Re: [WM3az] DNA Tests

  • Jim Walter
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 2, 2006
      I am sure all of this has been hashed and rehashed on here over the years, and I apologize for dredging it all up again. But, as you know, I am new to all of this. So, all of these thoughts are going thru my head for the first time. Thanks for your patience everybody!!

      Melanie Faith <tava_tara@...> wrote: I agree with what you say. An automatic assumption of who is eithr guilty or innocent is what put the three in jail in the first place.
      Now the question is not entirely what HAS been done, but what can be done to help the current situation, and what can be done to prove that evidence was tampered with, jurys were not impartial, etc.

      Jim Walter <wanttowatch699@...> wrote:
      I don't necessarily think he is anything but just creepy. In fact, a lot of the people in the video from that area, sorry to say, seem a little creepy to me. Ironically, for me, it is Damien, Jason, and even Jessie who seem somewhat normal. I do think he "could be guilty", and should be investigated as such, although it may be too late for that. What could they possibly find out now by investigating him, other than the possible DNA evidence they already have.

      My interest does not lie in finding Byers guilty (although that would be a fine possible outcome). While I would like them to find the kliier, it is the issue of the wrongly convicted that has sparked my interest.

      In order to be perfectly fair, I am not even going to go as far as to say that Damien, Jason, and Jessie are innocent. But, I will say that they were in no way proven guilty. some of my friends have said "what if you are worng, and they are guilty?" I answered....then let them prove it. I would be satisfied with a fair trial, in a location such as Chicago, or NY, or LosAngeles, or for that matter even Little Rock. If this evidence exists that conclusively proves them guilty, it will stand up at a trial anywhere, and with any jury pool.

      I think the 2 biggest things that contributed to their conviction are

      1) a judge that did not carry out his duties
      -Jessie's lack of miranda waiver and lack of parental or legal counsel during questioning is first and foremost, because without this nothing else matters because there whole case hinges on that.

      2) A contaminated jury pool.
      - There is no way the jurors could not have been contaminated by media reports, police reports, rumor, etc. Compunding this is the probable lack of legal knowledge to even be a juror. Were they trained on what to do, what to expect, what is allowable, what is not allowable, etc.

      I also think the defense lawyers could have done more to bring attention to these facts during the trial. Even if it took a Johnny Cochran style media performance (after all, OJ is free).

      "Bob B." <megashub@...> wrote:
      Well, at least you didn't go so far as to say that Byers is conclusively guilty. Because, to say that is essentially the same as saying Echols, Misskelley and Baldwin are conclusively guilty. The fact of the matter is, no matter how much we may want it to be true, there is simply not enough evidence to prove it.

      Bob

      Jim Walter <wanttowatch699@...> wrote: Thanks for the info, sorry for the wrong name on Byers. I just watched PL 2 last night, and I will tell you this.....he is one disturbing individual. He personifies the deep south, redneck, uneducated, ignorant, bible totin' steroetype that we all know. I have always been scared by anybody who cannot have a single thought of their own without quoting the bible. The only thing that rings of anything Satanic in this whole case.....is Byers. Someone should tell him that the bible says that Satan will quote the bible anytime it fits his purpose....which is exactly what Byers does.

      "Bob B." <megashub@...> wrote:
      First, excellent questions. I'll be happy to "fill in the blanks" to the best of my knowledge, here goes:

      1) What DNA Evidence are they currently examining? Where did the DNA come from, and what are we hoping it proves.

      They have been testing 37 pages worth of evidence from the WMPD evidence archives. One of which are human tissue samples found and saved from under the victims' fingernails. This may very well end up being the strongest evidence available as it may be able to someone concretely - HOWEVER, that piece of evidence may not yield any conclusive results at all.

      The rest of the evidence is all your typical fare, hair and fiber, clothing, assorted items found at the scene and at the victims' and suspects' houses.

      They are hoping to prove, without a doubt, that none of the three boys were anywhere NEAR the victims or the crime scene and thereby proving that they had nothing to do with the murders. It's quite unlikely they will determine who *WAS* there, but it's entirely possible the findings will be strong enough to prove who *WAS NOT*.

      Here's the link to the full list of DNA testing items:
      http://www.wm3.org/live/trialshearings/chrono_detail.php?chrono_Id=20&guy=1&year=2002#

      2) What is the current status of Gary Byers? In the HBO movie, it mentions him having cancer. Is he still alive?

      As mentioned before, his name is John Mark Byers, he's still alive and does still pester people pointlessly on the WM3 message boards from time to time. He has since remarried and, at last check, was living in a trailer on a big, empty plot of land somewhere in Tennessee.

      3) Realistically, assuming the DNA evidence does not prove anything conclusively, what then? Is this the last real chance for new evidence that "could" warrant a new trial.

      Not entirely. The judicial record on this case is so amazingly lopsided that it's very possible that a strong, conclusive and organized Federal appeal of the State's actions in this case will yield a new trial.

      However, once you file an appeal in the federal courts, it's like saying, "We're satisfied that the case is complete and that nothing was left out, we just think it was handled improperly. Please look at the case and all the appeals entirely and provide your findings." In other words, once you file a Federal appeal on case, you're no longer able to introduce new motions on the case on the State level unless instructed by the Federal courts. Therefore it's absolutely essential any major moves in the Federal court system wait until all their ducks are in a row and all the eggs have been counted or something vital might get missed that could help them in their future appeals.

      When I met with Lorri this past fall, she mentioned the possibility of being in court again in the late summer. But all things in the legal world change so do not hold your breath on that. Any number of things could delay another move in court.

      I hope that answers most everything?

      Branowen, regarding your idea: Most of those kinds of places require you to pay money to them in advance of the event in order to make sure they get paid regardless of whether or not your event is a success. Traditionally, Arizona has been less than monetarily giving for this case and most of our past endeavors have been 10x more valuable for case exposure than for fund raising. Both are equally important, but I (for one), would rather not invest significant capital in a massive undertaking like that without some extremely solid evidence we'd be able to at least break even.

      Your thoughts?

      Thanks!
      Bob Buechler

      Elizabeth Kyllingstad <branowen@...> wrote: Wow, I had no idea JMB still posts on the WM3 boards... That's almost too
      incredible to believe. I mean, what does that man have to say?

      Isn't the DNA testing covering some small items that weren't "damaged" by
      the West Memphis police? I thought they were testing some clothing, the
      Byers knife, the knife found in the lake near Jason's house and some other
      trinkets. In fact, I think there is a list of what is being tested on the
      official site www.wm3.org.

      Bob - I don't know if this is too late to chime in with ideas, but what
      about a fundraiser dinner? I could contact the AZ Witches Ball and ask how
      they do it every year. I know they book a hotel reception area and charge
      about $40 per ticket in advance for a dinner. Most of these reception rooms
      have pulldown screens for business meetings and such if you wanted to show
      your PL1 reel. All we'd have to find is a projector and I'm willing to help
      out in any way I can. Three of my brothers worked at the AZ golf resort
      reception room, so I bet I could even get us a discount if you wanted to set
      up there (it's in East Mesa - Broadway and Power Rd).

      -Elizabeth

      --
      FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS THREE!
      http://www.wm3.org

      p; order trial by jury West virginia bankruptcy law West virginia divorce law West memphis California three strikes law West palm beach law firm

      ---------------------------------

      p; order trial by jury West virginia bankruptcy law West virginia divorce law West memphis California three strikes law West palm beach law firm

      ---------------------------------

      p; order trial by jury West virginia bankruptcy law West virginia divorce law West memphis California three strikes law West palm beach law firm

      ---------------------------------

      p; order trial by jury West virginia bankruptcy law West virginia divorce law West memphis California three strikes law West palm beach law firm

      ---------------------------------

      p; order trial by jury West virginia bankruptcy law West virginia divorce law West memphis California three strikes law West palm beach law firm

      ---------------------------------

      A toast, Jedidiah, to love on my terms: The only terms a man ever knows......his own.
      Orson Welles----Citizen Kane

      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 2, 2006
        Jim,

        There is NO need to apologize. Some of this has been talked about, and some of it hasn't. It's a good thing to refresh people on this, even if they have already discussed it.

        Please continue to ask questions, even if they may sound silly or elementary, I assure you that they are all valuable.

        Thanks,
        Bob

        Jim Walter <wanttowatch699@...> wrote: I am sure all of this has been hashed and rehashed on here over the years, and I apologize for dredging it all up again. But, as you know, I am new to all of this. So, all of these thoughts are going thru my head for the first time. Thanks for your patience everybody!!

        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 2, 2006
          Yesterday, I signed up for the discussion group linked to the wm3.org web page. I think it is topica, or something like that. WOW, are they ever hateful. There are many conversations on there that digress into pretty severe personal attacks on each other. I made some posts, and then read some more threads. All I have to say is I hope there is no way for anybody to find out my actual full real name, or email address.

          "Bob B." <megashub@...> wrote: Jim,

          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 2, 2006
            Topics like this have a way of insighting hate in people, no matter what side of the coin you're on.

            Jim Walter <wanttowatch699@...> wrote: Yesterday, I signed up for the discussion group linked to the wm3.org web page. I think it is topica, or something like that. WOW, are they ever hateful. There are many conversations on there that digress into pretty severe personal attacks on each other. I made some posts, and then read some more threads. All I have to say is I hope there is no way for anybody to find out my actual full real name, or email address.

            "Bob B." <megashub@...> wrote: Jim,

            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 2, 2006
              Additionally, there are people on that list that believe, wholeheartedly and steadfastly, that the guys are guilty. Now, most of us know that it IS possible to disagree and still be civil and hold a calm conversation... however, sadly, the types of people who are not even willing to consider the possibility that the guys are innocent tend to be pretty short-sighted and short-tempered.

              That's not to say that supporters are not to blame as well, most of these guys have been defending the WM3 for so long, against all manner of non-supporters that they get very tired of them, very quickly... often retorting in a way that is not conducive to civil discourse.

              I tend to skim digests of that list, and very rarely ever get directly involved in any of the conversations.

              Bob

              Melanie Faith <tava_tara@...> wrote: Topics like this have a way of insighting hate in people, no matter what side of the coin you're on.

              --
[...]

              "It is always a simple matter to drag people along ... Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country."
              Hermann Goering - Nuremberg
              "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights ... That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government..."
              Declaration of Independence