Re: [WKneedle] Oct Crown Meeting Topic: Apprenticeship Program

  • Sorcha
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2003
      This is "just" an idea.....

      original catagories... apprentice,
      artisian,journeyman, and master.

      Couldn't the new catagories by something like.....
      beginner (new to sewing techniques)
      artisian (learning newer techniques)
      journeyman (on a journey to learn more)
      Practitioner (as period Masters had Apprentices)

      YIS,
      Sorcha

      =====
      Lady Sorcha Fhionn inghean uiRuairc
      Barony of Darkwood-Salinas,CA
      Kingdom of the West
      http://www.angelfire.com/art2/soapsbypj
      http://www.angelfire.com/dragon2/sorchasdreams

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2003
        >I am a bit confused on the next part.
        >
        >To move on - you need to complete
        >> 3 items for each level you are "missing". If for example you did
        >> cross stitch and laid work for your 1st level - you could do Counted
        >> Thread, but not a cross stitch piece, and Surface Embroidery, but not
        >> laid work for another level. If you did half a level - you need to
        >> still do 2 items in the same category more to complete that level. If
        >> you have questions email me directly.

        Thanks for the input - this applies only to the people who were in
        the initial apprenticeship program and that then changed into our
        current program. For that program you did 2 items for each level and
        they could be different "categories". So for one level you might do
        XS and laid work and then do Blackwork and Beadwork for the 2nd
        level. Thus, some people have truly different areas for each level.
        So the question is then for those people, how to move forward?

        For example, if person A did only one level - XS and Laidwork.
        To do the next level, they could now do Counted: 2 Voided and 1
        Blackwork -- they need to avoid repeating what they did prior.
        For their 3rd level, they could now do Surface: 1 basic, 1 beadwork,
        1 raised work; avoiding laid work.
        For their 4th level, they could choose any of the 4 that they have
        not yet done. For most people in the current program, at this point
        they would only have 3 areas to choose from having completed 3 (of 6)
        categories.

        For most this formula will work. If you have a specific question or
        want help in working out what areas you still need to cover, please
        contact me directly.

        I will bring at least one copy of the present status report on the
        program with me to October Crown. It will be in the "in" basket for
        items to be reviewed for the program.

        Curious as to how to join in the program - easy -- go to the website
        and look at the various categories and rules (yes eventually we will
        have examples of each type of needlework on the site, but for
        now...). They are laid out in the Apprenticeship section. Anyone in
        the West Kingdom (sorry we don't have the facilities to assist people
        out of Kingdom) is welcome to come on the journey of self exploration
        of historic needlework. If you want some specific guidance on the
        program or on a project - come to the Mentors Corner (post Invocation
        to 2 pm in the Guild pavilion at any Crown event) or email me
        directly.

        "So simple, so beautiful, so easy - ask me how."