Fwd: OT: You may be really easy to locate…

  • Amy Bodine
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2003
      I think at least some people would want to know about this. I tried it, and
      unfortunately it works, to a degree....

      The way it works is that if it finds your number listed on a website
      somewhere, it will print that, but if it can't find it on any website, THEN
      it will pull up your address & directions.

      So I highly recommend going to Google & removing yourself from their
      listing!

      Amy

      >Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 05:18:09 -0000

      I don't like this�

      If you go to www.google.com and type in your telephone number it will
      actually pull up directions to your house - but there is a way to have
      your number removed! Many people are unaware of this danger.
      Go to www.google.com then type in your phone number (separated by
      hyphens, including area code, example 000-000-0000) and click on
      Google
      Search. If your phone number is listed it will show your name and
      address and give you two map options. Yahoo and MapQuest. See how
      accurate the map is to your home. VERY SCARY!
      Any person wishing to discover the physical location of a phone
      number,
      be it a home or business address, could use this feature to locate a
      physical street address, and receive directions on how to get there
      from
      anywhere in the country. In the age of the internet communication we
      all know the dangers of this - for adults and CHILDREN!

      Google has made available an option that will allow anyone to REMOVE
      their telephone number from the database that is linked to the mapping
      feature.
      You will first need to check if your number is listed in this manner
      by
      attempting a search-entering your full telephone number separated by
      dashes (e.g. 555-555-5555). If the number appears in the mapping
      database, an icon resembling a telephone will appear next to the first
      or second entry on the results page. Clicking on this icon will take
      you to a page containing a description of the service, and a link to
      request your number be removed from the database.
      So far unlisted numbers and cell phone numbers, do not show up.