Re: A humble question

  • ladybrynmillar@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2009
      Hi,

      If you are seeking later period documentation then the Jane Bostocke sampler at the Victoria and Albert Museum comes to mind as an example of blackwork embroidery done in red silk thread (many different patterns entirely or partly executed in red silk).The sampler is dated to 1598.

      You can search the link
      http://www.vam.ac.uk/
      for the museum photo of this particular sampler.

      There is also at least one image of a handkerchief embroidered in red silk in this collection. There should be a good description and image of it through the museum site.

      If you are seeking later period embroidery documetation for your piece then you may find a written description here in an inventory of gifts to Queen Elizabeth
      http://www.larsdatter.com/gifts/index.htm

      Are you seeking late period or earlier period work? I'm more familiar with finding resources for later period pieces and would appreciate seeing any resources you are using for earlier period work (to get it more on my radar).

      Bryn Millar
      East Kingdom embroiderer
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Endewearde_Embroiderers/links

      --- On Fri, 5/29/09, WKneedle@yahoogroups.com <WKneedle@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      A humble Question
      Posted by: "Linda" ladyseraphine@...   ladyseraphine
      Thu May 28, 2009 8:41 pm (PDT)

      I am looking for an extant example of embroidery done in Red Thread in Medieval Times. I know there are some out there but it would seem that I have lost the link or lost my brain.

      I am wanting to do an embroidery using red silk thread on linen for some cuffs and I wanted to support it.

      Thank you in advance for your time.

      YIS
      Lady Seraphine

      Messages in this topic (1)

      2.

      Thank You
      Posted by: "Linda" ladyseraphine@...   ladyseraphine
      Fri May 29, 2009 8:14 am (PDT)

      Thank you so very much for your help, when I am finished I will post a picture to be seen, I can in no way compete with all of you, but I am working toward learning this craft of embroidery.

      YIS
      Lady Seraphine