Preparing pieces for Guild evaluation

  • Joan Hall
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3 12:59 PM
      I have a question, and didn't see the answer at our site. Do the evaluators prefer to have the piece totally finished, i.e. already made into a pouch, framed, the embroidered garment lined, etc. or do they really want to be able to see the back side of your work?

      Joan the Harper, Bard of Vinhold

      http://www.joan-the-harper.com

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3 2:39 PM
        we want the needlework nearly finished and it helps us to see the
        backs. The backs tell us a lot about how you do the needlework and
        assist us in determining what comments may be helpful to you. We look
        forward to seeing your work at March Crown.

        >I have a question, and didn't see the answer at our site. Do the
        >evaluators prefer to have the piece totally finished, i.e. already
        >made into a pouch, framed, the embroidered garment lined, etc. or do
        >they really want to be able to see the back side of your work?

        Joan the Harper, Bard of Vinhold

        "So simple, so beautiful, so easy - ask me how."

      • Krista Barber
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3 7:53 PM
          Joan,
          I've personally found that it really truly depends on the evaluator. They
          all like to see the embroidery to be done or nearly so, but whether or not
          it's made into a finished product really depends on who's looking at it. I
          turned in one piece that was completely done as a final product - one
          evaluator wished they could have seen the back of the work. I turned in
          another peice that was just the embroidery and not yet made into a final
          product - one evaluator wished they could have seen it in its final form!
          Sigh. I think a good midway point is to finish the embroidery and say what
          the final product will be (instead of just German counted thread satin
          stitch, say German counted thread satin stitch pouch), and if any of the
          evaluators express a desire to see the finished product, try and find them
          once you're done and show them.

          My two bezants,
          Aelia

          >From: Joan Hall <joan_the_harpist1119@...>
          >To: West Kingdom Needleworkers <wkneedle@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [WKneedle] Preparing pieces for Guild evaluation
          >Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 12:59:33 -0800 (PST)
          >
          >I have a question, and didn't see the answer at our site. Do the
          >evaluators prefer to have the piece totally finished, i.e. already made
          >into a pouch, framed, the embroidered garment lined, etc. or do they really
          >want to be able to see the back side of your work?
          >
          >Joan the Harper, Bard of Vinhold
          >

          >http://www.joan-the-harper.com

          Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software � optimizes dial-up to the max!
        • Susan Farmer
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4 7:49 AM
            As a waaay out of kindom-er (I'm in Meridies) tell me more about your
            Guild Evaluations. It sounds like a way of getting your work
            critiqued. Can anybody do this?

            Jerusha
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 4 11:59 AM
              >As a waaay out of kindom-er (I'm in Meridies) tell me more about your
              >Guild Evaluations. It sounds like a way of getting your work
              >critiqued. Can anybody do this?
              >
              >Jerusha

              Unfortunately we do not have an program for people who are out of
              Kingdom (West). Details of our program can be found on our website
              http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle.

            • lilinah@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 6 11:57 AM
                Sabrina de la Bere wrote:
                > >As a waaay out of kindom-er (I'm in Meridies) tell me more about your
                >>Guild Evaluations. It sounds like a way of getting your work
                >>critiqued. Can anybody do this?
                >>
                >>Jerusha
                >
                >Unfortunately we do not have an program for people who are out of
                >Kingdom (West). Details of our program can be found on our website
                >http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle.

                I am *in no way* suggesting that the West Kingdom Needleworkers Guild
                do this, but...

                There are a number of Guilds (not specifically needlework) in other
                Kingdoms that do allow out-of-kingdomers to send their pieces to the
                Guild for evaluation. One can even advance through some of those
                Guilds by fulfilling their requirements, sending them pieces with
                written information/documentation, as well as writing research
                papers. Naturally the stuff is mailed back.

                Just for the sake of passing on information,
                Anahita