Tent stitch

  • Heather
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2003
      I have come across two ways of doing what seems to be tent stitch,
      and I would like to know which is correct. There is one style that
      seems to finish with a diagonal stitch on the reverse, and one with
      a vertical stitch on the reverse. Both are a diagonal stitch on the
      front (hopefully this is clear).
      Any help would be appricated, thank you.

      Rhianwen
    • Jane of Stockton
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2003
        At 04:54 AM 3/07/2003 +0000, Heather wrote:
        >I have come across two ways of doing what seems to be tent stitch,
        >and I would like to know which is correct. There is one style that
        >seems to finish with a diagonal stitch on the reverse, and one with
        >a vertical stitch on the reverse. Both are a diagonal stitch on the
        >front (hopefully this is clear).
        >Any help would be appricated, thank you.
        >
        >Rhianwen

        Rhianwen,

        What you are describing are two stitches, one commonly referred to as half
        cross stitch and the other tent stitch.

        http://www.flowerstorm.net/disa/Crafts/stitch-tent.html

        Tent stitch is a stronger stitch and is what is used most in period. It is
        preferable because the method of doing the stitch stops the threads from
        slipping under the weave of the base fabric.

        Cheers,
        Jane