What was your first needlework?

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
      What was your first piece of historically inspired needlework? Or, if
      you prefer -- what was your first piece of needlework, period?

      Did you enjoy it? Do you still have it? What did you make? What
      techniques did you use? Was it a good beginning or a traumatic
      experience? <grin> Share the story!

      I'm collecting answers to this question for the Winter issue of the
      West Kingdom Needleworkers Guild's newsletter, _Filum Aureum_, whose
      feature article will be on "The Bayeux Tapestry." These are for our
      "needleworker in the street interview" column, called "Through the
      Needle's Eye." I need your answers by December 10th. If you're not
      already on our paper-mail list, I'd be happy to mail anyone a copy of
      the newsletter when it comes out in return for your answer (whether I
      use it or not).

      (And please sign your answer with your _complete_ SCA name and
      kingdom. Thanks!)

      * * * * * * * *

      Standard fine print stuff: If you post an answer, I will assume you
      have given permission for your answer to be
      published. Answers may be edited for brevity, relevance et cetera.

      Out-of-kingdom contributions are welcome, and in fact I try to pass
      this notice along to other SCA embroiderers. Please forward freely
      (checking first to be sure it's not a duplicate).

      O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe , Shire of Windy Meads
      + Chris Laning <claning@...>
    • Joan Hall
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2005
        My first piece of SCA-period-historically-inspired needlework was an embroidery kit that a friend brought me almost 15 years ago from her trip to France. It's a Bayeaux-tapestry-inspired piece of laidwork, I guess. The design is a large winged lion set into a square with smaller lions in the corners. The instructions on the kit refer to it as "Bayeaux stitch." It's about a foot square. I still have it and haven't (after all these years!) yet decided what to do with it.

        Joan the Harper