Workshop Class - Make a BlackworkCoif - May 18, 2003

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2002
      I am pleased to announce and am now taking signups for our Blackwork
      Coif class. Linn Skinner has graciously agreed to return and do a
      wonderful hands on blackwork coif class. The date is May 18, 2003 -
      Sunday and will be from 9:30 am - 4:30 pm.

      In the class, the participants will learn the different techniques
      and stitches which were used in making a particular period coif
      including free embroidery and counted thread. The plan is to do a
      reproduction of a blackwork coif in the V&A which has curvilinear
      tendrils, leaves, flowers, and bugs. We hope to post a picture in
      the files shortly.

      In advance of the class, participants will be given a tracing of the
      piece, 45 count linen, muslin backing, transfer paper and pre-work
      instructions. Participants will do the design transfer and fabric
      mounting (on scroll or slate frame) in advance. In addition, in some
      areas the original threads are missing so suggested pattern fills
      will be provided. For those who wish to make the coif to fit their
      head, permission and instructions will be given to enlarge the
      pattern.

      Class time includes one-hour lunch break/bring your bag lunch or join
      in the provided deli lunch for $5.

      Only open to 12 students - advance registration required.

      You will need a working understanding of basic blackwork techniques.
      If you have questions, contact Sabrina de la Bere
      <sabrinadelabere@...>

      We are fortunate to have return as our teacher Linn Skinner, who is
      an embroideress and embroidery historian who teaches and exhibits in
      England as well as in the United States. First taught to embroider by
      her grandmothers and mother, she continued her study of classic
      embroidery techniques and embroidery research in England. Linn has
      studied Blackwork, Goldwork, Jacobean embroidery and Silk Shading at
      the Royal School of Needlework, Hampton Court and advanced her skills
      in workshops with master embroiderers in England and the U.S. Linn is
      a founding member of The New Elizabethans, an international group of
      embroiderers formed in 1998 to further the development of classic
      hand embroidery. Her work was included in the New Elizabethians'
      first exhibit "The Broiderer's Garden," November 1999 at the Museum
      of Garden History, London and she was featured in a BBC4 Radio
      program which focused on current embroidery trends and the exhibit.
      Linn takes her inspiration from the 16th and 17th centuries and
      interprets historic embroidery techniques and designs aesthetics in a
      new and refreshing way! For more information on Linn and to see her
      web-magazine visit her website: http://www.skinnersisters.com/

      Cost: $100 for this special class which is greatly discounted for us.
      Check must accompany your reservation for class space. Class space
      will be on a first come, first served basis, but we must have a
      minimum 7 attendees to have the class. Check will not be refundable
      after March 15th unless the class is totally cancelled. If class is
      cancelled, a materials cost may be assessed. Make checks payable to
      Linn Skinner and send to our Guild Minister, Sabrina de la Bere, PO
      Box 1809, El Granada, CA 94018, who is autocrating this class.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 15, 2003
        Reminder that the deadline is fast approaching for this class. A
        couple slots remain. If you haven't sent me your money yet, remember
        that your check holds your place in class. This special class is only
        being offered to our group at this time, so please take advantage of
        it. - Sabrina

        <http://www.skinnersisters.com/>http://www.skinnersisters.com/

        Cost: $100 for this special class which is greatly discounted for us.
        Check must accompany your reservation for class space. Class space
        will be on a first come, first served basis, but we must have a
        minimum 7 attendees to have the class. Check will not be refundable
        after March 15th unless the class is totally cancelled. If class is
        cancelled by attendee, a materials cost may be assessed. Make checks