Re: Apprenticeship Program - Evaluation Form

  • ettrick95932 <ettrick@citlink.net>
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 18, 2002
      --- In WKneedle@yahoogroups.com, Sabrina de la Bere
      <SabrinadelaBere@c...> wrote:
      > > first - the Apprenticeship Evaluation Form.
      > >

      > > Added minimum size of 9 square inches. The Guild has
      unofficially had this requirement for quite awhile; certainly since I
      went through the program. This merely formalizes this requirement.
      This can be met by a piece 3x3" or 1x9".

      Our needlework group discussed this requirement at length. None of
      us had ever heard of it. Our concern is that an object that is 3x3
      or 1x9 is difficult to make into something you would use as a gift.
      (Our needleworkers have been using a lot of their work as gifts). A
      1x9 bookmark seems too long and a 3x3 pin cushion is big. It seems
      to me also that a lot of the needlework kits supplied by the guild
      are smaller than this limit.

      To be nitpicking on the new evaluation form, quilting was changed
      to stuffed quilting. Stuffed quilting is called trapunto, the next
      item on the list. Something that is quilted is "sandwiched".

      We also have a concern with the quality of needlework on the tokins
      sent to our members. One used crochet thread to stitch the needle on
      the velvet bag; this does not seem appropriate.

      In Service,
      Magge
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 19, 2002
        At 8:05 PM +0000 12/18/02, ettrick95932 <ettrick@...> wrote:
        >--- In WKneedle@yahoogroups.com, Sabrina de la Bere
        ><SabrinadelaBere@c...> wrote:
        >> > first - the Apprenticeship Evaluation Form.
        >> >

        >> > Added minimum size of 9 square inches. The Guild has
        >unofficially had this requirement for quite awhile; certainly since I
        >went through the program. This merely formalizes this requirement.
        >This can be met by a piece 3x3" or 1x9".
        >
        > Our needlework group discussed this requirement at length. None of
        >us had ever heard of it.

        I can confirm that it was in effect when I first started the program
        -- admittedly, that was quite a while ago. Actually, it used to be
        expected that people would submit, not just a little sampler square
        of a stitch technique, but something like a purse or a chair cushion
        on which they had done the embroidery, which was usually bigger than
        3x3. (Although there were also fewer people in the guild then, and
        they tended to have more past experience outside the guild.)

        >Our concern is that an object that is 3x3
        >or 1x9 is difficult to make into something you would use as a gift.
        >(Our needleworkers have been using a lot of their work as gifts). A
        >1x9 bookmark seems too long and a 3x3 pin cushion is big. It seems
        >to me also that a lot of the needlework kits supplied by the guild
        >are smaller than this limit.

        True. But we don't really encourage using the guild kits as
        evaluation pieces, anyway. That's not primarily what they're for --
        they're mostly intended as an easy introduction to a technique that
        may be new to you, and secondarily, they are things that will be very
        welcome in the Queen's Treasure Chest. (Actually, the fact that the
        Treasure Chest always needs more items is the main reason the kit
        program got started in the first place -- though it's evolved into
        more of a teaching thing with time.)

        If the projects you would like to make are things with less than 9
        square inches of embroidery, and you would like to use them as
        evaluation pieces, just make two of them (or however many are needed
        to make that amount). If together they total enough square inches,
        they can be evaluated together as one "item."

        >To be nitpicking on the new evaluation form, quilting was changed
        >to stuffed quilting. Stuffed quilting is called trapunto, the next
        >item on the list. Something that is quilted is "sandwiched".

        Well, actually, there is regular quilting, which has a flat layer of
        batting in the middle; there is trapunto, which is mostly done with
        channels and cord and doesn't really _need_ to have any other filler;
        and there is stuffed quilting, where the design is outlined with
        stitches, and then only certain parts of it are stuffed with batting
        after stitching, through holes in the back or by other means (as in
        the Guicciardini or Tristan quilt from around 1300). Of course these
        techniques can be, and sometimes are, combined in the same piece.

        >We also have a concern with the quality of needlework on the tokins
        >sent to our members. One used crochet thread to stitch the needle on
        >the velvet bag; this does not seem appropriate.

        We always welcome volunteers to make more tokens! We are very
        appreciative of the effort that goes into making them, and we are
        grateful that people take the time to do them. Also, once you have
        earned a token, you can always make your own -- like many other SCA
        awards, while there's an "official" token that you may be given, you
        are welcome to use another version of the same thing if you like.

        I hope this helps answer your questions --
        O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe
        | Chris Laning <claning@...>
        + Shire of Windy Meads - Davis, California
      • Carol Newby
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 20, 2002
          While I agree with Christian's definitions of the various
          forms of quilting techniques, I am also a bit concerned
          with the change of "quilting" to "stuffed quilting" on the
          evaluation form. In our modern world, the term trapunto
          tends to be defined as simply 'raised quilting', including
          both corded and stuffed quilting. Perhaps the solution
          isn't to replace 'quilting' with 'stuffed quilting' but to
          replace 'trapunto' with 'raised quilting' or 'corded/
          stuffed quilting'.

          Elspeth

          =====
          Elspeth the Semstress of Dunkeld, OP