Re: Calontir copes - wow

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2004
      At 6:28 PM -0800 3/11/04, Willow Polson wrote:
      >You guys have to see this -- why doesn't the West do something like this?
      >We can each do one or more of the little teeny devices along the border...

      Aren't they spectacular? Everyone is drooling over them!

      We do have service projects that are similar to this -- we've done
      (and are still doing) a series of "Rose Pouches" for Queens from
      other Kingdoms and from our own, along with some "traveling bags".
      (See this list's photo section.) They just tend to be projects in
      multiple little pieces, rather than one or two big ones!

      There is also, I believe, a Royal tablecloth in the official regalia
      that has the devices of our Shires and Principalities on it -- this
      was made something like 8 years ago, it was just finishing up when I
      joined, so someone else can probably say a lot more about it.

      Over the slightly longer term, we're still planning to produce
      "kneeling carpets" to be used before the Thrones, and those will be a
      group project with each volunteer doing a square of the design. As
      far as I know, it's still in the planning stages, but if you're
      interested in doing a rug section in long-armed cross stitch, you can
      e-mail either Sabrina at <sabrinadelabere@...> or Isela di
      Bari at <dcobb@...>.
      O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe
      | Chris Laning <claning@...>
      + Shire of Windy Meads - Davis, California
    • Willow Polson
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 15, 2004
        At 04:38 PM 3/15/2004 -0800, you wrote:
        >We do have service projects that are similar to this -- we've done
        >(and are still doing) a series of "Rose Pouches" for Queens from
        >other Kingdoms and from our own, along with some "traveling bags".
        >
        >There is also, I believe, a Royal tablecloth in the official regalia
        >that has the devices of our Shires and Principalities on it -- this
        >was made something like 8 years ago, it was just finishing up when I
        >joined, so someone else can probably say a lot more about it.

        Yes... I was one of the stitchers who did a device for the tablecloth. I
        know about the various things you've described here... I was specifically
        asking why we don't work on a set of coronation copes like the ones in the
        photos, not asking what general service projects are available to be done.
        Sorry for the confusion.

        Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
        Give my Pagan Paradise Live365 Radio Station a listen!
        http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson
      • Willow Polson
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 15, 2004
          At 05:14 PM 3/15/2004 -0800, you wrote:
          >Since the Calontir project took 3 years and was quite an
          >undertaking....maybe you could write a story for the Guild 's newsletter
          >about the making of this cope.

          Erm..... since I'm not in Calontir, don't know any of the people involved,
          and literally don't have 2 seconds to rub together right now, I am unable
          to write said article. Sorry about that.

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 30, 2004
            I was wondering if there were any plans to put any more recent issues
            of this newsletter up on the web.

            Barring that, What does a subscription cost -- and is it possible
            to get a Whole Set?

            thanks!
            Jerusha in Meridies
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 30, 2004
              "subscription" is a donation of $10-12 per year (we will be asking
              for $12 beginning in June, but if you'd like to be generous ahead of
              time...
              check payable to SCA Inc. - mail to Robin Berry, PO Box 1809, El
              Granada, CA 94018

              our webminister is busy getting various other projects up on the
              website and the articles and pdf transfer and webbing falls to me -
              so in my copious spare time... - Christian has given me a CD with the
              more recent stuff at 12th Night and I'm hoping to have some time
              after June Crown to work on webbing articles. The pdfs might get up
              sooner - we shall see.

              I have some, but not all back issues - let me know, off line, if you
              are interested in any in particular - again send me $12 and I'll mail
              you 5.

              Guild Minister

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 31, 2004
                Just a note that I posted the feature articles and projects from
                issues #21, #22, and #23 today in the Files section of the [WKneedle]
                mailing list at Yahoo. That catches us up to the present, I think.
                These are the issues featuring split stitch, appliqué and chain
                stitch respectively. Thanks to Susan/Jerusha for calling it to my
                attention!