Fw: [sca-west] greeting card virus

  • Amy Bodine
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2002
      heads up -- this looks legit....

      Amy

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Ken Mayer
      To: sca-west@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 1:17 PM
      Subject: Re: [sca-west] greeting card virus

      At 06:46 PM 11/26/2002 +0000, you wrote:

      >My company just posted a warning about a greeting card virus, and
      >cautioned us all to simply delete emails about greeting cards - do
      >not open the email or the embedded link.
      >
      >The reason I decided to pass this along is I just received this kind
      >of email from someone on this list. Be careful, everyone!

      It's a rather insidious one. Details on it can be gotten from:

      http://www.techtv.com/news/security/story/0,24195,3406838,00.html

      If you get this one, follow the instructions in the story above. It looks
      harmless, but somewhere down the road, Porn advertisements will start
      popping up on your computer ...

      The big thing about greeting cards is if they require you to download and
      install a special viewer, don't do it. If they are from reliable sources
      they're probably ok. What tipped me off this morning was that the person I
      got the message from is not someone who would normally send me a greeting
      card (and while I like the person, it kind of threw me a bit ...).

      Hirsch

      "Papoon for President. You know his platform: 6 inches off the ground, so
      no one falls off. The guaranteed annual year. One organism, one vote! One
      man, one channel! Papoon! Papoon for President! There is no one to blame!
      You know he's not insane! (Not Insane!)"-- The Firesign Theatre, Papoon for
      President
      ====
      Ken Mayer/Hirsch von Henford -
      ken@... (or) hirsch@...
      Carolyn J. Eaton/Aldith Angharad St. George -
      cj@... (or) aldith@...
      http://www.goldenstag.net
      Instant Messaging IDs: AIM: BaronHvH; ICQ: 137092302; Yahoo (Y!): hirschv

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor