Mists Princess's Gift Chest - Calling all Artisans

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 22, 2002
      Their Highnesses of the Mists are traveling the far corners of their
      Principality and are traveling to visit their Royal Relatives in
      other Principalities and Kingdoms. On these travels They wish to
      present gifts from the their hands of their populace. With their
      immediate travels pending a special collection box will be at this
      weekend's A&S - in the sunshade next to the Needleworkers Guild
      Pavilion. Thank-you in advance for your attention and assistance in
      spreading the word (including other lists).

      ----------------- FORMAL ANNOUNCEMENT----------------------
      If you have created **anything** in a period style that you are
      willing to have given away by Royalty and hence that will be
      appreciated by Royalty and other grateful recipients, please donate
      them to the Mists Royal Gift Chest.

      These items need not be large or complicated in nature. In fact,
      since they will travel far and wide, small is good. Nor do these
      items have to be of "Laurel" quality, but should be nicely done items
      which show off your skill. Some of the nicest items I have seen were
      done by beginning artisans who lovingly undertook to create a few
      items in the space of an afternoon or were done as a Page School
      activity.

      Some items which would be appropriate are listed below, but this list
      should not be taken as exhaustive:
      hand made soap
      hand made candles or hand decorated candles
      napkins with a smallish medieval design embroidered on them
      small (4"x6") presentation bags and larger (12"x18") presentation bags
      placemats
      covered notebooks
      jewelry
      bookmarks
      pin cushions
      sachets
      tools of various sorts - awl, needlecase, etc.
      handkerchief
      small boxes
      hand made beads
      hand made cords
      pouches
      badges (perhaps embroidered with an item relating to the Mists)
      decorated items of leather

      Please do not donate items of food or alcohol without talking with me
      first as there are certain issues to be considered including
      restrictions on items and spoilage.

      Please DO attach a label the item with your name and area, as Royalty
      like to know to whom they should be indebted and whose work they are
      admiring.

      Items may be brought to any Mists Principality event for donation or
      sent directly to me -- Sabrina de la Bere (Robin Berry) PO Box 1809,
      El Granada, CA 94018. A collection chest will be located at the
      Mists A&S pavilion at Mists Coronet. I look forward to seeing the
      wonderful work of the artisans of our region as we fill the coffers
      of the Mists.

      If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me
      sabrinadelabere@....

      In Service,

      Sabrina de la Bere, Baroness
      Principality of the Mists
      Kingdom of the West
    • Anne of Bradford
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 22, 2002
        Hi there! I'm starting to experiment, based upon some conversations and
        watching Kira surrupticiously across the room during Linn Skinner's Goldwork
        class year. I was unable to attend the class she gave, I believe at the
        last Collegium.

        Any suggestions? Helpful hints? Sources for gilded leather strips? I've
        found some sueded leather that can be cut into strips, but it leaves little
        leather bits all over the place. The gilded leather that's fabric weight
        and sold up here is expensive and extremely thin. The gilt leather lacing
        looks like it's made up of two strips of pressed leather glued together,
        from El Cheapo Leatherworks, but is the best bet so far.

        I'm having to use a fine leather needle to punch sideways through the
        lacing, and then a regular needle to sew it down. The lacing is stiff, and
        doesn't like to do corners without buckling. Any suggestions there?

        How do I make tight corners? It is suggested or allowed I can partially
        snip the strip to allow for mitered corners of a sort? Or should I snip it
        entirely? How about be made to suffer and try to fold the entirely
        uncooperative lacing?

        Are there any books suggested for reference? How about web pages (more
        practical)?

        Thanks for all the help!

        - Anne of Bradford, curious to the end
      • Heather Rose Jones
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 23, 2002
          At 10:41 PM -0800 7/22/02, Anne of Bradford wrote:
          >Hi there! I'm starting to experiment, based upon some conversations and
          >watching Kira surrupticiously across the room during Linn Skinner's Goldwork
          >class year. I was unable to attend the class she gave, I believe at the
          >last Collegium.
          >
          >Any suggestions? Helpful hints? Sources for gilded leather strips? I've
          >found some sueded leather that can be cut into strips, but it leaves little
          >leather bits all over the place. The gilded leather that's fabric weight
          >and sold up here is expensive and extremely thin. The gilt leather lacing
          >looks like it's made up of two strips of pressed leather glued together,
          >from El Cheapo Leatherworks, but is the best bet so far.

          The leather for this _can_ be extremely thin and work well --
          lacing-weight strikes me as a bit too heavy. There are
          leather-working tools designed for cutting even strips of adjustable
          width, although I don't know how well they would work with relatively
          soft leather. maybe just a straightedge and a razor blade would do
          the trick.

          >I'm having to use a fine leather needle to punch sideways through the
          >lacing, and then a regular needle to sew it down. The lacing is stiff, and
          >doesn't like to do corners without buckling. Any suggestions there?

          The medieval examples I've seen of this type of work just couch over
          the leather strip, I don't think I've seen _any_ where you were
          sewing _through_ the leather. The technique is exactly the same as
          that used elsewhere in Europe where you are couching over a cord or
          thread at the edge of the applique. I think the secret to the
          corners is to have a thin enough leather that a couple stitches at
          the corner will do the trick.

          >How do I make tight corners? It is suggested or allowed I can partially
          >snip the strip to allow for mitered corners of a sort? Or should I snip it
          >entirely? How about be made to suffer and try to fold the entirely
          >uncooperative lacing?

          Those solutions strongly suggest to me that the leather you're using
          is too thick and stiff.

          Tangwystyl
          --
          *****
          Heather Rose Jones
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 23, 2002
            Thanks for the replies, Isela and Tangwystle. I feel better now. Do you
            remember any of the references that Kira used? I looked at my favorite used
            book store, and found a picture of a German funeral pall (black, worked in
            pieces and then sewn together) in a general applique book. The contrast was
            bad enough that I couldn't justify buying the book for that one picture.
            I've been known to do that in the past. Any suggestions?

            From the sounds of it, the light gilded leather will be what I'll move
            forward with. I've got a practice piece of silver gilt to play with. The
            whole hides up here are $80, so maybe if someone else wants to go in 1/2's
            on one down there the price will be better. Any takers?

            More technique bits: The strips should be thin - 1/8" ok? 3/16" better?
            I'll probably go with the classic couching as suggested by Tangwystle - much
            easier and less likely to tear the leather.

            Design thoughts: The palmate pattern (which has more curves than corners)
            that I'm following is off the stags and centaurs dalmatica (early 13th c)
            that's in the Schuette Christiansen Pictorial History of Embroidery, plates
            91-93. It's silk on silk rather than wool on wool(ok - I lined it with more
            hedonistic silk, but original linen seemed so _rough_ after the smooth
            silk), and the applique will take much less of a lifetime than doing the
            entire thing in underside couching like the original! Kylson's already
            drawn up the animal bits, so that's next. I'm planning on underside
            couching the details into the animals. I can't tell if the original had
            embroidery on the sleeve and hem bands, but if I decide that I'm absolutely
            crazy, I might reverse the ground fabric onto the bands in a matching
            palmate pattern. Any commentary or suggestions there?

            Thanks again for the help!

            - Anne
          • Heather Rose Jones
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 24, 2002
              At 7:54 PM -0800 7/23/02, Anne of Bradford wrote:
              >Thanks for the replies, Isela and Tangwystle. I feel better now. Do you
              >remember any of the references that Kira used? I looked at my favorite used
              >book store, and found a picture of a German funeral pall (black, worked in
              >pieces and then sewn together) in a general applique book. The contrast was
              >bad enough that I couldn't justify buying the book for that one picture.
              >I've been known to do that in the past. Any suggestions?

              I'm guessing that that's the same item that there are several
              pictures of in Marie Schuette's "Gestickte Bildteppiche des
              Mittelalters", in which case I can get you copies at some unspecified
              time in the near future (contact me off-list for details). I don't
              know what Kira's references were, since I'm working from my own
              knowledge on this subject rather than her class, but the best known
              examples of this method are several large Swedish pieces with
              stylized beasts and foliate circular frames. There's a detail
              picture of one (which give you a very mistaken idea of the scale) in
              Kay Staniland's "Medieval Embroiderers" book, which also has a photo
              of another German piece in the style. If you want to spend money for
              a book and get more details of the Swedish pieces, get "Medeltida
              Vavnader och Broderier i Sverige" which those dangerous "Pastiche"
              people from An Tir have available (for only $120 when I bought it).

              >More technique bits: The strips should be thin - 1/8" ok? 3/16" better?

              Certainly no wider than 1/8" -- narrower if you can cut it reliably
              that small, but 1/8" should probably do for most purposes.

              Tangwystyl
              --
              *****
              Heather Rose Jones
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 26, 2002
                At 10:41 PM 7/22/2002 -0800, Anne of Bradford wrote:
                >Hi there! I'm starting to experiment, based upon some conversations and
                >watching Kira surrupticiously across the room during Linn Skinner's Goldwork
                >class year. I was unable to attend the class she gave, I believe at the
                >last Collegium.

                Hi, Anne - Aldith here!
                I'll be happy to forward this to Kira, if you'd like. I can answer a
                couple of questions immediately but for the details (and sources) she's
                your best bet.

                >Any suggestions? Helpful hints? Sources for gilded leather strips? I've
                >found some sueded leather that can be cut into strips, but it leaves little
                >leather bits all over the place. The gilded leather that's fabric weight
                >and sold up here is expensive and extremely thin.

                Kira's using a fairly thin & supple leather, and she's cutting it into very
                narrow strips - a little less than 1/4" inch it looks like, then she
                couches it, just like you would do with regular gold thread. You don't
                stitch *through* the leather. Basically, this technique appears to be a
                *subsitiute* for couching with "Cyprus" gold.

                >How do I make tight corners? It is suggested or allowed I can partially
                >snip the strip to allow for mitered corners of a sort? Or should I snip it
                >entirely? How about be made to suffer and try to fold the entirely
                >uncooperative lacing?

                If you are using the supple stuff cut into strips, it *will* curve. I
                think Kira cuts at sharp curves -- she really needs to answer this one.

                >Are there any books suggested for reference? How about web pages (more
                >practical)?

                I think Kira figured this out on her own, based on research. You've got
                Schuette and Christensen, also Staniland, and both of these show that
                technique. Again, Kira will know more.

                --Aldith
                "I'm looking over, a three leaf clover, that I overlooked be-three ..." --
                Bugs Bunny
                ====
                Ken Mayer/Hirsch von Henford -
                ken@... (or) hirsch@...
                Carolyn J. Eaton/Aldith Angharad St. George -
                cj@... (or) aldith@...
                http://www.goldenstag.net
                Pedicentur quos non placet ludus

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
[...]

                  necklaces or bracelets of wire, beads, lace
                  fibulas

[...]

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=228862.2128520.3581629.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705063630:HM/A=1155069/R=0/*http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/990-1736-1039-302>

                  and follow the directions. If you have problems doing this, please
                  e-mail the Guild Deputy, Christian de Holacombe, at
                  <claning@...>. The WK Needleworkers Guild Website is at
                  <http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle.>http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle.

                  Sabrina de la Bere, Baroness
                  Kingdom of the West