Introducing Myself

  • tn_lark
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 18, 2005
      Greetings onto my fellow embroiderers,

      I am currently a resident of the warm and muggy Kingdom of Meridies. I
      joined this message board as I have other SCA embroidery sites in order
      to learn as much as possible about period embroidery styles and
      techniques.

      My own persona is Celt from the south of Britain at the time of the
      Roman invasions. In terms of Celtic art, that would place me in the La
      Tene period, way before most knotwork was present. We know from
      Suetonius's writings that the Celts wore clothes that were "brightly
      embroidered" by since none of the pieces survived, we really have
      little idea of how this embroidery might have been used. So I
      embroider my garb in ways that are pleasing to me, but not necessarily
      100% accurate for period.

      In the meantime, I am working on an A&S piece based on the small
      maniple or girdle amongst the relics of St. Cuthbert which date to the
      early 10th century. And I have some plans for something based on the
      Llangorse embroideries as well.

      You can see examples of some of my work at

      http://www.tangledmoon.org/Embroid1.htm

      Pleased to make the acquaintance of all here.

      Iofa ferch Macsen
      (Sword Brother of the Great Dark Horde)
    • Amy Bodine
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 18, 2005
        Wow! That is wonderful work!

        If you haven't found our Guild's website, check out
        http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle/. We have a number of links to other
        resources there, as well as articles, and soon the section featuring the
        various works of our members will be updated (I'm almost done, everyone,
        honest! :-)

        Felicia

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 18, 2005
          In a message dated 7/18/05 12:00:20 PM, lark@... writes:

          << Celts wore clothes that were "brightly

          embroidered" by since none of the pieces survived, we really have

          little idea of how this embroidery might have been used. >>

          Greetings!

          Have you seen the Holchdorf IV book, available from oxbow books?
          Unfortunately, it's in German, but it discusses the Hallstat-era textiles and embroideries
          that were found at Holchdorf. I know, it's several centuries earlier than La
          Tene, but at least it's something.

          Cheers,
          Gabrielle
          Former Meridian, and friend to the Great Dark Horde
        • carriecuinn
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5 8:36 PM
            Greetings,

            I am new to the Guild and to the SCA (I have some friends in the Society and I've been to few
            events over the year but not as a member until now) and am excited to begin working on
            historical needlework projects ... I have been embroidering and knitting for several years, but
            mostly modern designs.

            I am in Sacramento, Ca, and look forward to meeting other guild members in the future.

            Thank you,

            Aibhilin inghean Eoghain
          • debra_oleary
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 25, 2007
              Hi,
              My name in real life is Debra O'Leary and I live in San Francisco. I
              am very new to SCA and I've only been to a couple meetings but, thought
              I would introduce myself. I haven't even come up with a name yet. I
              am interested in joining your guild so I thought I would introduce
              myself. I'm planning to attend 12th Night and am looking forward to
              seeing the auction items and hope to talk to some of you then.

              My Mom started to teach me embroidery when I was about three. I'm very
              interested in Blackwork and have done some experimentation and
              research. I've tried a couple of the patterns from this site:
              http://www.blackworkarchives.com/ . Though right now I am focusing on
              making some basic clothes, I am hoping to do some trimming but, not
              sure if I'll have the time. I'm not very good at sewing clothes, yet.

              Cheers,
              Debra