Phoenix Update + NEWS!

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2004
      All,

      Recently, a last-minute event was thrown together, after we discovered that long-time supporters of the WM3 were coming through town - The Supersuckers.

      I (Bob), went solo with my trusty box of swag in one arm, and a fist full of flyers and mailing list signups in the other. All in all, it was a GREAT night, with some outstanding tunes and an enthusiastic crowd. I was very warmly received by both the bands and the audience. Hell, I even sold a shirt. Thanks to all those who showed their support by signing up for this list!

      NOW - On to the news:

      Recently, Lorri Davis - Damien Echols' wife sent an updated email out to everyone via wm3.org. Before I repost that letter, I'd like to inform you of a local effort we're about to begin. The success of which, likely will fall directly to all of you:

      The opportunity has presented itself to show both "Paradise Lost" and "Paradise Lost 2" at Madstone Theaters, for a one-night-only event-calibre run. Our plan is to turn this into a huge event, which might possibly include personal appearances by Grove Pashley, Burk Sauls and Kathy Bakken - the three original founders of the WM3 Support Group. If you've seen Paradise Lost 2, you got a chance to 'meet' them already. Other possibilities include Mara Leveritt - author of Devil's Knot: The True Story of the West Memphis Three. If we can land these huge supporters of the West Memphis Three to attend this event, we'll not only be screening the two films, but we'll also present our guests in a special exclusive Q&A session about the case, as it stands today, and what that means for everyone who supports them.

      To make this happen though, we need your help to raise the necessary money. Madstone has graciously presented us with an option that, if successful would reimburse us the investment. If we provide them an insurance down-payment, and we later bring in enough money in box office sales to equal or exceed that amount, we will then be reimbursed our down-payment.

      The exact amount of the down-payment will depend on the day we choose to hold the event, and the size of the autotorium that we wish to use. For those reasons, I cannot provide exact figures, except to say that we need to raise at the very least $400.

      What we'd very much like to do is: a) raise enough funds to provide the down-payment, b) make enough money to get that payment back, and finally c) donate that money to the WM3 Legal Defense Fund - where it is desperately needed.

      With that, I now present Lorri Davis:

      A LETTER FROM LORRI DAVIS & DAMIEN ECHOLS
      Dear Friends and Supporters:

      We have reached a critical point in Damien's case, and are looking to prepare his appeal for federal court. His case was recently dismissed by the Arkansas State Supreme Court, and the federal petition (habeas corpus) is due within a few months. There are some remaining tasks including additional investigation, that must be accomplished in order to complete his appeals in both state (in case it is sent back) and federal court - we want to be certain all bases have been covered - he only has one shot at this.

      We have retained new counsel who is an expert at post conviction appeal work. Funds are needed to pay legal fees that will ensure a complete record for Damien. This is his last chance. More than ever, we need your help.

      Thanks to everyone who has helped in the past. It is because of your support we are able to continue this fight for justice. Your past donations have enabled us to make strides in investigation for all three cases, and will help fund the testing of evidence for DNA. You are amazing and we are eternally grateful for your help.

      Most sincerely,
      Lorri Davis

      ---

      If we can just pull together, we can all make this local Phoenix event happen. What's more, we could even make a huge donation to the Legal Defense Fund in the process.

      Even if you, yourself are not able to financially assist this effort, we still want to hear from each and every one of you. Please take a minute and reply to this email, even if just to say hello.

      Thank you all for your continued support of the West Memphis Three.

      Sincerely,
      Bob Buechler

    • anika77
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2004
        Hi All,

        I'm Amy..and I'm one of the co-owners of downtown Phoenix art gallery
        and bookstore, Perihelion Arts. We are longtime supporters of the
        WM3..and would always make our space available for talks, film
        showings, benefits, anything. My cell number is 602.334.6299..and I'd
        also love to attend one of your meetings.

        Thanks,
        Amy

      • anika77
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2004

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 29, 2004
            Amy,

            Great to hear from you! I'll be calling you shortly (this evening or tomorrow most likely).

            I would love to meet with you, take a look at your space and see what we can do!

            To be honest, this took me a little off guard, as we've been hunting for spaces like these for months now. heh.

            Talk to you soon!
            Bob

            PS: I was beginning to wonder if this thing actually worked, as no one has ever replied to anything yet. heheh... 16 members of the list... first reply. kinda strange. <smirk>