Re: Assisi and Long Arm Cross Stitch

  • L T
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 22 9:30 AM
      You may want to watch this video on Long Arm Cross Stitch through the How To History website - I think the way she is doing her stitches will result in the same effect you are seeing.

      http://www.howtohistory.com/2011/02/top-ten-medieval-embroidery-stitches-9-long-armed-cross-stitch/

      It is explained by Mistress Briony of Chatham, East Kingdom. She has posted videos for 10 common embroidery stitches.

      http://www.howtohistory.com is authored by Mistress Mira (OL) and Syr Cedric (OC, OL). If you "like" How To History on facebook there are some links posted that are not available on the website. The original videos are posted to YouTube.

      Lisa / Bryn Millar
      East Kingdom
    • Rosamond de Montfort
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 25 9:12 PM
        Hello everyone,

        Sorry for the delay in relying - I've had internet connection issues. :(
        Thank you so much for all your help regarding long arm cross stitch - you've helped save my sanity! At least I now know it's not me being stupid.

        I do kind of like the braided effect, but most examples that I have seen online don't appear to have the braids - they all seem quite smooth.

        I did find a way to work from R to L and not end up with the braided effect. I found that if I changed the direction of the long arm on the return row, then it was smoother without ridges and valleys.

        1st Row: Long arm goes from bottom left to top right, Return row: Long arm goes from bottom right to top left.

        But it might not be period so I'm going to work all the rows L to R. *sigh*.

        Many thanks for your help, Rosamond

      • Rosamond de Montfort
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 25 9:13 PM
          I forgot to add...

          The other thing I was wondering is about the back of the work. I've not managed to find any pics of extant examples showing the back. Does anyone know if all the threads were vertical on the back without a single thread out of place, or were there some diagonal threads as they skipped a square or two?

          Thanks, Rosamond