Re: [WKneedle] embroidered objects for men?

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 15, 2010
      On Apr 15, 2010, at 1:14 PM, Joan Hall wrote:

      > I'm working on some largesse-type items and I want them to be things
      > you could give a man. Any ideas? All I can think of are pouches
      > and book covers. I have a book on 16th c. German needlework
      > patterns which should be suitable. After all, nothing says
      > "testosterone" like the Screaming Eagle!!

      Right on! <g>

      I had to hunt around a bit, but I finally found the list of ideas I
      put together a few years ago. You're right, there aren't a lot of "guy
      things" in the list. Here's what I said in response to a similar
      question:

      > Small purses or pouches -- any size from about 3x3" on up
      > Pincushions
      > Sachets
      > Needle cases
      > Bookmarks (probably not an item embroidered in period, most seem to
      > be woven)
      > Kitchen-size linen towels with decoration added
      > Handkerchiefs
      > Pouches big enough to hold a checkbook/wallet and other personal
      > necessities
      > Lengths of embroidered trim (need to be at least 2 yards to be useful)
      > Covered small pocket notebooks
      >
      > Someone on another list has also suggested simple caps or coifs (such
      > as a biggin cap) with embroidered edges (one size fits many)
      >
      > It's harder to think of things that would be suitable gifts for men --
      > one that comes to my mind is a key case, in which you can hide your
      > mundane keys at an event and still have them handy. That's not a
      > medieval item, though, as far as I know.

      I'd certainly welcome more ideas, especially for "guy things." ;)

      I had also thought about keychain tags, but I don't know how well any
      needlework would stand up to being shoved in someone's grimy pocket
      and hauled out again. These days there are innumerable little plastic
      keytag-things that something like that could be inserted into, but
      that would produce a very unmedieval-looking object.

      I also have some inexpensive glass paperweights (about 3" square) that
      have a place to put an insert in the bottom that will show through the
      glass. Like a lot of such things, I got them from Oriental Trading
      online (lots of cheap junk, some decent "decorate your own" items like
      this, and if you ever order from them you will be *deluged* with
      catalogs!).

    • Katherine de Langelei
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 15, 2010
        "After all, nothing says "testosterone" like the Screaming Eagle!!"

        Bahaaaahaaa!  Joan, you are wonderful!

        other embroidered items that go over well with the manly crowd could be haversacks (i.e. "man bags") and those cool decorated "viking hats".
        belt pouches too.
        but I have to say the embroidered book cover is usable for everyone.

        Katherine de Langelei
        West Kingdom Needleworker's Guild Minister
        Principality of the Mists Gold Key
        Mother of Teenager

        "Well yes, I am THAT Katherine... no wait!  I can explain...!  ;-)"

        I'm working on some largesse-type items and I want them to be things you could give a man. Any ideas? All I can think of are pouches and book covers. I have a book on 16th c. German needlework patterns which should be suitable. After all, nothing says "testosterone" like the Screaming Eagle!!

        --Joan the Harper

        Joan Hall
        website: http://www.winecoun tryharpist. com
        Facebook: http://www.facebook .com/JoantheHarp ist

      • Aurelia de Montfort
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 15, 2010
          Men need sewing kits too! By the way, the challenge was to the Uber
          Ultra Secret Stringmakers. The idea is to make largesse out of things
          you already have or scraps from other projects. How creative can you
          get?

          On 4/15/10, Katherine de Langelei <delangelia@...> wrote:
          > "After all, nothing says "testosterone" like the Screaming Eagle!!"
          >
          > Bahaaaahaaa!  Joan, you are wonderful!
          >
          > other embroidered items that go over well with the manly crowd could be
          > haversacks (i.e. "man bags") and those cool decorated "viking hats".
          > belt pouches too.
          > but I have to say the embroidered book cover is usable for everyone.
          >

          > Katherine de Langelei
          > West Kingdom Needleworker's Guild Minister
          > Principality of the Mists Gold Key
          > Mother of Teenager
          >
          > "Well yes, I am THAT Katherine... no wait!  I can explain...!  ;-)"

          ~~Auree

          "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." ~ Carl Sagan
        • Leslie Cox
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 15, 2010
            My Lord says, how about nice arming caps, and I add caps and coifs of
            various kinds, perhaps?

            Belt favors with populace badges worked on them? (oop - I see that one's
            been suggested already...)

            Just thoughts off the top of our heads...

            -- Smiles, Lucy Rose Falconer

            On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Joan Hall
            <joan_the_harpist1119@...>wrote:

            > I'm working on some largesse-type items and I want them to be things you
            > could give a man. Any ideas? All I can think of are pouches and book covers.
            > I have a book on 16th c. German needlework patterns which should be
            > suitable. After all, nothing says "testosterone" like the Screaming Eagle!!
            >
            > --Joan the Harper
            >
            > Joan Hall
            > website: http://www.winecountryharpist.com
            > Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JoantheHarpist

          • Yvianne
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 16, 2010
              Tankard and bottle identification tags.
              Just a small embroidered motif folded over and attached to a colored hair
              elastic. It slips over a bottle (beer or sports drink) or can be wrapped
              around the handle of a tankard.

              A small pouch to carry bottle caps in with a separate pocket for the
              corkscrew/bottle opener combo.

              A "wallet" to carry authorization and ID in
              My lord received one of these a few years ago. It's like a bifold wallet
              made out of fabric. It has ties to hold it closed and a sturdy clip that can
              be attached to a strap on his armor when he goes to get inspected or on his
              armor bag when he's on the field

              I've made a few patches (mostly knotwork motifs) that have been sewn to the
              outside of gear bags for immediate identification.

              For the more artistically inclined (heralds, scribes and the occasional
              Knight who is bored at court ;-)
              I've made colored pencil & paper wraps.
              Mine are a bit different, but I did a quick Google search and found this one
              online
              http://oneredrobin.com/2006/11/30/how-to-make-a-notebook-pencil-holder/
              It's a bit loud :-) but you should be able to see the potential

              Regards,
              Yvianne de Castel d'Avignon
            • Katherine de Langelei

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 16, 2010
                  About "key cases" --

                  I carry my everyday keys around (including my car key) on a long cord,
                  which is why I thought of making a key case to hide them.

                  The general idea is to use just the outer case part of our "needle
                  case" pattern <http://wkneedle.bayrose.org/Articles/needlecase.html>
                  sized to fit over the bunch of keys. I've had one sitting in my
                  "unfinished projects" box for quite some time now.... hmmmm, gotta get
                  on that.*

                  Like a number of projects, this is more along the lines of
                  "medievalized modern object" than like any actual medieval object I
                  can think of -- but that's also true of a lot of other largesse
                  projects, so I don't let that stop me from doing them if they look
                  like useful things to have or give. ;)

                  -------------
                  *Oddly enough, just putting the thread and canvas into a bag and
                  letting it sit in my projects basket does _not_ result in the project
                  embroidering itself! <g> Maybe someone should issue an "finish an
                  unfinished project" challenge later this spring....

                • Leslie Cox
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 16, 2010
                    By the way, Joan - judging by the wonderful discussion going, I have to say,
                    thanks for the very excellent question that is generating all kinds of
                    creativity (even if it also seems to be creating guilt for those of us with
                    plenty of UFO's -unfinished objects - in our baskets.

                    Hear, hear! :-D

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 16, 2010
                      UFOs are what inspired me. Sometimes you need the sense of
                      accomplishment a finished project offers. I do things that take 15
                      minutes just to get that feeling. it helps me think the unfinished
                      project is not so tough.

                      On 4/16/10, Leslie Cox <lucyrosefalconer@...> wrote:
                      > By the way, Joan - judging by the wonderful discussion going, I have to say,
                      > thanks for the very excellent question that is generating all kinds of
                      > creativity (even if it also seems to be creating guilt for those of us with
                      > plenty of UFO's -unfinished objects - in our baskets.
                      >
                      > Hear, hear! :-D
                      >
                      > Lucy Rose Falconer
                      >

                      > On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Joan Hall
                      > <joan_the_harpist1119@...>wrote:
                      >

                      >> I'm working on some largesse-type items and I want them to be things you
                      >> could give a man. Any ideas? All I can think of are pouches and book
                      >> covers.
                      >> I have a book on 16th c. German needlework patterns which should be
                      >> suitable. After all, nothing says "testosterone" like the Screaming
                      >> Eagle!!
                      >>
                      >> --Joan the Harper
                      >>
                      >> Joan Hall
                      >> website: http://www.winecountryharpist.com
                      >> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JoantheHarpist

                      ~~Auree

                      "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." ~ Carl Sagan
                    • Karla Norris
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 16, 2010
                        Napkins and bookmarks! Even heavy fighters can or should use them:)

                        Melisande de Frane, OL

                        To: aureellia@...
                        CC: wkneedle@yahoogroups.com; joan_the_harpist1119@...