207Letter to Gov. Huckabee from Jason Baldwin

    Apr 18, 2006
      Reprint from WM3.org:

      On the January 5, 2006, broadcast of "Arkansans Ask: Gov. Mike Huckabee," the Governor was asked about granting clemency to Damien, Jason and Jessie. He stated that he was not inclined to do so. Jason wrote a response to the Governor, which which was recently printed in the Arkansas Times.

      A protest of innocence
      Arkansas Times Staff
      Updated: 3/30/2006

      Re: Jan. 5 broadcast of “Arkansans Ask: Gov. Mike Huckabee.”

      Dear Governor Huckabee:

      You say you haven’t seen proof of our innocence [the West Memphis Three]. I say that is possible but only if you haven’t searched. I know you are an extremely busy man. You have to be because you have the needs of everyone in Arkansas resting upon your shoulders. I understand and do not blame you for taking the advice of your advisers on this case.

      However, know this Governor: I was 16 years old when I was kidnapped — and from day one I have told the truth about my innocence every chance I was given — but no one with power or authority on earth has listened to me.

      But He has. God has listened and if you don’t believe it all you have to do is look at all the hearts he has touched concerning this.

      It wasn’t fair or right when you said the only concerned citizens were outsiders and that they had reached their conclusions after only viewing a movie. There are many Arkansans who know that I am innocent who have done more than just view a movie. No. 1 on that list is Mara Leveritt. Ask her about the facts of this case. Debate publicly with her. Just make sure you have your facts straight first because I guarantee you she has hers.

      Better yet, drop to your knees and ask God about this in prayer. Be a hero, Governor Huckabee. Take the initiative and really look at this case. If you don’t, I understand and I’ve already forgiven you. Just know this: My faith will never waver and should it do so — God will pick up the slack.

      P.S. Congratulations on your health. I’m a counselor here in prison and I use your example as a role model for the guys to emulate. Thank you.
      C. Jason Baldwin
      Tucker Unit

      Jason Baldwin, who was convicted at age 16 in the slaying of three West Memphis children in 1993, is serving a life sentence at Tucker. Another co-defendant also received a life term and Damien Echols has been sentenced to die for the crime.