239KARK interview with Mara

  • wolfvision
    Feb 5, 2007
      Author Speaks Out on New DNA in West Memphis Three Case
      Reported by: Sydney Hart, KARK 4 News
      02/05/2007 03:53pm

      It's still too early to speculate, but last week the attorney for Damien Echols told KARK 4 new scientific evidence could shed significant light on the case and Monday, a local author following this case closely speaks out.

      "I've tried to keep attention focused on this case," admits Mara Leveritt, author of "Devils Knot."

      The murder case Leveritt is talking about is most commonly known as the West Memphis Three case from 1993.

      Leveritt even wrote a book, "Devils Knot," questioning the justice system and criticising court procedures in the case. She is thrilled new evidence will soon be presented to prosecutors.

      "We've known for a long time the defense attorneys combined with their own investigators have been looking very closely at whatever DNA evidence that survived the time of the murders," says Leveritt.

      The defense attorney for Damien Echols, one of the three teens convicted in this case, admits the new scientific evidence could significantly effect this 14 year old murder case.

      "I understand there was a large amount of material reexamined. I don't know how much or precisely what and we don't know what, if anything, was gleaned from it," adds Leveritt.

      But Echols, Jason Baldwin, and Jessie Misskelley are serving prison terms for the 1993 killings of Christopher Byers, Stevie Branch, and Michael Moore.

      Leveritt hopes the new evidence will shed light on what she considers gray areas reguarding the West Memphis Three, "All they're saying is they've got something. They've got something to file and the will be filing."

      Hey Bob,

      Some further info on the case:

      As KARK 4 mentioned, we talked to a defense attorny late last week and Monday KARK 4 spoke with prosecuting attorney, Brent Davis

      Davis says this is an ongoing investigation and he expects to set an informal meeting with the defense teams to discuss the results and decide what could go forward in possible future court motions.

      Defense attorney, Dennis Riordan, says the first meeting could take place as soon as this month in Arkansas.
      Leveritt has also spoken to the defense attornies and has statements from them on her website at www.maraleveritt.com