Traveling with Embroidery

  • Hilary Powers
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2004
      Has anyone flown lately with embroidery tools?

      I've got a 6-hr plane ride looming - my first since 9/11 - and am not
      sure where to turn to find out about the rules on on-board handwork....

      --
      - Hilary Powers - hilary@... - Oakland CA -
      - Freelance copyediting and developmental editing -
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2004
        Everything should be fine except scissors, but that
        can easily be solved by taking either blunt-tipped
        scissors or a hidden blade device like the round
        medalions Clover makes. You can get those anywhere
        and pretty inexpensively. TSA says that knitting and
        crochet needles are fine, but say nothing about
        embroidery needles. I'd imagine they're too small and
        unwieldy to potentially do much damage, but you can
        always write or call to make sure. Also, you might
        want to leave the scroll frames with screw knob ends
        at home - my embroidery bag got searched the last time
        I brought those, because they looked like two sticks
        of dynamite to the scanner.
        For detailed info, this is the TSA's report as of
        November last year:
        http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_12_18_2003.pdf

        Take care,
        Aelia

        --- Hilary Powers <hilary@...> wrote:
        > Has anyone flown lately with embroidery tools?
        >
        > I've got a 6-hr plane ride looming - my first since
        > 9/11 - and am not
        > sure where to turn to find out about the rules on
        > on-board handwork....
        >
        > --
        > - Hilary Powers - hilary@... - Oakland CA
        > -
        > - Freelance copyediting and developmental editing
        > -
        > - The edit you want, when you want it done.
        > -

      • annora
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2004
          > Has anyone flown lately with embroidery tools?
          >
          > I've got a 6-hr plane ride looming - my first since 9/11 - and am not
          > sure where to turn to find out about the rules on on-board handwork....

          I've not had problems with fine needles (never tried to take a
          heavier tapestry or crewel one) and have accidentally gotten through with
          one of those razor blade in a letter opener gizmos. That however, was
          unintentional and I take it out of my bag now. On another of my lists
          someone also mentioned taking dental floss and using the cutter on that.
          I usually precut my thread and resign myself to trimming the finished ends
          after the flight.

          That may be awkward depending on what kind of work you do. I've
          taken pieces where I work with one strand of floss at a time so even just
          two precut lengths yield many strands which last quite awhile. Flip side
          of that is that the light on the plane is often not strong enough to do
          fine work.

          I've also gotten through with a few pins stuck into fabric, say
          enough to hold up 18" of hem. Have not tried taking a whole box or a pin
          cushion full.

          --annora
          5+ hour flight coming up this week too
        • Susan Farmer
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2004

            > Has anyone flown lately with embroidery tools?
            >
            > I've got a 6-hr plane ride looming - my first since 9/11 - and am not
            > sure where to turn to find out about the rules on on-board handwork....

            I flew last spring from Tennessee to Ontario California. I only packed
            a couple of needles in case they confiscated them (which they didn't)
            and bought me one of those "ring cutter" things at AC Moore. You
            wear it like a ring and there's a tiny blade inside where about all
            it can do is cut thread. I packed my scissors in my checked baggage.

            YMMV -- I also managed (inadvertantly) to get on the plane with *3*
            pocket knives in my carry on lugggage.

            Jerusha in Meridies
          • lilinah@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
              Hilary wrote:
              >Has anyone flown lately with embroidery tools?
              >
              >I've got a 6-hr plane ride looming - my first since 9/11 - and am not
              >sure where to turn to find out about the rules on on-board handwork....

              I haven't flown since Christmas, but at that time i went with my
              whole needle book - no huge honkin' needles, but quite a few and in a
              range of sizes - with no problem.

              I wore one of those Clover thread cutters on a ribbon around my neck
              - took it off and put it in the little bowl along with my watch when
              going through the metal detector - so it was in plain sight - with no
              problems.

              And i embroidered on the plane with no problems, well, other than the
              terrible light on planes - next time i'm bringing a clip-on light.

              If you're going out of the US, there may be different rules. Besides
              what the TSA says, airlines can make stricter rules.

              Anahita