Some New Examples of Extant Embroidery

  • Jane Stockton
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 24, 2004
      Hi Everyone,

      I have just posted links to about a dozen new (well, new to me!) examples
      of extant embroideries that I have found in various places over the last
      couple of weeks. I have posted them on the blog because some of the links
      are very long and break up in email.

      My blog: http://laren.blogspot.com/

      Here is a list of the items (without links):

      * Embroidered English Shirt c.1600-1620 (I've never seen this one before,
      image is small)
      * Italian Pillow or Bag 16thC - Holbein Stitch
      * Italian Pillow Case, 16th C - blackwork
      * Italian Border Fragment, 16th C
      * Polychrome English Smock, 16th C
      * Embroidered Venetian Needlecase, 16th C
      * Embroidered Portrait of Elizabeth I, 16th C
      * A Portrait with Embroidered Cover, 16th C
      * Sweetbag, 16th C

      From the V and A:
      * T.17-1957 - sweetbag (16th C English)
      * T.92-1969 - Icon Panel (14th C Venice)
      * T.141-1969 - altar frontal (16th C Spain)
      * 673-1864 - Clare Chasuble (13th C English)
      * 225-1893 - sleeve - beading and couching - (16th C English)

      YIS,

      Jane