Re: [WKneedle] celtic embroidery?

  • lilinah@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
      arianna wrote:
      > Can anyone point me to resources for celtic embroidery??

      The answer rather depends on a few things:

      1.) What you mean by "Celtic".

      The Celts started out in far eastern Europe and gradually made their
      way westward. Remains of their culture - rather lovely things - have
      been found in Switzerland, Austria, and points east. And there are
      Celtic cultures still today in Spain, France, Wales, Scotland, and
      Ireland.

      So do you mean:
      --- a.) Celtic cultures in general?
      --- b.) From a particular time period?
      --- c.) From a specific Celtic culture?

      2.) Whether you want actual historic Celtic embroidery or SCA-Celtic
      embroidery.

      --- a.) Actual historic Celtic embroidery
      There's little actual embroidery surviving from within any of the
      Celtic cultures i know of. Perhaps someone here can point you to some
      genuine historical resources.

      --- b.) SCA-Celtic embroidery

      There's a lot of what i'm calling SCA-Celtic embroidery - or at least
      books with Celtic designs adapted or adaptable for embroidery.

      For starters, there are some inexpensive books published by Dover
      Press that have charts of patterns taken from mostly Irish and
      Insular art.

      For Celtic (usually means British Isles and Irish) designs see:
      a complete list of Aidan Meehan's excellent books:
      http://www.amazon.com/Aidan-Meehans-Books/lm/R2XNADNKJ5BT9Z/ref=cm_lmt_srch_f_2_rsrssi0
      which demonstrate how to create various types of Celtic patterns and
      adopt them to various shapes.

      For those inexpensive books published by Dover, go to Amazon, in the
      Search box select "Books" from the drop down menu, and type in Celtic
      Dover into the next box. You'll get more than those published by
      Dover, but most are.

      Similarly, type in Celtic Embroidery, and you'll find many books with
      Celtic (i.e., mostly Irish and Insular) designs adapted for
      embroidery (along with some other unrelated stuff).

      The two books (Celtic Embroidery and Celtic Design, Pattern & Color)
      by Master Gerald of Ipsley and Master Robert of Coldcastle, include
      patterns from similar Irish and Insular sources and others, such as
      stonework and metalwork.

      Since there's little to no surviving embroidery, their premise is
      that if there was embroidery the designs would be similar to those
      found on other items from the culture. I bought their two Celtic
      books after taking their classes a Pennsic a couple years ago. Fun
      enjoyable classes. But as wonderful as their stuff is, little is
      taken from textile sources.

      They have now expanded into "Viking" design - actually Scandinavian -
      most Scandinavian stuff is not from the Viking period which was a
      limited time period.

      Hmmm, odd, i can't find their website now. I did find their two
      Celtic books for sale at Pot Boiler Press:
      http://potboilerpress.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7

      Here's a description of one of them, taken from the West Kingdom
      Needleworkers Guild website
      http://wkneedle.bayrose.org/booklist/Book-EmbGen.html
      > Celtic Embroidery
      > Hubbell, Gerald & Robert Kalthoff (SCA: Gerald of Ipsley & Robert
      >of Coldcastle)
      > self-published, May 2001
      > With an eye toward determining what would have been done, they
      >review all the extent items, designs and drawings. From that they
      >suggest methods used and colors. Many drawings are provided for your
      >use as well as the underlying theories behind the drawings. SB
      > Intermediate

      For views of the covers see:
      --- Celtic Embroidery
      http://www.librarything.com/work/827229

      --- Celtic Design, Pattern & Color
      http://www.librarything.com/work/5242881
      --
      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      the persona formerly known as Anahita
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
        Re Master Gerald of Ipsley and Master Robert of Coldcastle and their
        two books (Celtic Embroidery and Celtic Design, Pattern & Color),
        here are links to their apparently defunct website which was:
        http://malverack.com/

        Via the magic of the Wayback Machine, you can see what they posted
        about "Celtic Embroidery",:
        http://web.archive.org/web/20041014231348/malverack.com/gallery_2/celtic_art.htm

        For a little on "Celtic Design", see:
        http://web.archive.org/web/20050523214824/www.malverack.com/gallery_2/celtic_design.htm

        Obviously do not try to order the books from this archived version of
        their missing website, which seems to have gone away after 2005.

        And their bios on line until the end of 2005:
        http://web.archive.org/web/20031030011025/www.malverack.com/bios.htm

        I hope this is helpful.