Re: [WKneedle] Apprenticeship info needed

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2002
      >Greetings, Needleworkers of the West! I have finally
      >decided to take the plunge and formally begin my
      >needleworking apprenticeship. I have a few questions
      >that are not on the guild's web page, and I thought I
      >could get some answers in this forum. I really need
      >these answers before I can start work.
      >
      >1) I need a mentor. I am still rather new at
      >needleworking, and I would like some professional
      >feedback. Is there anyone in or near the
      >Livermore/Pleasanton area whom I could consult?

      While we don't have anyone in the immediate area, perhaps someone on
      the list would be willing to meet separately with you. Otherwise,
      please try to come to Mentor's Corner at March Crown and we will work
      with you or find someone to work with you.

      >2) I have a little contemporary piece already
      >finished, a small crosstich moose I made for my
      >husband. Could that be used for one of my evaluation
      >pieces, or do I need to do strictly medieval patterns
      >and projects?

      As I mentioned before, it is allowed for the program since the
      objective is for you to learn the stitches as well as develop a sense
      of the process a medieval needleworker would undertake - but it is
      not period and so should not be entered for anything else

      >3) How much machine work is allowed? I have
      >tendonitis, and I really like to use a machine if
      >possible.

      the needlework has to be hand done - the rest is up to you, but we do
      like to see backsides of work

      Remember the objective of the Apprenticeship Program is for you to
      learn and to challenge yourself. We also, hope you will have fun
      doing so.

      "So simple, so beautiful, so easy - ask me how."