Fwd: [Authentic_SCA] Calontir copes - wow

  • Willow Polson
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 11, 2004
      You guys have to see this -- why doesn't the West do something like this?
      We can each do one or more of the little teeny devices along the border...

      >Wow! Look at all that handwoven, hand-dyed stuff...
      >
      > The SCA Kingdom of Calontir has been working on a new set of
      >coronation copes for about 3 years. They are now done and are being
      >shown on these two websites - the first site has a good set
      >of "overview" pics, the second site has close-ups. These are
      >inspiring.
      >
      > http://www.madgoose.net/copes/
      >
      > http://home.comcast.net/~maerwynn/index.html
      >
      > To quote from the message that brought it to my attention:
      > " All the heraldry pieces were done in hand dyed silk. The bodies
      >of the copes are handwoven wool. All the trim and cording was
      >handwoven card or inkle loom and I think a little luceting, using
      >more silk. The lining for the copes and base fabric for the orphrey
      >strips are purchased silk."
      > > >
      > > > Hrothny

      Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
      Give my Pagan Paradise Live365 Radio Station a listen!
      http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 15, 2004
        At 6:28 PM -0800 3/11/04, Willow Polson wrote:
        >You guys have to see this -- why doesn't the West do something like this?
        >We can each do one or more of the little teeny devices along the border...

        Aren't they spectacular? Everyone is drooling over them!

        We do have service projects that are similar to this -- we've done
        (and are still doing) a series of "Rose Pouches" for Queens from
        other Kingdoms and from our own, along with some "traveling bags".
        (See this list's photo section.) They just tend to be projects in
        multiple little pieces, rather than one or two big ones!

        There is also, I believe, a Royal tablecloth in the official regalia
        that has the devices of our Shires and Principalities on it -- this
        was made something like 8 years ago, it was just finishing up when I
        joined, so someone else can probably say a lot more about it.

        Over the slightly longer term, we're still planning to produce
        "kneeling carpets" to be used before the Thrones, and those will be a
        group project with each volunteer doing a square of the design. As
        far as I know, it's still in the planning stages, but if you're
        interested in doing a rug section in long-armed cross stitch, you can
        e-mail either Sabrina at <sabrinadelabere@...> or Isela di
        Bari at <dcobb@...>.
        O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe
        | Chris Laning <claning@...>
        + Shire of Windy Meads - Davis, California
      • Willow Polson
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 15, 2004
          At 04:38 PM 3/15/2004 -0800, you wrote:
          >We do have service projects that are similar to this -- we've done
          >(and are still doing) a series of "Rose Pouches" for Queens from
          >other Kingdoms and from our own, along with some "traveling bags".
          >
          >There is also, I believe, a Royal tablecloth in the official regalia
          >that has the devices of our Shires and Principalities on it -- this
          >was made something like 8 years ago, it was just finishing up when I
          >joined, so someone else can probably say a lot more about it.

          Yes... I was one of the stitchers who did a device for the tablecloth. I
          know about the various things you've described here... I was specifically
          asking why we don't work on a set of coronation copes like the ones in the
          photos, not asking what general service projects are available to be done.
          Sorry for the confusion.

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 15, 2004
            At 05:14 PM 3/15/2004 -0800, you wrote:
            >Since the Calontir project took 3 years and was quite an
            >undertaking....maybe you could write a story for the Guild 's newsletter
            >about the making of this cope.

            Erm..... since I'm not in Calontir, don't know any of the people involved,
            and literally don't have 2 seconds to rub together right now, I am unable
            to write said article. Sorry about that.

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 30, 2004
              I was wondering if there were any plans to put any more recent issues
              of this newsletter up on the web.

              Barring that, What does a subscription cost -- and is it possible
              to get a Whole Set?

              thanks!
              Jerusha in Meridies
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 30, 2004
                "subscription" is a donation of $10-12 per year (we will be asking
                for $12 beginning in June, but if you'd like to be generous ahead of
                time...
                check payable to SCA Inc. - mail to Robin Berry, PO Box 1809, El
                Granada, CA 94018

                our webminister is busy getting various other projects up on the
                website and the articles and pdf transfer and webbing falls to me -
                so in my copious spare time... - Christian has given me a CD with the
                more recent stuff at 12th Night and I'm hoping to have some time
                after June Crown to work on webbing articles. The pdfs might get up
                sooner - we shall see.

                I have some, but not all back issues - let me know, off line, if you
                are interested in any in particular - again send me $12 and I'll mail
                you 5.

                Guild Minister

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 31, 2004
                  Just a note that I posted the feature articles and projects from
                  issues #21, #22, and #23 today in the Files section of the [WKneedle]
                  mailing list at Yahoo. That catches us up to the present, I think.
                  These are the issues featuring split stitch, appliqué and chain
                  stitch respectively. Thanks to Susan/Jerusha for calling it to my
                  attention!