Bobbin Lace

  • Tawny
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2013
      Greetings

      I'm not sure if this is a good place to ask but I'm wanting to learn to make bobbin lace.

      What is a good source for supplies?

      Any advice would be appreciated.

      humbly
      Goodwife Tawny
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2013
        Good morning Tawny,
        The Arachne's Web Guild covers lace . The head of the Arachne's Web
        Guild is Margary Garrett, located in the Principality of Oertha (mudane
        Alaska)

        you do not say where you are located, if you are located anywhere in
        the SF Bay Area, Lacis in Berkeley has all supplies you might need. I
        personally have not been there in quite some time so do not currently
        know what classes they might be offering.

        Here in the South Bay Area the Lace Museum in Sunnyvale has offered
        classes in the past, have not been there in quite a while either.

        Lacis does have a website, not sure about the Lace Museum

        hope this helps a bit.

        Catherine Lorraine

        On 7/1/2013 11:15 PM, Tawny wrote:
        > Greetings
        >
        > I'm not sure if this is a good place to ask but I'm wanting to learn to make bobbin lace.
        >
        > What is a good source for supplies?
        >
        > Any advice would be appreciated.
        >
        > humbly
        > Goodwife Tawny
        >

        > ------------------------------------

      • Debra LaVergne
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2013
          The Lace Museum in Sunnyvale does have a website, and a busy class
          schedule:

          http://www.thelacemuseum.org/

          Ella du Vergne
        • Mikki Michele Griffin
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2013
            Hi Tawny :)

            I second Duchess Lorraine's suggestion of Lacis. Like she pointed out, I am
            all the way up in Oertha (Alaska) and that means that it is even more
            difficult for me to get bobbin lace supplies. http://www.lacis.com/ has
            been a life saver :)

            I wish I was a lot closer to help teach, but I can point you in the
            direction of our Yahoo list and suggest you do a shout out there to see who
            is close. I just sent you an invite to the WK_Lacemakers list, so watch for
            it :). I can also suggest some good books to get you started :)

            Please feel free to ask me anything.I can't promise I have all the answers,
            but I can at least help find them.

            Margery

            ,_._,___

          • Shere'e
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2013
              Please, please, please do NOT get the "teach yourself bobbin lace" kit from
              Lacis. It is commonly known by lacemakers as the "Kit from Hell" The
              bobbins are good and most of the kit is ok but the book is HORRID! You
              would be better off getting thier bobbins and a better quality pillow (the
              kit one is a really cheap piece of craft foam) and "Lessons in Bobbin
              Lacemaking" by Doris Southard.

              Miranda
              On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Mikki Michele Griffin
              <motherchaos@...>wrote:

              > Hi Tawny :)
              >
              > I second Duchess Lorraine's suggestion of Lacis. Like she pointed out, I
              > am
              > all the way up in Oertha (Alaska) and that means that it is even more
              > difficult for me to get bobbin lace supplies. http://www.lacis.com/ has
              > been a life saver :)

            • Tammy Warren
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2, 2013
                Greetings

                Thank you for the invites and information.
                I'm currently teaching English in South Korea. That means I'm in the
                Stronghold of Warrior's Gate in the Palatine Barony of the Far West.
                Getting supplies here may be even harder than in Alaska.

                I attended a lace making class about five years ago when I lived in Moscow
                Idaho.
                I knew a friend in England that made bobbin lace and have found it very
                interesting.
                It has been something I've been wanting to do more of.
                I consider myself a good seamstress and I can do the basics of many kinds
                of needle works.

                humbly
                Goodwife Tawny
                SKA - Thomasina de Buckley
                MKA - Tammy Warren

              • tongarii
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 2, 2013
                  The Lace Museum in Sunnyvale, CA has supplies. They do have classes that you can take ask for Pat as she is the most experienced lace maker.

                  Mistress Margery could you send me the link for the lacemakers group. I am a member of the bobbin lace group but their focus is very modern.

                  Jocelyn of Rowenwood
                  Guild Minister

                  --- In WKneedle@yahoogroups.com, Mikki Michele Griffin <motherchaos@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Tawny :)
                  >
                  > I second Duchess Lorraine's suggestion of Lacis. Like she pointed out, I am
                  > all the way up in Oertha (Alaska) and that means that it is even more
                  > difficult for me to get bobbin lace supplies. http://www.lacis.com/ has
                  > been a life saver :)
                  >
                  > I wish I was a lot closer to help teach, but I can point you in the
                  > direction of our Yahoo list and suggest you do a shout out there to see who
                  > is close. I just sent you an invite to the WK_Lacemakers list, so watch for
                  > it :). I can also suggest some good books to get you started :)
                  >
                  > Please feel free to ask me anything.I can't promise I have all the answers,
                  > but I can at least help find them.
                  >

                  > Margery
                  >
                  > ,_._,___

                • Delangelia
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 3, 2013
                    Tawny,
                    I can get to lacis on my lunch hour, but only for one more week. If you want me to email you pictures of any Lacis stuff before you order, let me know.
                    Katherine de Langelei

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Jul 1, 2013, at 11:15 PM, "Tawny" <younicorn@...> wrote:

                    > Greetings
                    >
                    > I'm not sure if this is a good place to ask but I'm wanting to learn to make bobbin lace.
                    >
                    > What is a good source for supplies?
                    >
                    > Any advice would be appreciated.
                    >
                    > humbly
                    > Goodwife Tawny

                  • Cheryl
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
                      I would like to learn how to make bobbin lace as well. Anyone know of any classes closer than Lacis? I am in Vallejo.

                      Cheryl

                      Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone
                    • Tammy Warren
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
                        I live near Seoul, Korea.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
                          Soel would be a bit to far for me to commute to. Sorry.

                          Cheryl

                          Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone
                        • Cynthia Konow Brownell
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 5, 2013
                            Hi...I would also point you to the IOLI website, specifically the IOLILace
                            list. They have a ton of information as well as resources, guilds etc.
                            It's the big US lace guild....

                            Happy hunting,
                            Thea

                            --
                            "I cannot stop the birds of sorrow from flying over me, but I can prevent
                            them from making a nest in my hair." -anonymous