Re: [WKneedle] Bobbin Lace

  • Debra LaVergne
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2013
      The Lace Museum in Sunnyvale does have a website, and a busy class
      schedule:

      http://www.thelacemuseum.org/

      Ella du Vergne
    • Mikki Michele Griffin
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2013
        Hi Tawny :)

        I second Duchess Lorraine's suggestion of Lacis. Like she pointed out, I am
        all the way up in Oertha (Alaska) and that means that it is even more
        difficult for me to get bobbin lace supplies. http://www.lacis.com/ has
        been a life saver :)

        I wish I was a lot closer to help teach, but I can point you in the
        direction of our Yahoo list and suggest you do a shout out there to see who
        is close. I just sent you an invite to the WK_Lacemakers list, so watch for
        it :). I can also suggest some good books to get you started :)

        Please feel free to ask me anything.I can't promise I have all the answers,
        but I can at least help find them.

        Margery

        ,_._,___

      • Shere'e
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2013
          Please, please, please do NOT get the "teach yourself bobbin lace" kit from
          Lacis. It is commonly known by lacemakers as the "Kit from Hell" The
          bobbins are good and most of the kit is ok but the book is HORRID! You
          would be better off getting thier bobbins and a better quality pillow (the
          kit one is a really cheap piece of craft foam) and "Lessons in Bobbin
          Lacemaking" by Doris Southard.

          Miranda
          On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Mikki Michele Griffin
          <motherchaos@...>wrote:

          > Hi Tawny :)
          >
          > I second Duchess Lorraine's suggestion of Lacis. Like she pointed out, I
          > am
          > all the way up in Oertha (Alaska) and that means that it is even more
          > difficult for me to get bobbin lace supplies. http://www.lacis.com/ has
          > been a life saver :)

        • Tammy Warren
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2013
            Greetings

            Thank you for the invites and information.
            I'm currently teaching English in South Korea. That means I'm in the
            Stronghold of Warrior's Gate in the Palatine Barony of the Far West.
            Getting supplies here may be even harder than in Alaska.

            I attended a lace making class about five years ago when I lived in Moscow
            Idaho.
            I knew a friend in England that made bobbin lace and have found it very
            interesting.
            It has been something I've been wanting to do more of.
            I consider myself a good seamstress and I can do the basics of many kinds
            of needle works.

            humbly
            Goodwife Tawny
            SKA - Thomasina de Buckley
            MKA - Tammy Warren

          • tongarii
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2013
              The Lace Museum in Sunnyvale, CA has supplies. They do have classes that you can take ask for Pat as she is the most experienced lace maker.

              Mistress Margery could you send me the link for the lacemakers group. I am a member of the bobbin lace group but their focus is very modern.

              Jocelyn of Rowenwood
              Guild Minister

              --- In WKneedle@yahoogroups.com, Mikki Michele Griffin <motherchaos@...> wrote:

              > Hi Tawny :)
              >
              > I second Duchess Lorraine's suggestion of Lacis. Like she pointed out, I am
              > all the way up in Oertha (Alaska) and that means that it is even more
              > difficult for me to get bobbin lace supplies. http://www.lacis.com/ has
              > been a life saver :)
              >
              > I wish I was a lot closer to help teach, but I can point you in the
              > direction of our Yahoo list and suggest you do a shout out there to see who
              > is close. I just sent you an invite to the WK_Lacemakers list, so watch for
              > it :). I can also suggest some good books to get you started :)
              >
              > Please feel free to ask me anything.I can't promise I have all the answers,
              > but I can at least help find them.
              >

              > Margery
              >
              > ,_._,___

            • Delangelia
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 3, 2013
                Tawny,
                I can get to lacis on my lunch hour, but only for one more week. If you want me to email you pictures of any Lacis stuff before you order, let me know.
                Katherine de Langelei

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Jul 1, 2013, at 11:15 PM, "Tawny" <younicorn@...> wrote:

                > Greetings
                >
                > I'm not sure if this is a good place to ask but I'm wanting to learn to make bobbin lace.
                >
                > What is a good source for supplies?
                >
                > Any advice would be appreciated.
                >
                > humbly
                > Goodwife Tawny

              • Cheryl
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
                  I would like to learn how to make bobbin lace as well. Anyone know of any classes closer than Lacis? I am in Vallejo.

                  Cheryl

                  Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone
                • Tammy Warren
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
                    I live near Seoul, Korea.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
                      Soel would be a bit to far for me to commute to. Sorry.

                      Cheryl

                      Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone
                    • Cynthia Konow Brownell
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 5, 2013
                        Hi...I would also point you to the IOLI website, specifically the IOLILace
                        list. They have a ton of information as well as resources, guilds etc.
                        It's the big US lace guild....

                        Happy hunting,
                        Thea

                        --
                        "I cannot stop the birds of sorrow from flying over me, but I can prevent
                        them from making a nest in my hair." -anonymous