looking for merchants I can order books from

  • bertiebot69
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005
      Hey All,

      Wondering if anyone knows of a merchant I can order some books from
      preferably period books or books with period information. I am looking
      to aquire information on period needlework. I've tried Alibris & Amazon-
      no luck. If anyone can recommend a merchant with reasonable prices
      that I can order from, please pass the information along my way...

      Thanks!
    • Joan Jurancich
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005
        At 07:58 PM 7/4/2005, you wrote:
        >Hey All,
        >
        >Wondering if anyone knows of a merchant I can order some books from
        >preferably period books or books with period information. I am looking
        >to aquire information on period needlework. I've tried Alibris & Amazon-
        >no luck. If anyone can recommend a merchant with reasonable prices
        >that I can order from, please pass the information along my way...
        >
        >Thanks!

        I depends upon exactly what period you are thinking about. Dover
        Books have quite a few reprinted sources; some of them are pre-1600
        but the bulk are 18th or 19th (especially) century. You might try
        their web site http://store.yahoo.net/doverpublications/ and look
        under the crafts section. You can also try the arts & crafts section
        of Poison Pen Press at http://www.poisonpenpress.com/art.html
        . Small Churl Books is another one - http://small-churl-books.com/ .

        Joan Jurancich
        joanmj@...

      • Debra Cobb
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2005
          You might also try Advanced Book Exchange (website similiar to Alibris);
          Pastiche (SCA merchant from Oregon); and Black Hat Books (England) for
          period needlework books. I don't have their websites on hand, but if you do
          a search, I'm sure you will come up with their sites.

          In service,

          Isela
          Wondering if anyone knows of a merchant I can order some books from
          preferably period books or books with period information. I am looking
          to aquire information on period needlework. I've tried Alibris & Amazon-
          no luck. If anyone can recommend a merchant with reasonable prices
          that I can order from, please pass the information along my way...

          Thanks!

          follow the directions. If you have problems doing this, please e-mail the
          Guild Deputy, Christian de Holacombe, at <claning@...>. The WK
          Needleworkers Guild Website is at http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2005
            Before you order any books, check out our Annotated Bibliography
            section of the Guild website. There you will find out about a number of
            resources available for historical embroidery.

            Patron, Kingdom of the West Needleworkers Guild
            Website: http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle/

            "So simple, so beautiful, so easy - ask me how."

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2005
              At 9:35 AM -0700 7/5/05, Debra Cobb wrote:
              >You might also try Advanced Book Exchange (website similiar to Alibris);
              >Pastiche (SCA merchant from Oregon); and Black Hat Books (England) for
              >period needlework books. I don't have their websites on hand, but if you do
              >a search, I'm sure you will come up with their sites.

              My favorite book search is http://www.bookfinder.com , which searches
              about a dozen sites, including Advanced Book Exchange, Alibris,
              Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Powell's and others. This turns up books both
              new and used and enables you to find the best prices. Others
              recommend http://www.addall.com for more or less the same purpose.

              As for _which_ books to get, there's an extensive book list in our
              FILES section that tells you what the various books are about and
              which ones are most useful.

              If you're just starting out, the first book I'd recommend is Kay
              Staniland's _Medieval Craftsmen: Embroiderers_. It's about $30 (the
              last time I looked) and is an excellent overview of medieval
              embroidery and embroiderers -- not a technique book, but full of
              information.

              Collecting "how to" books is usually not too difficult, but
              collecting books that actually show examples of historical needlework
              isn't as easy. There are relatively few books that are _entirely_
              examples of historical embroidery; more often, a museum exhibition
              will have two or three pieces of needlework among its 200 or so other
              items. If you can narrow down what you're looking for, ask, and I'm
              sure lots of us will have recommendations!

              O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe , Shire of Windy Meads
              + Chris Laning <claning@...>
            • M D
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 25, 2005
                At June Crown, an embroiderer met Maureen and William from the Far West and
                mentioned that she would like to get in contact with "the lady from the Far
                West who came to 12th night with Sir Guy le Strange." That would be me.
                Unfortunately, Maureen lost the name and email of the woman who was looking
                for me. So if anyone on this list is looking for me, I can be contacted at
                aussieprincess84@....

                Ysabelle d'Angiers