folk sewing and embroidery

  • owlsmirror@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2001
      I am trying to find the right group to join. What I am interested in
      is peasant embroidery and peasant European costume...certainly
      medieval or renaissance...or any of the "fossil remains" that came
      into the early 20th century.

      I do counted cross stitch (I absolutely LOATHE most of the "cutsey"
      or "Kuntry" patterns), some needlepoint, and some miscellaneous
      stuff. I really do not know how to sew.

      What I would REALLY like to learn is how to incorporate needlework
      into a garment. How does one make a front panel for a dress?
      Embroidered sleeves? How does one go about figuring out how to do
      these things? Since I do not know how to sew, it makes it very
      difficult. Are there classes?

      I live in Oakland, California

      Sincerely, Paulina
      OH-- I just bought a dandy computer program "PCSTITCH5" that takes
      photos (.jpg files) and will convert them to counted cross stitch
      patterns. You can also draw your own patterns with it. My first
      pattern effort is a pattern for the Venus of Willendorf.