Re: [WM3az] Re: DNA Tests

  • Jim Walter
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
      I would actually love a copt of that mp3. It is a great little introductory primer to get people involved (worked for me anyway).

      I would love to help if I could, but I actually live in Indiana. Like I said, the other local groups I tried never responded.

      "Bob B." <megashub@...> wrote:
      Jim,

      Up until recently we haven't seen much activity here either. I'm seriously happy to see such good discussion happening here finally.

      How many of you would be available to help out on the week of June 3rd for a benefit?

      Thanks,
      Bob

      Jim Walter <wanttowatch699@...> wrote: That interview (Rollins on Bubba the Love Sponge), was my first glimpse of this case. That was last Thursday. I was on my way home from out of town, and I could not wait to get home and look up the web site. Once I did, I was just consumed by it. I can't stop thinking about it, I can't stop lookinf for information on it.

      Many of the smaller groups are pretty inactive. I joined several of them, but this was the only one that I had any replies on.

      txtothebone <unfcknblvbl@...> wrote:
      Henry Rolllins was on the Bubba the Love Spone show (02.23.06) and he
      said the DNA testing is complete, the results are sealed but the
      courts do not see a need to open the results. Henry thinks the
      results will be opened but not for another 6 months (as the WM3
      continue to needlessly sit in jail) after a massive amount of
      work/pressure by the lawyers. I have the interview in .mp3 format
      and, if there's interest, will post it to one of the Henry Rollins
      yahoo groups or maybe to Rollins-archive.com. I need to edit the file
      so that it contains just the interview but that may take a couple of
      days.

      --- In WM3az@yahoogroups.com, "Bob B." <megashub@...> wrote:

      > First, excellent questions. I'll be happy to "fill in the blanks" to
      the best of my knowledge, here goes:

      > 1) What DNA Evidence are they currently examining? Where did the
      DNA come from, and what are we hoping it proves.

      > They have been testing 37 pages worth of evidence from the WMPD
      evidence archives. One of which are human tissue samples found and
      saved from under the victims' fingernails. This may very well end up
      being the strongest evidence available as it may be able to someone
      concretely - HOWEVER, that piece of evidence may not yield any
      conclusive results at all.

      > The rest of the evidence is all your typical fare, hair and fiber,
      clothing, assorted items found at the scene and at the victims' and
      suspects' houses.

      > They are hoping to prove, without a doubt, that none of the three
      boys were anywhere NEAR the victims or the crime scene and thereby
      proving that they had nothing to do with the murders. It's quite
      unlikely they will determine who *WAS* there, but it's entirely
      possible the findings will be strong enough to prove who *WAS NOT*.

      http://www.wm3.org/live/trialshearings/chrono_detail.php?chrono_Id=20&guy=1&year=2002#

      > 2) What is the current status of Gary Byers? In the HBO movie, it
      mentions him having cancer. Is he still alive?

      > As mentioned before, his name is John Mark Byers, he's still alive
      and does still pester people pointlessly on the WM3 message boards
      from time to time. He has since remarried and, at last check, was
      living in a trailer on a big, empty plot of land somewhere in Tennessee.

      > 3) Realistically, assuming the DNA evidence does not prove
      anything conclusively, what then? Is this the last real chance for new
      evidence that "could" warrant a new trial.

      > Not entirely. The judicial record on this case is so amazingly
      lopsided that it's very possible that a strong, conclusive and
      organized Federal appeal of the State's actions in this case will
      yield a new trial.

      > However, once you file an appeal in the federal courts, it's like
      saying, "We're satisfied that the case is complete and that nothing
      was left out, we just think it was handled improperly. Please look at
      the case and all the appeals entirely and provide your findings." In
      other words, once you file a Federal appeal on case, you're no longer
      able to introduce new motions on the case on the State level unless
      instructed by the Federal courts. Therefore it's absolutely essential
      any major moves in the Federal court system wait until all their
      ducks are in a row and all the eggs have been counted or something
      vital might get missed that could help them in their future appeals.

      > When I met with Lorri this past fall, she mentioned the
      possibility of being in court again in the late summer. But all
      things in the legal world change so do not hold your breath on that.
      Any number of things could delay another move in court.

      > I hope that answers most everything?
      >
      > Branowen, regarding your idea: Most of those kinds of places
      require you to pay money to them in advance of the event in order to
      make sure they get paid regardless of whether or not your event is a
      success. Traditionally, Arizona has been less than monetarily giving
      for this case and most of our past endeavors have been 10x more
      valuable for case exposure than for fund raising. Both are equally
      important, but I (for one), would rather not invest significant
      capital in a massive undertaking like that without some extremely
      solid evidence we'd be able to at least break even.

      > Your thoughts?
      >

      > Thanks!
      > Bob Buechler
      >

      > Elizabeth Kyllingstad <branowen@...> wrote: Wow, I had no
      idea JMB still posts on the WM3 boards... That's almost too
      > incredible to believe. I mean, what does that man have to say?
      >
      > Isn't the DNA testing covering some small items that weren't
      "damaged" by
      > the West Memphis police? I thought they were testing some
      clothing, the
      > Byers knife, the knife found in the lake near Jason's house and
      some other
      > trinkets. In fact, I think there is a list of what is being tested
      on the
      > official site www.wm3.org.
      >
      > Bob - I don't know if this is too late to chime in with ideas, but
      what
      > about a fundraiser dinner? I could contact the AZ Witches Ball and
      ask how
      > they do it every year. I know they book a hotel reception area and
      charge
      > about $40 per ticket in advance for a dinner. Most of these
      reception rooms
      > have pulldown screens for business meetings and such if you wanted
      to show
      > your PL1 reel. All we'd have to find is a projector and I'm
      willing to help
      > out in any way I can. Three of my brothers worked at the AZ golf
      resort
      > reception room, so I bet I could even get us a discount if you
      wanted to set
      > up there (it's in East Mesa - Broadway and Power Rd).
      >
      > -Elizabeth
      >
      > On 2/28/06, David Hoyt <dhoytinaz@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > My first suggestion is to buy and watch Paradise Lost and
      Paradise Lost
      > > 2-Revelations. Then buy the book, Devil's Knot-The true story
      of the West
      > > Memphis Three by Mara Leavit. I suggest watching the movies
      first because
      > > it helped me when reading the book, which is much more in depth,
      keep up
      > > with who people were because you are able to put a face with the
      names.
      > > I too got into this case because of Mr. Rollins. God Bless Him.
      > >
      > > As far as your first question: I am not sure where the DNA
      came from.
      > > We are hoping that it proves one way or the other who did this,
      whether it's
      > > Damien and Jason, or somebody else.
      > > Second Question: The name is John Mark Byers and he goes by
      Mark. He is
      > > still alive and will occasionally post on the West Memphis Three
      mesage
      > > board. I'm not sure that anyone is totally sure as to where he
      is living.
      > > Third Question: I don't know. I hope not. It would have
      been nice if
      > > President Clinton could have found some pardon room for these
      three while he
      > > was handing out all of those pardons in the last couple days he
      was in
      > > office, but thats another story, and one I haven't heard brought
      up much.
      > > I honestly think that now that the appeals are at the federal
      level, and
      > > not taking place in arkansas, that there is much more
      opportunity for common
      > > sense to prevail, let's hope so.
      > >
      > > DaveHoyt
      > >
      > > Kim and Jim <wanttowatch699@...> wrote:
      > > Does anybody know the current status of the DNA Tests? I am pretty
      > > new to this whole thing, and am trying to come up to speed as
      quick as
      > > I can. I just heard an interview with Henry Rollins on my Satellite
      > > radio last week, and that was my first real knowledge of this case.
      > > Since then i have become obsessed with finding information.
      > >
      > > A few questions somebody might be able to help me with:
      > >
      > > 1)What DNA Evidence are they currently examining? Where did the DNA
      > > come from, and what are we hoping it proves.
      > >
      > > 2)What is the current status of Gary Byers? In the HBO movie, it
      > > mentions him having cancer. Is he still alive?
      > >
      > > 3)Realistically, assuming the DNA evidence does not prove anything
      > > conclusively, what then? Is this the last real chance for new
      > > evidence that "could" warrant a new trial.
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > > ------------------------------
      > >

      > --
      > FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS THREE!
      > http://www.wm3.org

      > p; order
      trial by jury West virginia
      bankruptcy law West virginia
      divorce law
      West memphis
      California three strikes law
      West palm beach law firm

      Service.

      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
        Jim,

        If you'd like to help the team in your area, please contact Tammy the WM3 World Awareness Day coordinator at tammy@... for help hooking up with the right people in Indiana.

        Regardless of where you live, I'm happy to have you on our list!

        Thanks,
        Bob

        Jim Walter <wanttowatch699@...> wrote: I would actually love a copt of that mp3. It is a great little introductory primer to get people involved (worked for me anyway).

        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
          I don't necessarily think he is anything but just creepy. In fact, a lot of the people in the video from that area, sorry to say, seem a little creepy to me. Ironically, for me, it is Damien, Jason, and even Jessie who seem somewhat normal. I do think he "could be guilty", and should be investigated as such, although it may be too late for that. What could they possibly find out now by investigating him, other than the possible DNA evidence they already have.

          My interest does not lie in finding Byers guilty (although that would be a fine possible outcome). While I would like them to find the kliier, it is the issue of the wrongly convicted that has sparked my interest.

          In order to be perfectly fair, I am not even going to go as far as to say that Damien, Jason, and Jessie are innocent. But, I will say that they were in no way proven guilty. some of my friends have said "what if you are worng, and they are guilty?" I answered....then let them prove it. I would be satisfied with a fair trial, in a location such as Chicago, or NY, or LosAngeles, or for that matter even Little Rock. If this evidence exists that conclusively proves them guilty, it will stand up at a trial anywhere, and with any jury pool.

          I think the 2 biggest things that contributed to their conviction are

          1) a judge that did not carry out his duties
          -Jessie's lack of miranda waiver and lack of parental or legal counsel during questioning is first and foremost, because without this nothing else matters because there whole case hinges on that.

          2) A contaminated jury pool.
          - There is no way the jurors could not have been contaminated by media reports, police reports, rumor, etc. Compunding this is the probable lack of legal knowledge to even be a juror. Were they trained on what to do, what to expect, what is allowable, what is not allowable, etc.

          I also think the defense lawyers could have done more to bring attention to these facts during the trial. Even if it took a Johnny Cochran style media performance (after all, OJ is free).

          "Bob B." <megashub@...> wrote:
          Well, at least you didn't go so far as to say that Byers is conclusively guilty. Because, to say that is essentially the same as saying Echols, Misskelley and Baldwin are conclusively guilty. The fact of the matter is, no matter how much we may want it to be true, there is simply not enough evidence to prove it.

          Bob

          Jim Walter <wanttowatch699@...> wrote: Thanks for the info, sorry for the wrong name on Byers. I just watched PL 2 last night, and I will tell you this.....he is one disturbing individual. He personifies the deep south, redneck, uneducated, ignorant, bible totin' steroetype that we all know. I have always been scared by anybody who cannot have a single thought of their own without quoting the bible. The only thing that rings of anything Satanic in this whole case.....is Byers. Someone should tell him that the bible says that Satan will quote the bible anytime it fits his purpose....which is exactly what Byers does.

          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
            I edited the file - the interview is just over 30 minutes - and am
            working with Bob (and others) on getting it posted.

            --- In WM3az@yahoogroups.com, Jim Walter <wanttowatch699@...> wrote:

            > I would actually love a copt of that mp3. It is a great little
            introductory primer to get people involved (worked for me anyway).
          • Melanie Faith
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
              I agree with what you say. An automatic assumption of who is eithr guilty or innocent is what put the three in jail in the first place.
              Now the question is not entirely what HAS been done, but what can be done to help the current situation, and what can be done to prove that evidence was tampered with, jurys were not impartial, etc.

              --
[...]

              A toast, Jedidiah, to love on my terms: The only terms a man ever knows......his own.
              Orson Welles----Citizen Kane

            • Jim Walter
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 2, 2006
                I am sure all of this has been hashed and rehashed on here over the years, and I apologize for dredging it all up again. But, as you know, I am new to all of this. So, all of these thoughts are going thru my head for the first time. Thanks for your patience everybody!!

                Melanie Faith <tava_tara@...> wrote: I agree with what you say. An automatic assumption of who is eithr guilty or innocent is what put the three in jail in the first place.

                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 2, 2006
                  Jim,

                  There is NO need to apologize. Some of this has been talked about, and some of it hasn't. It's a good thing to refresh people on this, even if they have already discussed it.

                  Please continue to ask questions, even if they may sound silly or elementary, I assure you that they are all valuable.

                  Thanks,
                  Bob

                  Jim Walter <wanttowatch699@...> wrote: I am sure all of this has been hashed and rehashed on here over the years, and I apologize for dredging it all up again. But, as you know, I am new to all of this. So, all of these thoughts are going thru my head for the first time. Thanks for your patience everybody!!

                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 2, 2006
                    Yesterday, I signed up for the discussion group linked to the wm3.org web page. I think it is topica, or something like that. WOW, are they ever hateful. There are many conversations on there that digress into pretty severe personal attacks on each other. I made some posts, and then read some more threads. All I have to say is I hope there is no way for anybody to find out my actual full real name, or email address.

                    "Bob B." <megashub@...> wrote: Jim,

                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 2, 2006
                      Topics like this have a way of insighting hate in people, no matter what side of the coin you're on.

                      Jim Walter <wanttowatch699@...> wrote: Yesterday, I signed up for the discussion group linked to the wm3.org web page. I think it is topica, or something like that. WOW, are they ever hateful. There are many conversations on there that digress into pretty severe personal attacks on each other. I made some posts, and then read some more threads. All I have to say is I hope there is no way for anybody to find out my actual full real name, or email address.

                      "Bob B." <megashub@...> wrote: Jim,

                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 2, 2006
                        Additionally, there are people on that list that believe, wholeheartedly and steadfastly, that the guys are guilty. Now, most of us know that it IS possible to disagree and still be civil and hold a calm conversation... however, sadly, the types of people who are not even willing to consider the possibility that the guys are innocent tend to be pretty short-sighted and short-tempered.

                        That's not to say that supporters are not to blame as well, most of these guys have been defending the WM3 for so long, against all manner of non-supporters that they get very tired of them, very quickly... often retorting in a way that is not conducive to civil discourse.

                        I tend to skim digests of that list, and very rarely ever get directly involved in any of the conversations.

                        Bob

                        Melanie Faith <tava_tara@...> wrote: Topics like this have a way of insighting hate in people, no matter what side of the coin you're on.

                        --
[...]

                        "It is always a simple matter to drag people along ... Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country."
                        Hermann Goering - Nuremberg
                        "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights ... That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government..."
                        Declaration of Independence