Smocking Workshop - Nov 9, 2003 - San Francisco

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10 12:10 PM
      Greetings - Apologies to those who get this more than once and if you
      are not near the San Francisco Bay Area.

      Also, please feel free to share this information with other lists or
      people who might be interested.

      When: November 9, 2003 Sunday
      9:30 am to about 4 pm

      Where: San Francisco City College Police Community Room (280/Ocean/Geneva exit)
      details will be emailed to those who sign-up

      Topics to be Covered:
      (1) We will begin doing the preparation work on the fabric by hand.
      While using a pleating machine would be easier, it is important to
      understand how the fabric is manipulated.
      (2) Survey of portraits, woodcuts and any other pre-1600 materials on
      the subject. Most are late 1400s and first half of the 1500's from
      Germany and Italy. Discussion of what is being shown and what
      underlying stitching probably is being used. Some other 2ndary
      sources will also be used to shed light on the subject. We will also
      discuss the various theories on whether what the portraits show is
      smocking or some other stitching variation.
      (3) Basic Smocking Stitches - most probably outline, stem, wheat,
      cable, wave and trellis. Time permitting we will also cover honeycomb
      and van dyke. Besides the mechanics of the stitching, we will also
      discuss uses and effect for these stitches.
      (4) Use of additional Embroidery stitches such as chain,fly and and
      french knots.
      (5) Back smocking - not just for stabilizing, but also for creating effects.
      (6) A brief discussion of finishing projects with smocking.
      (7) A brief discussion of the mechanics of making a camica or chemise
      with smocking.

      Cost: approximately $10 - 12 for the handout and materials
      Please - due to the extensive copying I plan to do, if you sign-up
      for the class and do not show, you still will owe me for the handout.
      Handout will include B&W of some of the portraits and woodcuts, list
      of all sources, and stitch diagrams.

      Materials:
      We will be using a fine Indian cotton for the class of a weight
      suitable for a chemise. The smocking will be done with cotton floss.

      Bring:
      Your lunch and drinks - there is a fridge we can use and no place to
      go for lunch.
      Bring extra lighting or magnification if you usually need it to sew.
      Needlework scissors.
      5 different colors of cotton or poly/cotton regular sewing thread - not white.
      Fine sewing needles
      Ruler - at least 6"
      Blue - fine point water soluble marking pen
      Any materials or books you'd like to share.

      Class limit 20.