Kneeling carpets Update

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2006
      Greetings All -

      First thank-you for your patience on this project.

      At the November meeting, the Regalia Commission approved the final
      designs for the Kneeling Carpets by Mistress Anne of Bradford.
      Unfortunately, there arose from the discussion a question about using
      one of the elements from a heraldic point of view. It was researched
      and determined that one element was held by an individual as a badge in
      another Kingdom. Once this conflict is resolved, the final charts for
      the carpets can be generated. Meanwhile, during the next few weeks the
      people who originally volunteered for the project will be contacted to
      determine their continuing interest in the project. In addition,
      supplies will be ordered to do final determinations for color, yarn
      type, quantity of yarn required, etc.

      The design includes the following design elements - multiple interlace
      borders, the devices for The West, Mists, Cynagua and Oertha, overall
      trellis pattern background, and central motif oak leaf wreath and
      crown.

      Due to the intricacy of the design, this project will require a high
      degree of uniformity of stitching and detail work. The needleworkers
      will asked to:
      - read and follow a chart
      - do the continental stitch throughout the piece to ensure front and
      back coverage
      - work with multiple plys of wool yarn
      - work with multiple colors easily (possibly use multiple needles as
      the same time)
      - keep a relatively uniform tension on the stitches (x number of inches
      of thread to y number of stitches) on 10 count canvas
      - work on a frame - approximately 2' x 2'
      - complete their portion of the project within a given time frame (6-8
      months during 2006)

      Assuming we can use the current center motif, the center sections will
      not be divided. Therefore, the center sections will go to 2 sets of
      people who are willing to work in teams.

      In addition, we will need 2 assemblers. These assemblers will put the
      sections together. Stitch the connecting pattern lines. Stitch an
      outer band. Stitch the edging. Block the rug if needed. Add the lining,
      rug tape, and backing.

      Lastly, the carpets will need to have canvas carryalls made for them to
      travel safely and be stored when not in use.

      This is a big project, but with the many skilled hands of our
      needleworkers, the rugs will finally emerge to add to our Kingdom's
      splendor.

      Guild Patron (and thread wrangler)