Re: [WKneedle] Bobbin Lace

  • Debra LaVergne
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2013
      The Lace Museum in Sunnyvale does have a website, and a busy class
      schedule:

      http://www.thelacemuseum.org/

      Ella du Vergne
    • Shere'e
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2013
        Please, please, please do NOT get the "teach yourself bobbin lace" kit from
        Lacis. It is commonly known by lacemakers as the "Kit from Hell" The
        bobbins are good and most of the kit is ok but the book is HORRID! You
        would be better off getting thier bobbins and a better quality pillow (the
        kit one is a really cheap piece of craft foam) and "Lessons in Bobbin
        Lacemaking" by Doris Southard.

        Miranda
        On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Mikki Michele Griffin
        <motherchaos@...>wrote:

        > Hi Tawny :)
        >
        > I second Duchess Lorraine's suggestion of Lacis. Like she pointed out, I
        > am
        > all the way up in Oertha (Alaska) and that means that it is even more
        > difficult for me to get bobbin lace supplies. http://www.lacis.com/ has
        > been a life saver :)

      • tongarii
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2013
          The Lace Museum in Sunnyvale, CA has supplies. They do have classes that you can take ask for Pat as she is the most experienced lace maker.

          Mistress Margery could you send me the link for the lacemakers group. I am a member of the bobbin lace group but their focus is very modern.

          Jocelyn of Rowenwood
          Guild Minister

          --- In WKneedle@yahoogroups.com, Mikki Michele Griffin <motherchaos@...> wrote:

          > Hi Tawny :)
          >
          > I second Duchess Lorraine's suggestion of Lacis. Like she pointed out, I am
          > all the way up in Oertha (Alaska) and that means that it is even more
          > difficult for me to get bobbin lace supplies. http://www.lacis.com/ has
          > been a life saver :)
          >
          > I wish I was a lot closer to help teach, but I can point you in the
          > direction of our Yahoo list and suggest you do a shout out there to see who
          > is close. I just sent you an invite to the WK_Lacemakers list, so watch for
          > it :). I can also suggest some good books to get you started :)
          >
          > Please feel free to ask me anything.I can't promise I have all the answers,
          > but I can at least help find them.
          >

          > Margery
          >
          > ,_._,___

        • Delangelia
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 3, 2013
            Tawny,
            I can get to lacis on my lunch hour, but only for one more week. If you want me to email you pictures of any Lacis stuff before you order, let me know.
            Katherine de Langelei

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jul 1, 2013, at 11:15 PM, "Tawny" <younicorn@...> wrote:

            > Greetings
            >
            > I'm not sure if this is a good place to ask but I'm wanting to learn to make bobbin lace.
            >
            > What is a good source for supplies?
            >
            > Any advice would be appreciated.
            >
            > humbly
            > Goodwife Tawny

          • Cheryl
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
              I would like to learn how to make bobbin lace as well. Anyone know of any classes closer than Lacis? I am in Vallejo.

              Cheryl

              Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone
            • Tammy Warren
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
                I live near Seoul, Korea.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
                  Soel would be a bit to far for me to commute to. Sorry.

                  Cheryl

                  Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone
                • Cynthia Konow Brownell
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 5, 2013
                    Hi...I would also point you to the IOLI website, specifically the IOLILace
                    list. They have a ton of information as well as resources, guilds etc.
                    It's the big US lace guild....

                    Happy hunting,
                    Thea

                    --
                    "I cannot stop the birds of sorrow from flying over me, but I can prevent
                    them from making a nest in my hair." -anonymous