Re: [WKneedle] tent stitch question

  • Erin Moody
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2003
      Hi Bronwen. I just spent the last year working on a project (kingdom pouch) that was completely covered in tent stitch.

      Although you could work in-hand, the ground fabric will eventually pull/slant to one side. I recommend using a hoop or frame. I prefer a good wooden hoop or wood frame.

      Thread choice would depend upon style and period of the project. Thread is generally similar in size/width to the ground fabric. I recommend testing a piece with a thread that contrasts in color to the ground fabric and play with the threads. See which choice gives you the best coverage (no ground fabric showing through). I prefer a flat or slightly twisted silk stitched on an even weave linen.

      jcarlynzimmer <jcarlynzimmer@...> wrote:
      Hi,
      I am very new to the needleworker's guild, I sew quite a bit, with my
      machine, clothing and quilting. I recently completed my first hand
      quilted project though and have fallen in love with hand stitching. I
      am looking to go through each item in every category, but slowly so
      that I really get to earn what I like and what I need to learn to
      like.

      I am very interested in any advice you can give me about the tent
      stitch. Your favorite website with good step by step pictures. Also
      could someone explain blocking to me? Is it ok to use an embroidery
      hoop or do I need something different? Can I do it freehand in my
      lap? How about those square PVC deals? Does tent stitching need to
      be done with a specific yarn/floss/thread? And finally are there
      ever guild educational meetings in the Sacramento area between
      Kingdom events?

      I look forward to your answers here and to meeting you all at an
      event someday!

      Bronwen Crow
      Lightning Cove

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your e-mail address, or change your options on the [WKneedle] list, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/mygroups and follow the directions. If you have problems doing this, please e-mail the Guild Deputy, Christian de Holacombe, at <claning@...>. The WK Needleworkers Guild Website is at http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle.