of
      their refusals would credit any top-ranking Agatean courtier...
      We tried to convince Lora that the fried tentacles were just
      like any other KFC, even though in this case it meant Kowloon
      Fried Tentacles, but she resisted everything except the mini
      chicken pies on the grounds that at least those tasted like chicken.

      After lunch came the exchanging of birthday gifts, and Lora
      showed off her new kinky leather clothing - really. Some people
      might call it a motorcycle jacket, but we know better,
      since there was a whip handle sticking out of one pocket!
      Lora is leaving BU to travel around Fourecks in her gap year,

      and we all wish her the very best; life won't be the same at
      Bugarup without her. For a start, it will be a lot less
      violent...

      Soon it was time for Lora and B to leave, as B was attempting
      to smuggle Lora into an over-18s film. The rest of us went
      on our traditional round of wandering through assorted audiovisual
      shops and comic/sf/fantasy emporia. It saddens me
      to report that, among the statuettes of orcs and superheroes
      and KISS members and Osbournes, there are no Clarecraft or
      Clarecraft-type Discworld figures. I think it's a terrible
      oversight. Of course, it's an excellent oversight in my case
      since I have hedgehog-all money these days.

      Hania Ogg was unable to attend this year -- aww, we were all looking
      forward to a reprise of last year's tea-leaf readings
      -- so SteVen and I went to the Oggery and were treated to pancake
      readings instead. And there were...things involving
      chocolate, but I won't describe them on a family list :-)

      Last of all, we went to Big Mad Adrian's to hassle him yet
      again about producing a play of The Truth. But as BMA was
      not precisely sober, we played with Ralph the Fat Spaniel
      instead.

      Altogether a fun day, though Lora really should have tried
      the tentacles.

      -- Drusilla D'Afanguin

      ** tentacles, of course, are sacred to Elder Gods, aren't
      they Unca Joe...

      Unca Joe: What!  You eat fried tentacles?  Expect a visit
      shortly from EGADS (Elder Gods Anti Defamation Society).
      They'll show YOU who's king of the forest.  (Smiles secretly
      and slithers back off the dock.)

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo