MAME cabinets

  • Jeff Kyle
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2005
      If anyone's curious, I've got a gallery going on my web site with my
      progress building a pair of MAME cabinets. There are also some pics of
      my Baby Pac-Man game, alive again after probably at least a decade of sleep.

      http://www.groucho.org/gallery/mame

      I was originally planning on holding out and buying a cabinet with a 25"
      monitor that maybe needed a cap kit, but I ended up picking up a Super
      Cobra (converted to Mr Do) and what was probably Jungle King/Jungle Hunt
      (converted to a trivia game) for free, both in pretty good condition. I
      picked up a pair of new 19" monitors and have one mounted. I got it
      powered up and connected to a PC over the weekend, but the picture was
      lacking red and fairly dim - hopefully it was due to my quick-hack
      temporary video connection, and I'm guessing that I'll need a video amp
      to get full brightness on it. At this point, I'm figuring that I'll
      order a pair of video amps from Ultimarc, along with an ArcadeVGA card.
      (The Stern cabinet, with its vertical monitor, should be OK with a
      regular video card as it will only ever run MAME, but the horizontal
      monitor will be used for other emulators as well, so it needs to be able
      to work in other programs, hence the ArcadeVGA card.)

      The Stern cabinet came with the tube of a 19" monitor, with slight Mr Do
      burn-in. No circuitry. I'm guessing that it's worthless, does anyone
      have any tricks on properly disposing of such a thing? Or if anyone
      wants it, you're welcome to it - I'm located in West Henrietta.

      I'd be interested in hearing about what any of the other members have
      done for MAME cabinets.
    • Bruce
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2005
        Pictures look good on the machines.
        It takes alot to keep a Baby pac man running.I hate videot boards.
        The cabinets look good. Keep the sides the way they are.They will look
        origiaal. Plus if you get a good mame program they can start up with
        the original game when they power up.Make it look original.I run the
        arcade/os.I don't get every game but I like the playability.And it
        hasn't crapped out on me yet(crossing fingers).I put my monitors the
        dead ones right out in the garbage on the appliance days and they take
        it no questions asked.Maybe keep the frame mounts you never know when
        you might need them.
        If ya need help yell out. Steve in Rochester is a mame guy also.I can
        give you his email if you want more help.
        Bruce

        --- In WNYPinball@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Kyle <jkyle1@r...> wrote:
        > If anyone's curious, I've got a gallery going on my web site with my
        > progress building a pair of MAME cabinets. There are also some pics of
        > my Baby Pac-Man game, alive again after probably at least a decade
        of sleep.

        > http://www.groucho.org/gallery/mame
        >
        > I was originally planning on holding out and buying a cabinet with a
        25"
        > monitor that maybe needed a cap kit, but I ended up picking up a Super
        > Cobra (converted to Mr Do) and what was probably Jungle King/Jungle
        Hunt
        > (converted to a trivia game) for free, both in pretty good condition. I
        > picked up a pair of new 19" monitors and have one mounted. I got it
        > powered up and connected to a PC over the weekend, but the picture was
        > lacking red and fairly dim - hopefully it was due to my quick-hack
        > temporary video connection, and I'm guessing that I'll need a video amp
        > to get full brightness on it. At this point, I'm figuring that I'll
        > order a pair of video amps from Ultimarc, along with an ArcadeVGA card.
        > (The Stern cabinet, with its vertical monitor, should be OK with a
        > regular video card as it will only ever run MAME, but the horizontal
        > monitor will be used for other emulators as well, so it needs to be
        able
        > to work in other programs, hence the ArcadeVGA card.)
        >
        > The Stern cabinet came with the tube of a 19" monitor, with slight
        Mr Do
        > burn-in. No circuitry. I'm guessing that it's worthless, does anyone
        > have any tricks on properly disposing of such a thing? Or if anyone
        > wants it, you're welcome to it - I'm located in West Henrietta.
        >
        > I'd be interested in hearing about what any of the other members have
        > done for MAME cabinets.
      • Jeff Kyle
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2005
          Bruce wrote:
          > Pictures look good on the machines.
          > It takes alot to keep a Baby pac man running.I hate videot boards.

          Yeah, the guy at Superior said that the game nearly killed him, trying
          to track down the communication problems between the pinball and the
          video parts. I'm really glad it's fixed though - the more I play the
          game, the more I like it. I think it's one you have to play for a while
          to appreciate, look at the video or the pinball separately and they're
          not very good, but they do actually work together well.

          > The cabinets look good. Keep the sides the way they are.They will look
          > origiaal. Plus if you get a good mame program they can start up with
          > the original game when they power up.Make it look original.I run the
          > arcade/os.I don't get every game but I like the playability.And it
          > hasn't crapped out on me yet(crossing fingers).I put my monitors the
          > dead ones right out in the garbage on the appliance days and they take
          > it no questions asked.Maybe keep the frame mounts you never know when
          > you might need them.

          I'm figuring on ArcadeOS for the vertical monitor (DOS sound shouldn't
          be a problem, nor should networking - I keep my full MAME collection on
          one system and map drives to it from the other systems), my only
          potential concern is that all the connections will be USB, but the BIOS
          should make that work OK. I'm also going to have to find out if the
          current machine I have in mind has enough guts to run even the shooters
          from 2000/2001 at full speed.

          The horizontal system will probably run XP and MAMEWah, with lots of
          other emulators besides MAME. I grew up with the Atari 8bit computers so
          it'll be fun to play those games on an arcade monitor with real
          joysticks, even better than on the real system on a TV.
        • cire sleinad
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2005
            Glad to see the cabinets are gonna get used, I know that I had them sitting
            around doing nothing for at least a year. I really hate to have to break
            them down. Make sure if you are going to run DOS that you use some sort of
            sound blaster card. I have had the best luck with old ISA ones. Good luck...

            eric

            <jkyle1@...><br>>Reply-To:
            WNYPinball@yahoogroups.com<br>>To:
            WNYPinball@yahoogroups.com<br>>Subject: Re: [WNYPinball] Re: MAME
            wrote:<br>> > Pictures look good on the machines.<br>> > It
            takes alot to keep a Baby pac man running.I hate videot
            boards.<br>><br>>Yeah, the guy at Superior said that the game nearly
            killed him, trying<br>>to track down the communication problems between
            the pinball and the<br>>video parts. I'm really glad it's fixed though -
            the more I play the<br>>game, the more I like it. I think it's one you
            have to play for a while<br>>to appreciate, look at the video or the
            pinball separately and they're<br>>not very good, but they do actually
            work together well.<br>><br>> > The cabinets look good. Keep the
            sides the way they are.They will look<br>> > origiaal. Plus if you get
            a good mame program they can start up with<br>> > the original game
            when they power up.Make it look original.I run the<br>> > arcade/os.I
            don't get every game but I like the playability.And it<br>> > hasn't
            crapped out on me yet(crossing fingers).I put my monitors the<br>> >
            dead ones right out in the garbage on the appliance days and they
            take<br>> > it no questions asked.Maybe keep the frame mounts you
            figuring on ArcadeOS for the vertical monitor (DOS sound shouldn't<br>>be
            a problem, nor should networking - I keep my full MAME collection
            on<br>>one system and map drives to it from the other systems), my
            only<br>>potential concern is that all the connections will be USB, but
            the BIOS<br>>should make that work OK. I'm also going to have to find out
            if the<br>>current machine I have in mind has enough guts to run even the
            system will probably run XP and MAMEWah, with lots of<br>>other emulators
            besides MAME. I grew up with the Atari 8bit computers so<br>>it'll be fun
            to play those games on an arcade monitor with real<br>>joysticks, even
            better than on the real system on a TV.<br>><br>
          • Jeff Kyle
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2005
              cire sleinad wrote:
              > Glad to see the cabinets are gonna get used, I know that I had them sitting
              > around doing nothing for at least a year. I really hate to have to break
              > them down. Make sure if you are going to run DOS that you use some sort of
              > sound blaster card. I have had the best luck with old ISA ones. Good luck...
              >
              > eric

              Hi, Eric! I didn't know you were on the group. Thanks again for the cabs!

              The machine I'm going to use for DOS has an SB16 currently, but lots of
              experience getting Duke Nukem 3D running on newer machines for
              Dukematches has taught me that the SB Live is also very good in a DOS
              environment - probably much better than the SB16, actually. The Audigy
              works fine, too. I had a problem the one time I tried to use an Audigy 2
              but it may have just been that it was in such a new motherboard, and
              supposedly some are missing the trace that allows a PCI card to act like
              an ISA one. It did seem to initialize properly, so it'd probably be OK
              in another motherboard.