Letter to Gov. Huckabee from Jason Baldwin

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18, 2006
      Reprint from WM3.org:

      On the January 5, 2006, broadcast of "Arkansans Ask: Gov. Mike Huckabee," the Governor was asked about granting clemency to Damien, Jason and Jessie. He stated that he was not inclined to do so. Jason wrote a response to the Governor, which which was recently printed in the Arkansas Times.

      A protest of innocence
      Arkansas Times Staff
      Updated: 3/30/2006

      Re: Jan. 5 broadcast of “Arkansans Ask: Gov. Mike Huckabee.”

      Dear Governor Huckabee:

      You say you haven’t seen proof of our innocence [the West Memphis Three]. I say that is possible but only if you haven’t searched. I know you are an extremely busy man. You have to be because you have the needs of everyone in Arkansas resting upon your shoulders. I understand and do not blame you for taking the advice of your advisers on this case.

      However, know this Governor: I was 16 years old when I was kidnapped — and from day one I have told the truth about my innocence every chance I was given — but no one with power or authority on earth has listened to me.

      But He has. God has listened and if you don’t believe it all you have to do is look at all the hearts he has touched concerning this.

      It wasn’t fair or right when you said the only concerned citizens were outsiders and that they had reached their conclusions after only viewing a movie. There are many Arkansans who know that I am innocent who have done more than just view a movie. No. 1 on that list is Mara Leveritt. Ask her about the facts of this case. Debate publicly with her. Just make sure you have your facts straight first because I guarantee you she has hers.

      Better yet, drop to your knees and ask God about this in prayer. Be a hero, Governor Huckabee. Take the initiative and really look at this case. If you don’t, I understand and I’ve already forgiven you. Just know this: My faith will never waver and should it do so — God will pick up the slack.

      P.S. Congratulations on your health. I’m a counselor here in prison and I use your example as a role model for the guys to emulate. Thank you.
      C. Jason Baldwin
      Tucker Unit

      Jason Baldwin, who was convicted at age 16 in the slaying of three West Memphis children in 1993, is serving a life sentence at Tucker. Another co-defendant also received a life term and Damien Echols has been sentenced to die for the crime.

    • wolfvision
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 18, 2006
        Hey Bob!

        Here is a suggestion by Jason for Awareness Day that I know you will be
        excited about.

        My best to you and Patrice.

        Wolfvision

        From Jason --

        Dear Supporters of the WM3:

        A friend and I were chatting this weekend when she brought up an important
        issue. With Awareness Day fast approaching, what is being planned for
        Arkansas? After all, this state needs to be everyone's focal point. She
        proposed a brilliant idea, which I want to pass on to you.

        I know many of you over the past decade or so have literally inundated the
        Governor's office with letters. How many letters have been sent? Well, it
        could be anyone's guess. I don't believe anyone is keeping a record, and of
        course, the Governor's office keeps an apparently endless supply of those
        rubber-stamped "form" letters everyone receives in response.

        So the idea is this: We all write another letter to the Governor of
        Arkansas-but wait! This time, instead of mailing these letters directly to
        his office, we address them to the post office box listed below, like this:

        WRITE TO FREEDOM

        Attn: Gov. Mike Huckabee

        P.O. Box 7406

        Little Rock, AR 72217

        How does it sound so far? (By the way, I came up with the name of this
        little mission-"WRITE TO FREEDOM." It has a nice ring, doesn't it?) The
        letters need to be brief, polite and focused. Gov. Huckabee says he hasn't
        seen proof of our innocence. Is he satisfied with the "proofs" of our guilt?
        Tell him what fact of this case troubles you most. Stress how important it
        is for him to be well informed. And don't wait. There isn't much time.
        Please write that letter today!

        All letters must be in by Friday, May 26. As they arrive, Arkansas
        volunteers will sort them as follows: Letters from Arkansans, Letters from
        Other Americans, and, last but not least, Letters from Humanity around the
        Globe.

        As Awareness Day approaches, I expect this cache of letters to grow
        exponentially. In other words, I'm hoping we'll need lots of supporters here
        in Arkansas just to carry them to our great state's capitol. As the date for
        that event draws near, supporters here in Arkansas will post details for
        anyone-from anywhere-who wants to participate.

        If all goes well, local and national media will also be on hand. That's why
        I want you to do this too: On the outside of your envelope, write a brief
        statement about what you told the governor and what you hope he does
        concerning the case of the West Memphis Three. That way, these statements
        can be made available to the media, without opening the Governor's mail.

        I believe the Arkansas Constitution grants power to the Governor to help
        people who have been wrongly convicted. But for him to do that in this case,
        he needs to know the facts. Certainly, once he does, justice will not be
        ignored forever.

        Thank you, everyone. Today is my birthday and I have but one wish. This is
        the last year of my twenties. I'll be happy indeed if Damien, Jessie and I
        can spend just one day of it as free men.

        Always,

        Jason