Embroiderer's Guild of America

  • Cristeane
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22, 2004
      Greetings All!

      First, I want to apologize to anyone who gets this more than once.

      Second, Does anyone here know anything about the Embroiderer's Guild
      of America? (http://www.egausa.org/) Has anyone taken any of the the
      Correspondence courses from them?
      (http://www.egausa.org/ICC/icc.htm) Is it worth the time and money?

      I would appreciate any information you can give me.

      Thanks in advance,
      Kit
      If you walk a mile in someone else's shoes, do you get to keep them? -
      Kenneth Cole
    • Aelfie
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 24, 2004
        Hi

        I'm a member of the EGA. In fact, I'm the newsletter
        editor for my chapter in fact. I keep thinking of
        joining ANG, but I've not gotten around to it yet.

        Sabrina's description of the Correspondence courses is
        really good. I've taken one correspondence course on
        Hardanger and really enjoyed it. The instruction book
        was well written, the illustrations were well done and
        I only had to ask a more experienced stitcher once for
        help (Am I doing this right or am I crazy?) (I should
        also mention it was an intermediate hardanger class
        and it was my third project)

        Correspondence courses can be done in groups, or
        individually. Usually each chapter picks one to do a
        year. (our chapter chose to do a class on peyote
        stitch beading) Regions also chose one class to take.
        I'm not taking the chapter's course this year, but I
        am taking the regions (Oksana's Sampler) and am
        looking forward to it. So far I've found the classes
        to be reasonable (I think each were around $40.00)

        My chapter tends to be kinda individualistic on
        working on classes. If you have questions you ask
        someone else for help. Rather than saying "Okay, we
        are going to meet on the 3rd friday of the month in
        the afternoon to work on this project" Some chapters
        do tho. It depends on the group dynamic

        The other education opportunitites that the EGA
        chapters can give are the workshops. Chapters hold
        workshops occasionally (usually at least once a year),
        they bring in a national teacher for a day or two and
        s/he teaches a project, technique. My chapter is doing
        one in february with Amy Mitten on her "Missing
        Persons file 1018" Its supposed to be a murder mystery
        sampler. I'm really looking forward to it.

        I hope that answers some questions! Feel free to ask
        more.

        Jen

        BTW I'm really jealous of Eowyn 'cause she got to go
        to ANG in Reno. I had planned on going, but I ended up
        having a family party I couldn't get out of in stead.
        Grrr.

        The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
        http://my.yahoo.com