Opus Anglicanum Up Close

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2003
      This was posted on another list. The pictures of this cope are in
      wonderful detail.

      http://rubens.anu.edu.au/new/england/london/museums/victoria_and_albert/textiles/western_mediaeval/
    • Jane Stockton
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 24, 2004
        Hi Everyone,

        I have just posted links to about a dozen new (well, new to me!) examples
        of extant embroideries that I have found in various places over the last
        couple of weeks. I have posted them on the blog because some of the links
        are very long and break up in email.

        My blog: http://laren.blogspot.com/

        Here is a list of the items (without links):

        * Embroidered English Shirt c.1600-1620 (I've never seen this one before,
        image is small)
        * Italian Pillow or Bag 16thC - Holbein Stitch
        * Italian Pillow Case, 16th C - blackwork
        * Italian Border Fragment, 16th C
        * Polychrome English Smock, 16th C
        * Embroidered Venetian Needlecase, 16th C
        * Embroidered Portrait of Elizabeth I, 16th C
        * A Portrait with Embroidered Cover, 16th C
        * Sweetbag, 16th C

        From the V and A:
        * T.17-1957 - sweetbag (16th C English)
        * T.92-1969 - Icon Panel (14th C Venice)
        * T.141-1969 - altar frontal (16th C Spain)
        * 673-1864 - Clare Chasuble (13th C English)
        * 225-1893 - sleeve - beading and couching - (16th C English)

        YIS,

        Jane