New to the board

  • Nic Armstrong
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3 1:42 PM
      I am new to the board and new to pinball in general. I was into pinball
      a bit when I was younger, but recently got the urge to own one. I just
      bought an old 1966 Williams Top Hand machine. It is in rough shape and
      needs a bit of work, but I can't really afford much more at the moment.
      This is a full EM machine. I have started the rebuilding process-
      cleaning, new rubber, cleaning, painting, oh and cleaning. I have a
      couple of bad coils, that I have on order. I have the schematics, they
      don't look horribly complicated. I have a bit of background working on
      similar stuff, so I hope I can figure it out. The hardest part is
      understanding exactly what the machine should be doing with certain
      things. Anyone else out there with experience restoring and working of
      these old machines?
    • Tim Clark
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3 5:20 PM
        Actually, there are a handfull of people in this group that have EM experience.  I just started really collecting and fixing a couple of years ago myself, but I have experience with auilary equipment control systems (Navy) so working on pins wasn't much of a stretch.  ;)
        As for what it is supposed to be doing, if you have a copy of the manual they typically describe the main reset sequence.  Everything beyond that is typically a simple adjustment here or there.

        Some of the guys in this group have many years of experience and are very knowlegable and helpful.  You can also get EM help on the news groups as well - rec.games.pinball

        Maybe I'll run into you at one of the future "local" gatherings.

        Tim

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 5 9:43 AM
          Hey Tim, thanks for the info. I used to work in industrial
          electronics repair for motor speed controls. I worked on a lot of
          printing presses, which uses a lot of similar technology as pinball
          machines. So I am pretty familar working with ladder logic
          schematics. Unfortuneately I do not have the manual for my machine,
          but I did get the schematic with it. It has 2 "units" in the back
          cabinet- ball count and advance. I did find a bad solenoid that
          controls the advance unit, got the replacement coil today. The
          machine is set up for free play, when you push the button on the
          front, the machine cycles quite a bit, resetting itself. The flippers
          work, ball kicker, and it appears the scoring is all working. I don't
          think it is far off from being fully functional. The balls to play
          lights and the dealers hand lights did not seem to be working as they
          should. Could have something to do with the advance unit not working
          with the bad solenoid. I would really like to get my hands on a
          manual for it, it would probably be a waste of time to call Williams
          and see it they can hook me up.

          --- In WNYPinball@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Clark" <timothy.clark@...>
          wrote:

          > Actually, there are a handfull of people in this group that have EM
          > experience. I just started really collecting and fixing a couple
          of years
          > ago myself, but I have experience with auilary equipment control
          systems
          > (Navy) so working on pins wasn't much of a stretch. ;)
          > As for what it is supposed to be doing, if you have a copy of the
          manual
          > they typically describe the main reset sequence. Everything beyond
          that is
          > typically a simple adjustment here or there.
          >
          > Some of the guys in this group have many years of experience and
          are very
          > knowlegable and helpful. You can also get EM help on the news
          groups as
          > well - rec.games.pinball
          >
          > Maybe I'll run into you at one of the future "local" gatherings.
          >
          > Tim
          >
          > On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Nic Armstrong <mrgr8ness@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I am new to the board and new to pinball in general. I was into
          pinball
          > > a bit when I was younger, but recently got the urge to own one. I
          just
          > > bought an old 1966 Williams Top Hand machine. It is in rough
          shape and
          > > needs a bit of work, but I can't really afford much more at the
          moment.
          > > This is a full EM machine. I have started the rebuilding process-
          > > cleaning, new rubber, cleaning, painting, oh and cleaning. I have
          > > couple of bad coils, that I have on order. I have the schematics,
          they
          > > don't look horribly complicated. I have a bit of background
          working on
          > > similar stuff, so I hope I can figure it out. The hardest part is
          > > understanding exactly what the machine should be doing with
          certain
          > > things. Anyone else out there with experience restoring and
          working of
          > > these old machines?

        • Nic Armstrong
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 13 2:06 PM
            I was able to purchase the 2 page manual online for $5. Worth it I
            guess. I have been getting my parts from bayareaamusements. They seem
            to have a lot of parts, the prices are good, and the shipping charges
            are very fair. They are in CA, but they ship Priority Mail and I get
            the parts in 2 days from order. I am prepping and repainting the
            legs, and I have the playfield torn apart to clean it, replace bulbs,
            and replace rubbers. Hopefully get it all back together and get it
            working.

            --- In WNYPinball@yahoogroups.com, "Nic Armstrong" <mrgr8ness@...>